School needs to make up their mind

I can confirm GT academia reputation in the NE and west is more likely to be coupled with georgias than MIT.

It is what it is. People just don't get that.
And I can confirm that you're wrong about Tech's reputation in the Northeast.

GT is recognized everywhere I have traveled. Didn't Kruschev and Nixon sing our fight song? I wonder how conference affiliation helps with a school's "brand development."

I can confirm GT academia reputation in the NE and west is more likely to be coupled with georgias than MIT.

It is what it is. People just don't get that.

I can confirm that was not my experience at all during my recent job search with companies in New York and Pittsburgh. It was just the opposite; in fact, one company told me they specifically wanted to hire more GT people.

I don't know about the west, but I've never heard of what you're saying in the northeast, even just talking to family friends there about colleges. I remember some other recent grads on here saying the same thing...ptc I think?

What industry were you talking to people in that coupled us with Georgia academically?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Clearly GT is going to be known in highly technical fields. And I guess that makes sense since it is a highly technical school, but unfortunately highly technical people are a small demographic let alone a small draw when it comes to football players, and the common man doesn't know that even the non-technical stuff is really good too. That's what I'm saying, and I think what 33jacket is saying as well.

I can confirm that was not my experience at all during my recent job search with companies in New York and Pittsburgh. It was just the opposite; in fact, one company the me they specifically wanted to hire more GT people.

I don't know about the west, but I've never heard of what you're saying in the northeast, even just talking to family friends there about colleges. I remember some other recent grads on here saying the same thing...ptc I think?

What industry were you talking to people in that coupled us with Georgia academically?

In my experience this confusion has only happened in sporting goods stores outside of the State of Georgia.

In my experience this confusion has only happened in sporting goods stores outside of the State of Georgia.

Same here. Obviously I am in a technical field but even professionals outside of pure technical fields in the northeast have always commented on how good of a school GT is.

That's why I'm pretty surprised he would say that and I'm wondering who he was talking to to get that impression. One of the big advantages of a GT degree is how well known it is outside of the southeast.

Same here. Obviously I am in a technical field but even professionals outside of pure technical fields in the northeast have always commented on how good of a school GT is.

That's why I'm pretty surprised he would say that and I'm wondering who he was talking to to get that impression. One of the big advantages of a GT degree is how well known it is outside of the southeast.

Agree andrew, and this has been the case for a looong time, as in waay before we became research oriented. Tech has always had a very high acceptance rate into Harvard's MBA program. Clemson and NC ST.---not so much. The southern regional technical references have not been true for ages, whether the research or practical element is being considered.

Ask DRad.

No need to ask, he'll disseminate the information to all affected parties as soon as he gets word. We'll probably even find out a little early.

33, if you think GTs academic reputation is not first class all over the US and even around the world then it is YOU that is blind

more akin to UGA than MIT? for real? you are a dumbass

My point is that you all just assume that these guys will fail out...disregarding completely the fact that there are support measures in place now for academics that simply were not in place when flunkgate happened.

Twice I taught precalculus at Tech post-flunkgate. Once under the previous coaching regime and once under the current. Even with all those support structures in place, I know first hand how much of a struggle it is for the current student-athletes to remain eligible. Lowering the qualifications further will not work like it did in the past.

100% perfectly right. I made the same point earlier.

APR is a freaking excuse

Here is a fact. Historically we have more normal students that fail out with GREAT GPAs and GREAT SAT's than SA's. I can't think of one football SA that failed out in the past 7 years, and if one its one or two. I guarantee the normal student populous is higher than that. Secondly, when we DID allow exceptions we again, maybe 1 academic casualty a year, out of 85. That is still below the student populous and doesn't hurt APR much if any. Its a chance, we need to be still willing to take. And a small one

APR is a total excuse. Dabuzz is 100% correct on the history and exceptions were and are not a problem, nor never have been. What was, was oversight and support and it became an excuse for change to clamp down on athletics.

You clearly don't understand APR. Failing out is only part of it, and it's even possible to remain eligible and still hurt the APR. APR is about making progress toward your degree. As long as the NCAA mandates a five-year schedule based on four-year degrees for decent APR, Tech will struggle on the APR front if it brings in student-athletes with weaker academics. If the NCAA were to allow the APR timetable to based on what the typical student does, then we'd get something more like a six-year schedule for the student-athletes, and I think you could bring in weaker students.

you don't have to think...know

75% of the athletic board is made up of....you guessed faculty.

Wonder why stuff doesn't move?

The faculty on the GTAA Board of Trustees are generally big supporters of college athletics. Trust me, I've sat on that board. Often, they are former student-athletes in non-revenue sports. (If memory serves, one past member almost played for the Israeli national soccer team in a World Cup or the Olympics, but he decided to put his priority on his academic career.) In reality, most faculty at Tech outside of management have no noticeable interaction with student-athletes. The math courses they take are taught by two or three people, typically, so even the School of Mathematics doesn't have a bunch of people with experience with them. For most faculty, as long as there's no scandal and football isn't unduly distracting their students from their studies, they couldn't care less about athletics.

Often, they are former student-athletes in non-revenue sports. (If memory serves, one past member almost played for the Israeli national soccer team in a World Cup or the Olympics, but he decided to put his priority on his academic career.)

Ben Zinn played on the Israeli national team, and Dan Schrage played basketball with Krzyzewski at West Point under Bob Knight. Both of these guys are AE faculty, sat on the board, and are VERY big athletic supporters.

Ben Zinn played on the Israeli national team, and Dan Schrage played basketball with Krzyzewski at West Point under Bob Knight. Both of these guys are AE faculty, sat on the board, and are VERY big athletic supporters.
Zinn is the one I was referring to. Wasn't sure about Professor Toupee. (Seriously…Schrage came to a board meeting with a new rug one time and everyone was wandering around whispering to each other "Does Dr. Schrage have a new toupee?") Tom Trotter from math has been on the board (may still be). He was a swimmer at The Citadel. He's not as big of a supporter as Zinn and Schrage, but he feels athletics have a place at Tech and wants to see the program do well (and the student-athletes graduate).

I blame ND jacket for this. But here it goes:

schrage-d.jpg

Back