September 15, 1984 - #19 Alabama @ Georgia Tech

Stumbled into this on Youtube. Fun watch. Pretty amazing how much different everything was back then.

Don't see a lot of blue in the stands.

Curry would jog on the track around Grant Field. For modern players, he was about the size of a strong safety but even at his age at the time he looked like he would gladly draw a targeting foul if you came in his zone.

we were just talking about Alabama's white helmets today.

Stumbled into this on Youtube. Fun watch. Pretty amazing how much different everything was back then.

Having Cornelius Bennett and Emanuel King on the same team was borderline illegal. I knew Bennett was big and tough but he was really fast as well. Tech's offensive line was the star of that game along with Robert Lavette and Keith Glanton. Tech ran a lot of two tight end formations and did so effectively with Gary Wilkens and Ken Whisenhunt both of whom could run, catch, and block effectively. A very good team for Bill Curry.

Shoulder pads were huge, some coaches wore ties (old school), running game was 3-4 yards and a pile of dust/plastic. Not many Chick-fil-A sandwiches stuffed down the pants, but I'm sure the flasks were. I swear I've seen that field before. Incredibly artificial! Looks like SAC field early 90's. Wonder if they moved it over there somewher in the late 80's. I developed some bleeding wounds and scabs just watching this. Has to be the same turf. Luckily artificial turf has come a long way since then. Good film and great game!

Me too! I was 25 years old. Went with my dad.
I was 16 and at the game. In the 80s we had cheap season tickets in the east stand under the upper east on about the 45. Great seats! Learned a lot watching the frats who had the first tier of LE. Lots of flasks, coeds in dresses, drunk students, and the like.
Also enjoyed the half-time attempt to coordinate that section in "card stunts". I never saw the message side. After the attempt which seemed to usually work out poorly, everyone balled up the instructions and threw them at the guy with the megaphone.
Good memories....guy directly in front of me would take his socks and shoes off and go through a couple of packs of cigarettes each game (most games were enough to drive the whole fan base to smoking)!

Didn't know that the South end zone was connected/rounded into the 80s. When did that change? And does anyone know that tall building you can see right behind the South End Zone? Almost looks like a hotel? Is it still there?

Back then … LOL … I remember that game like it was yesterday. When Tech charged out to a 3-0 record after beating Clemson, the AJC headlines read THE LEGEND IS BACK. I thought for sure we were on our way. I did enjoy the beat down of the dawgs in Athens.

Didn't know that the South end zone was connected/rounded into the 80s. When did that change? And does anyone know that tall building you can see right behind the South End Zone? Almost looks like a hotel? Is it still there?

the tall building was raised years ago. That building got a fighter pilot grounded after he did an extreme Low flyover nearly clipping that building. The wardlaw building replaced the horse shoe I think in 87/88

1699569653123.png

The south end zone section was condemned and razed in 1985. IIRC the building behind it was senior/retirement apartments.

it was torn down after the Ugag game in 1985 and replaced with what is there now.

Back