Satterfield not honoring scholarship offers to some of Petrino's recruits

Not a big deal. For example:

Tech’s roster, for instance, has 16 running backs (including walk-ons) and no tight ends. (Johnson’s offense doesn’t use a tight end.) By comparison, the Temple roster that Collins assembled for the past two seasons has eight running backs and fullbacks and seven tight ends.

Some kids are going to have to go elsewhere. It is what it is.

“We’re just now diving into that film, watching them, seeing if they are going to fit our needs, what we want, and we’ll do some more of that tomorrow,” Satterfield said. “We’ll start talking to those guys tomorrow. Then, really try to get the rest of the class — who are some other guys that we need to look at and we’ll get on those guys as well, probably go see a few as well.”

For God's sake, make sure you take your time, moron.

Is the "new direction" Louisville is headed not have football players involved?

Not a big deal. For example:

Tech’s roster, for instance, has 16 running backs (including walk-ons) and no tight ends. (Johnson’s offense doesn’t use a tight end.) By comparison, the Temple roster that Collins assembled for the past two seasons has eight running backs and fullbacks and seven tight ends.

Some kids are going to have to go elsewhere. It is what it is.

No. No. No. No. No.

You have a frank conservation that playing time will be hard to come by. You let them make a decision to leave. YOU DON'T YANK A GUY'S SCHOLLY. You just don't.

Imagine going through the acceptance process with Tech again. You get accepted. Then, school President is replaced. What if you got a letter saying sorry, with change in leadership, your academic talents are no longer wanted here. Kthkbi.

Cause that’s what happened to these guys.

I’ll own up to Satterfield being my #1 -with Elliott #2. I had Collins lumped in with Others to look at. But I’m all in on Collins -right hire at the right time.

If Satterfield does indeed yank scholly’s then shame on him.

Honoring commits should be part of the switching costs. This is where you “do the right thing.”

Yes. But there's not really anything in Louisville's recent behavior that would suggest they either know or care about "doing the right thing."

I can completely understand if you're Satterfield and you look at the commits and say "wow, these guys just don't fit at all what we want to do and I have other kids that I think do that I can get here if only I had the scholarships available." And his next task should be to pick up the phone, himself, and explain to the kids individually why they don't fit and why he believes they won't get any playing time. But that if they still want to come to Louisville the scholarship is still theirs and in all likelihood they'll be on the scout team for their entire career.

Suppose Satterfield became aware of recruiting irregularities involving some recruits when he took over. Would that change people's thoughts on the matter? Just speculating, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions on what the reasoning might be.

I think we have the right coach at the right time again. This is further evidence of that.

It'll be interesting watch in the coming year what sort of atomic bomb goes off in Louisville because if he treats commits this way no telling how he'll treat dudes on scholly already. I predict locker room issues galore inbound.

It's such a contrast to how Collins has, at least publicly, treated the transition.

Honoring commits should be part of the switching costs. This is where you “do the right thing.”
I am not suggesting there needs to be a quid pro quo, but so many times doing the right thing is rewarded with a kick in the nuts. I know, I know, it is never wrong to do the right thing.

Apart from the ethical issues involved, it just doesn't really make a lot of sense from a numbers perspective. Is Satterfield expecting to get 20 new commits in his first month on the job?

Yes. But there's not really anything in Louisville's recent behavior that would suggest they either know or care about "doing the right thing."

I can completely understand if you're Satterfield and you look at the commits and say "wow, these guys just don't fit at all what we want to do and I have other kids that I think do that I can get here if only I had the scholarships available." And his next task should be to pick up the phone, himself, and explain to the kids individually why they don't fit and why he believes they won't get any playing time. But that if they still want to come to Louisville the scholarship is still theirs and in all likelihood they'll be on the scout team for their entire career.
I am assuming they are talking about not honoring offers made by Petrino's staff, and not running off players already on scholarships.

I am assuming they are talking about not honoring offers made by Petrino's staff, and not running off players already on scholarships.

You are assuming correctly. These are kids who have previously committed to Louisville, at least one of whom was planning on enrolling early. I have no problem with the new coach honestly approaching a kid and his family and telling them the kid doesn't fit and he'll probably never see the field but that he can still come to Louisville on scholarship but he won't do any more than play on the scout team. The new coach doesn't have any control of the timing of things so it's not his fault that it comes just a bit before early signing. But he can have those conversations himself.

Apart from the ethical issues involved, it just doesn't really make a lot of sense from a numbers perspective. Is Satterfield expecting to get 20 new commits in his first month on the job?

Looking at 247's scholarship distribution for Louisville, they have 77 scholarship players Junior or younger now. I don't think they need 20 more.

Considering how bad Louisville is now, can't really blame Satterfield for running off the committs and trying to get talent he is more comfortable with.

Looking at 247's scholarship distribution for Louisville, they have 77 scholarship players Junior or younger now. I don't think they need 20 more.

Considering how bad Louisville is now, can't really blame Satterfield for running off the committs and trying to get talent he is more comfortable with.
And the x-factor is that Petrino may have been sabotaging the program when he suspected he was going to be canned and his buddy Jurich was not there anymore.

Suppose Satterfield became aware of recruiting irregularities involving some recruits when he took over. Would that change people's thoughts on the matter? Just speculating, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions on what the reasoning might be.
This is my feeling as well. Some of the kids' scholarships he yanked were highly recruited. For example, the one offered by Tech was committed to Miami, and had offers from UGAg and Florida.

It doesn't even seem self interested to yank scholarships from a committed player who was so highly recruited when your class is fairly small to begin with.

This is my feeling as well. Some of the kids' scholarships he yanked were highly recruited. For example, the one offered by Tech was committed to Miami, and had offers from UGAg and Florida.

It doesn't even seem self interested to yank scholarships from a committed player who was so highly recruited when your class is fairly small to begin with.
Doesn't matter of they sign of not if there are irregularities. You still getting punished, unless your team is Auburn or UNC

That's a beautiful look

I wished we were doing the same thing

HC are fired & hired for winning, don't graduate enough players, they reorganize the Academic Support Staff, don't win enough games, your wife is looking for new Schools for your kids

I wish GT would allow Coach G the flexibility to cull the herd and get our roster to his liking as soon as logistically possible, rather than making promises to players that might not want those guarantees to begin with

Keeping players in the program where they don't fit is kinda cruel to the players if you ask me, after all CFB is a brutal sport, asking a kid to sacrifice his body with a slim-to-none chance to play isn't doing those players any favors

Plus we need to open up those schollies, I'd like to see us get 10 guys in in January, and then have the full complement of 25 report in the Fall to hit the max of 35

The quicker we can turn over this roster the quicker we close the gap with Clemzon and Muttville

What it is, is GT FB and the GTAA protecting their elitist image at the expense of FB players that are putting their bodies on the line every time they practice

That's a beautiful look

I wished we were doing the same thing

HC are fired & hired for winning, don't graduate enough players, they reorganize the Academic Support Staff, don't win enough games, your wife is looking for new Schools for your kids

I wish GT would allow Coach G the flexibility to cull the herd and get our roster to his liking as soon as logistically possible, rather than making promises to players that might not want those guarantees to begin with

Keeping players in the program where they don't fit is kinda cruel to the players if you ask me, after all CFB is a brutal sport, asking a kid to sacrifice his body with a slim-to-none chance to play isn't doing those players any favors

Plus we need to open up those schollies, I'd like to see us get 10 guys in in January, and then have the full complement of 25 report in the Fall to hit the max of 35

The quicker we can turn over this roster the quicker we close the gap with Clemzon and Muttville

What it is, is GT FB and the GTAA protecting their elitist image at the expense of FB players that are putting their bodies on the line every time they practice

You’re an asshole. This isn’t pro ball where you can cut anybody and it’s just business. These young men are amateurs and college students. It’s fine to have a conversation and let them know they aren’t going to get any playing time. It’s fine if they don’t like that conversation and want to leave on their own accord. It’s absolutely not ok to cut their scholarship off when they didn’t do anything wrong but you think you can do better.

Back