Sabans recruiting pitch is everything you thought it would be

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
He has to change basically his whole coaching staff and players every few years, yet his teams still dominate. He is the only constant. Not only he is a great coach and great recruiter, but he is also great at hiring the right coaches.

But, yes, without Alabama or LSU talent, he isn't winning championships, but still, he can do it consistently with the talent.
"great at hiring the right coaches." Something we have done poorly for 20 years.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
His pitch is good but I would stop way short of incredible. Its all about one thing - putting people in the NFL.. What about all the Bama players who don't make it to the NFL - where are they today?

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
Here is a quick thought over my morning coffee. He mentions 64 players in the "league". Every year he has around 100 players on on scholarship/PWO. In the last 4 years that is 400 young men that soon will need to find their way in the world. 64 out of 400 means 16% have a job and good income with which to plan a future ( career outside football, family, etc.). I never hear him mention a college education or degree for the other 84% or their prospects after Alabama. What about them? Is he too busy doing AFLAC commercials to care? These are critical recruiting points to use with 95% of the rest of the HS student-athletes out there that have a lot of talent and potential regardless of star rating. Just sayin'.
That’s assuming none of the other 84% have a good income. You can’t assume that. On top of those that rent to non-football careers are those that may play overseas, Canadian football, arena football, or even as coaches.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
Nothing untrue in there. What Saban doesn't say, and the recruit is too young to realize, is that pitch is the reason Saban makes millions every year. He got whipped in the NFL when he had to excel as a coach. In the college game where he needs only excel as a recruiter, he has the ability to pile up those gaudy statistics. And because he piled them up as a grabber of talent instead of developer of talent, the statistics lose their meaing.

Alabama under Saban doesn't "send people" to the NFL as much as it's really good at directing traffic through Alabama to the NFL that would've gotten drafted from wherever.
There are plenty of colleges that pull in great recruiting class after great recruiting class with no where near the same success as Saban.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Nick Saban’s job is not to worry about what any player does after college football. There is a thing called personal accountability. You guys should ask the human beings who make up the 84% why their life is like it is. All these guys are grown adults. They have the freedom to make poor choices. If they want to go to Bama, UGA, or GT and then become bums they have that right. See Crittenton as a GT example. It’s not Sabans job to be a parent. That’s the parents job (if they care to bother with it).

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
It's too bad that he started this recording after Sabam had already promoted the great education that Alabama offers, and the tremedous prestige and value of a degree in physical education from Alabama.

:lol:

If anyone ever again claims that these football programs are ANYTHING but NFL farm programs, totally divorced and unrelated to the universities whose name they bear, play them this video.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
His pitch is good but I would stop way short of incredible. Its all about one thing - putting people in the NFL.. What about all the Bama players who don't make it to the NFL - where are they today?
4 and 5 star recruits could not care less about what happens to people who don't make it to the NFL. Telling them to consider the possibility is equivalent to telling them they're not great players.

Saban's pitch is great for a football coach trying to win football games.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
I never hear him mention a college education or degree for the other 84% or their prospects after Alabama. What about them? Is he too busy doing AFLAC commercials to care? These are critical recruiting points to use with 95% of the rest of the HS student-athletes out there that have a lot of talent and potential regardless of star rating. Just sayin'.
I would assume he uses a different pitch for recruits who don't think they can make the NFL.

I would also assume that Nick Saban doesn't have to do that quite as much as a lot of other programs.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
I would assume he uses a different pitch for recruits who don't think they can make the NFL.

I would also assume that Nick Saban doesn't have to do that quite as much as a lot of other programs.
Alabama doesn’t recruit anyone who doesn’t think they can make the NFL. All these kids getting FBS offers think they are making the NFL.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There are plenty of colleges that pull in great recruiting class after great recruiting class with no where near the same success as Saban.

There are maybe 5 that recruit at that level consistently. UGA is the one that does the least. OU, Clemson, OSU all show up in the playoffs almost every year too.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Saban focuses on the NFL because he recruits a lot of 4 and 5 stars. They will not all make the NFL, but coming out of high school they sure expect to get their chance. His pitch does a great job of arguing why you would go to Bama with so many talented recruits and have to compete for playing time. It will make you better. You will likely play for and win championships. Good reasons.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
That part of the pitch is off the record ;)

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
Jobs from people that graduated from Bama.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Jobs from people that graduated from Bama.
Only so many of those to go around, especially when you find out the Bama grad is a dumbass who offers no more football eligibility to Bama so you may as well pay a doorstop.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I wonder to what degree coaches are mindful of the current virtual format for these "visits." I get the sense that there are probably some things coaches would say face to face that they wouldn't feel comfortable doing over zoom.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Kirbs "see these?" (Holds up slips of paper)

Recruit, intrigued, "yes, what are those?"

"Great Clips $5 haircut coupons, and there's plenty of them..if you know what I mean" says Kirbs proudly "as many as you'll ever need"
Those things are gold in my neck of the woods. I’d be sold.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Saban doesn’t care about that. He is paid to win football games. If you aren’t progressing to at least have a shot at UFA in the NFL, then he wants you to transfer or get a medical waiver so you don’t count towards his scholarship limit. Maybe graduate early and become a grad transfer at a better college.