Satterfield to Louisville

I think you need to refresh your recollection as to Pete Carroll's career trajectory...

OP's point is that Carroll:2000::Whiz:2018.

I don't really want Whiz but Carroll is one of the few examples of a mediocre pro coach turning into a great college coach (and then leaving for the pros again, of course).

Ummm, you guys realize that it would be hard to not be successful at USC, right? Lots of resources, huge in state talent pool, etc.

Let’s not pretend that Petey is a great coach because he won at a school that a group of us could win at by showing up to the games on time.

Ummm, you guys realize that it would be hard to not be successful at USC, right? Lots of resources, huge in state talent pool, etc.

Let’s not pretend that Petey is a great coach because he won at a school that a group of us could win at by showing up to the games on time.

And yet they weren't very good in the years leading up to Carroll's hire and they haven't been nearly as good since he left.

I'm going to pretend a coach who won two national championships and seven straight Top 4 finishes is a great coach.

The coach who preceded him showed up to the games on time but finished with a lower winning percentage than dear ol' Chan Gailey.

Plenty of coaches have failed at plenty of 'factory' schools.

Then left and won one Superbowl and made another.

Wow, is KWDS already a thing?

And yet they weren't very good in the years leading up to Carroll's hire and they haven't been nearly as good since he left.

Their lack of sustained success is an enigma to me like Texas’ is.

I'm going to pretend a coach who won two national championships and seven straight Top 4 finishes is a great coach.

The coach who preceded him showed up to the games on time but finished with a lower winning percentage than dear ol' Chan Gailey.

Plenty of coaches have failed at plenty of 'factory' schools.

I still say good. Good coach can do great things at a factory—especially one that is arguably one of the top 5 programs of all time.

A great coach at a place like that is a run like Saban’s.

Back