Sad to say: Tech Football Is No Fun Anymore

Bullshit. You are likely one of those idiot GT fans who like to believe that GT is so academically rigorous that we could not possibly recruit top athletes. That is a lame excuse and is crap. GT has grown tremendously over the past decade. It is a world class school in one of the most vibrant cities in the United States. We don't necessarily have to put in a wiffle ball field for players not to use to try to draw players to GT. We are already in Atlanta.
If you want to continue with your "woe is us" 1970's and 1980's GT bullshit, fine. We are every bit as capable of recruiting against Clemson and UGAg.
Wouldn't mind weeding out a few of our lesser fans. Any way you can put yourself in the fan portal? Maybe Auburn or LSU will pick you up.
And you must be one of the on the hippie lettuce. To think that we can recruit with the likes of them is insane? We never have been able to and now you think magically we can? The academics still play a huge role in it.....although not as much. When we can't hide players in elective courses for 2 yrs as the rest do...that's an issue. But to think that CGC has somehow how gotten us over that obstacle is ridiculous. We'll always be playing 2nd chair with the likes of the top recruiting schools in the country. That's just the facts

So far, he's had one year and got 4* Sims and 4* Gibbs.
yeah...2 4 stars. That in and of itself is a miracle (I'm personally waiting to find out how when we get put on probation). But 2 4 stars versus the 20 they get plus the 5's doesn't substantiate your claim that we can..... I'm no mathematician but the numbers don't line up for your argument. We weren't even doing that with Gailey or better yet O'Leary..... but what do I know....I'm only going back 25 yrs

Bullshit. You are likely one of those idiot GT fans who like to believe that GT is so academically rigorous that we could not possibly recruit top athletes. That is a lame excuse and is crap. GT has grown tremendously over the past decade. It is a world class school in one of the most vibrant cities in the United States. We don't necessarily have to put in a wiffle ball field for players not to use to try to draw players to GT. We are already in Atlanta.
If you want to continue with your "woe is us" 1970's and 1980's GT bullshit, fine. We are every bit as capable of recruiting against Clemson and UGAg.
Wouldn't mind weeding out a few of our lesser fans. Any way you can put yourself in the fan portal? Maybe Auburn or LSU will pick you up.
Malcolm Mitchell says Hi.

And you must be one of the on the hippie lettuce. To think that we can recruit with the likes of them is insane? We never have been able to and now you think magically we can? The academics still play a huge role in it.....although not as much. When we can't hide players in elective courses for 2 yrs as the rest do...that's an issue. But to think that CGC has somehow how gotten us over that obstacle is ridiculous. We'll always be playing 2nd chair with the likes of the top recruiting schools in the country. That's just the facts
I use to think like you, but the landscape has changed quite a lot. A decade ago Clemson was a mid level team and had been for decades. Now they pull talent better than anyone. So to say it can’t happen elsewhere is not looking at history. I also remember the decade where the almighty Bama stunk. Also, regarding GT, we have been our own worse enemy. Since 2002 (when this years recruits were born) we had 2 coaches that brought the excitement of a piece of plywood to GT football. Gailey and Johnson to teenagers were like grandparents. I love the current experiment undertaken by TStan. Hire a young, high energy guy with GT ties and bring in former great GT players (Choice, Key, Coleman) and bring some excitement back to Georgia Tech. We’ll see if it succeeds over the next five years.

Regarding the role of the academic side, a lot has changed there as well. GT is no longer the gauntlet we all love to remember. Sure, it’s hard to get in because of Hope and the number of high level applicants, but once you are in the retention rate is so much higher than it use to be. The days of look to your left and right are over. I know several current students at GT (my kids are high school seniors) and when I see them back home at sporting events or here at my house, they don’t even bring up the rigor of GT. I’ve asked them specifically about that and they say it’s not anything they can’t handle. We all know that academia has been ”dumbed down” because it’s all a money grab at this point. My son has a former teammate who is now at Columbia University in his 2nd year. He says it’s not bad at all. Point is, we can keep players eligible a whole lot easier now than 20 plus years ago so that’s not a hurdle Collins can’t overcome.

I use to think like you, but the landscape has changed quite a lot. A decade ago Clemson was a mid level team and had been for decades. Now they pull talent better than anyone. So to say it can’t happen elsewhere is not looking at history. I also remember the decade where the almighty Bama stunk. Also, regarding GT, we have been our own worse enemy. Since 2002 (when this years recruits were born) we had 2 coaches that brought the excitement of a piece of plywood to GT football. Gailey and Johnson to teenagers were like grandparents. I love the current experiment undertaken by TStan. Hire a young, high energy guy with GT ties and bring in former great GT players (Choice, Key, Coleman) and bring some excitement back to Georgia Tech. We’ll see if it succeeds over the next five years.

Regarding the role of the academic side, a lot has changed there as well. GT is no longer the gauntlet we all love to remember. Sure, it’s hard to get in because of Hope and the number of high level applicants, but once you are in the retention rate is so much higher than it use to be. The days of look to your left and right are over. I know several current students at GT (my kids are high school seniors) and when I see them back home at sporting events or here at my house, they don’t even bring up the rigor of GT. I’ve asked them specifically about that and they say it’s not anything they can’t handle. We all know that academia has been ”dumbed down” because it’s all a money grab at this point. My son has a former teammate who is now at Columbia University in his 2nd year. He says it’s not bad at all. Point is, we can keep players eligible a whole lot easier now than 20 plus years ago so that’s not a hurdle Collins can’t overcome.

Clemson has been filling up an 80k stadium for decades. They have a much larger alumni base. We are an engineering school, they are multi-disciplinary. Have a friend that studied engineering there. She talked about her roommate was an elementary education major whose homework consisted of reading children's books, so she went and partied every night. How much more attractive is that to a future NFL'er. Have you been to Clemson and seen the eye candy there? Point being, when Clemson was a mid level team, it was because they had ööööty coaching and good players. Look at their NFL alumni over the last 25 years. And they were still beating their rival USC with the exception of Spurrier. So they owned the state. If you think we are on an equal footing with Clemson now or in the past when it comes to things other than coaching, you are delusional. We had a run of truly exceptional coaches while they made some mediocre hires. Ross, O'Leary, Friedgen, Johnson, even Gailey. That's what made us able to compete with Clemson for a couple of decades.

Clemson has been filling up an 80k stadium for decades. They have a much larger alumni base. We are an engineering school, they are multi-disciplinary. Have a friend that studied engineering there. She talked about her roommate was an elementary education major whose homework consisted of reading children's books, so she went and partied every night. How much more attractive is that to a future NFL'er. Have you been to Clemson and seen the eye candy there? Point being, when Clemson was a mid level team, it was because they had ööööty coaching and good players. Look at their NFL alumni over the last 25 years. And they were still beating their rival USC with the exception of Spurrier. So they owned the state. If you think we are on an equal footing with Clemson now or in the past when it comes to things other than coaching, you are delusional. We had a run of truly exceptional coaches while they made some mediocre hires. Ross, O'Leary, Friedgen, Johnson, even Gailey. That's what made us able to compete with Clemson for a couple of decades.
Tech has a TON of non-engineering majors now. It's not just Engineering or IM like back in the day. You have applied language and intercultural studies, business, international affairs, public policy, psychology, history technology and society . . . and a ton of fun minors to hide for two or three years those who are less interested in academically rigorous programs . . . film and media, social justice (!!!), science fiction studies, physiology (!!!), etc., etc. PLENTY of things to keep those 1000 SAT "student-athletes" enrolled if that's the way you have to go.

And it's also almost 1/3 females now - not 12% like back in the day. Don't necessarily have to hit up those girls from Agnes Scott or the nursing college these days. Plus you're in the ATL, not the hinterlands of backwards ass Cowtown, South Carolina. The ATL has a lot more single women than it does men. If you can't find female companionship in Atlanta, you're a loser.

And there is reality. Even at Clemson . . . only EIGHT players got drafted into the NFL last year. Eight. Seven the year before that. They sign 25 or 30 recuits every year, and the vast majority never see an NFL roster at all. And some kids even realize that . . . no matter how much they might dream of the NFL, and even if they are 3 or 4 star. Those are the ones you have to go after hard. As an extreme example, look at Calvin Johnson's family, who his parents were, and it's not a complete shocker then that he chose a school like Georgia Tech - as his father once remarked. And if that NFL dream doesn't work out for your son, Mom, would you rather that he had a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the country, or a printed piece of toilet paper that says "Clemson?"

IMO, there is a lot for Tech to sell.

I didn't think Clemson had that much larger of a alumni base. I think they are mostly sidewalk fans. GT is more of a national/international school where the grads scatter. Clemson grads go live in Powdersville or Spartanburg. Maybe even Florence.

Tech has a TON of non-engineering majors now. It's not just Engineering or IM like back in the day. You have applied language and intercultural studies, business, international affairs, public policy, psychology, history technology and society . . . and a ton of fun minors to hide for two or three years those who are less interested in academically rigorous programs . . . film and media, social justice (!!!), science fiction studies, physiology (!!!), etc., etc. PLENTY of things to keep those 1000 SAT "student-athletes" enrolled if that's the way you have to go.

And it's also almost 1/3 females now - not 12% like back in the day. Don't necessarily have to hit up those girls from Agnes Scott or the nursing college these days. Plus you're in the ATL, not the hinterlands of backwards ass Cowtown, South Carolina. The ATL has a lot more single women than it does men. If you can't find female companionship in Atlanta, you're a loser.

And there is reality. Even at Clemson . . . only EIGHT players got drafted into the NFL last year. Eight. Seven the year before that. They sign 25 or 30 recuits every year, and the vast majority never see an NFL roster at all. And some kids even realize that . . . no matter how much they might dream of the NFL, and even if they are 3 or 4 star. Those are the ones you have to go after hard. As an extreme example, look at Calvin Johnson's family, who his parents were, and it's not a complete shocker then that he chose a school like Georgia Tech - as his father once remarked. And if that NFL dream doesn't work out for your son, Mom, would you rather that he had a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the country, or a printed piece of toilet paper that says "Clemson?"

Aren't all those fun majors BS vs BA programs? Plus, I don't know how many kids are having that fun, because the avg SAT is now near 1450.

Well we had incredible linebackers for as long as I can remember. A few of them were announced as not meeting min but got in based on background, commitment, etc. And those monster all pro LBers did well in school. Now since Probation, our linebackers generally are different. They look like Navy LBers now and there is a reason.

I hear you and don’t disagree. GT is not on that level right now. But Collins isn’t selling “eye candy” and basket weaving. He’s selling living in the city that is a magnet for African Americans of all stripes (artists, entrepreneurs, professionals) that can open many doors. His method has already proven it works as his 1 recruiting class was one of our best ever. That’s an incredible accomplishment with 1 year on the job. That’s why I’m a Dabo fan. He saw what Clemson’s weaknesses and strengths were as you pointed out formed a game plan to change it. And it worked.

I think what Collins is doing for the GT brand amongst teenaged football players is spot on and GT and our future coaches will benefit from it. You have to remember, every middle and high school football player has only seen one type of GT football since they were born - a one dimensional team with short non passing QB’s and a coach who yells at everyone. Nobody even knows we had some success other than us because no one cares about Orange bowls anymore. I remember several years back we had half my sons high school football team at my house on a Saturday. The announcers made the usual comment about our coach being a genius because he didn’t need a play sheet. The kids started laughing because one of them said something along the lines of, well what kind of playsheet do you need to either hand it to the RB to get tackled immediately, or pitch it to a guy who gets crushed immediately or to call a deep pass on 3rd and 25. The GT football reputation amongst those who matter (high school players) was a joke. It’s not any more. Another side story, a kid from our high school got offered and signed with GT. It was his only P5 offer because he wasn’t a P5 player. He knew it, his parents knew it, but he took it and got an education he wouldn’t have gotten at the other lower level schools who offered. It’s a feel good story for the kid and his family, but it really showed me how far we had fallen.

We would have never seen Gibbs or Sims in a GT uniform had CPJ stayed. I guess we would have just chalked that up to academics and the Hill as well, right?

Would you be more likely to be seen by a NFL scout at Clemson or GT? Which will showcase your talents best? That is probably what a 5 star is thinking about. Well, there probably are a couple of other things an 18 year old is thinking about. The long term value of a Tech degree in Science Fiction studies versus one at Clemson probably isn't significantly different. You forget that a lot of good football players come from the hinterlands and might not feel as comfortable in a big city. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone does.

We would have never seen Gibbs or Sims in a GT uniform had CPJ stayed. I guess we would have just chalked that up to academics and the Hill as well, right?
If they belonged here academically when CGC recruited them, then they would have belonged when CPJ would have recruited them. If they and others didn't, we will see our grad rate fall, which will not be helpful to recruiting (keep in mind what he's selling).

Back