Setting The Bar For Gailey's First Team

Re: Setting The Bar For Gailey\'s First Team

In response to Beeware...

Its probably true that the recruiting class wasnt as deep as was originally projected... but, there were good reasons for the "best recruiters" not being kept around... maybe its because they werent the best coaches... if they were, we wouldnt have suffered through the season we did last year... we do not know how the current staff will recruit given a full year to build relationships... so because of that, I cant concede that those not retained were better...

I think everyone is well aware of your feelings concerning the coaching change... but can I ask you, what good does it do to continually hash this out? I have to laugh in a way... it sort of reminds me of my wife... still upset at me because I didnt make a fuss over her dress for New Years... sometimes you just need to move on with things... the hire has been made... the staff is in place... right or wrong... its done.. you have made your point.... if your feelings are so strong concering this subject, have you scheduled a meeting with Braine to discuss the matter? I would suggest that if you havent... but please put it behind you and lets move on....

jacketguy, your last two posts are right on the money. I have solved all New Year's Eve wife dress issues by declining to leave the house.

jacketguy,
Just pointing out in advance what an unnecessary mistake that was made in the coaching change....throwing out all O'leary had built up and starting over for no other reason than for Braine to feed his ego with a yes man....and also to try to counter-balance all the bullsh*t undeserved hype that 'Buck' is getting from many on this board before he even coaches a single Division 1 college game. Get ready for Bill Lewis II...it is coming....sad, but true.
pat.gif
pat.gif

"In 'Buck' We Trust"

Beeware,

I hear your point. So has everyone else over and over and over. Your point has been made. What more do you want? You sound frustrated and bitter all the time over this subject. Your opinion is well documented. Sounds like you want everything that's been done to fail, so you can rub it in down the road if it does. Don't know if that's your mind set, but that's the way you come across. I for one want GT to do well. To do well they need our support. The coaches and players want to know we ARE behind them 100%. Do you want them to give it their all to prepare for the games? Do you want them to play their hearts out every weekend come this fall/winter? Do you want them to be champions? Do you want these players to be the best in life they can be with nothing less than excellence? Come on now. Enough is enough with your personal feelings. If you're so dissatisfied, do what others have suggested. Make an appointment and sit down with Coach Braine.

Beeware..

As I have said in the past.. I too feel that Braine could have handled things better.. but that opinion is based upon only what I know... and I am sure that I dont know the whole story... I agree with you on that... but, that happened 4 months ago... somewhere along the line you have to move forward... although I dont agree with Braine's tactics.. I agree with the choice... and I have not seen anything to cause me concern thus far.. my opinion is based on conversations that I have had with those actually participating in the program... I feel confident that we are in good hands..

Your point is well taken, and, as I have said in the past... the differing opinions on this board is what makes it the great place it is... the different perspectives, opinions, etc... but I dont understand the need to continue harping on the same thing over and over... if you look at the threads on this board over the past few months... we could begin talking about milkshakes and end up talking about how Braine is the antichrist.. it never seems to end...

I am not so sure how close you are to the football program... but dont be taken by "all that O'Leary had built up"... I believe if he had stayed we would have had another sub par season this year... and a loser next year... I suggest you talk to some of those close to the program.. talk with the players, trainers, etc... all is not what it seems sometimes...

As far as the undeserved hype goes... I dont see anything wrong with fans, alumni, and supporters getting excited about the prospects of an upcoming season... I think one of the things that has troubled Tech for years is the fact that we have had too many negative and passive fans who accepted losing, and treated the football program with disdain.... I think its time for people to either get on the wagon... or move aside...

I dont believe that we are going to get a replay of Bill Lewis here... Lewis lost control of the team... I dont see Gailey doing that... but time will tell.... but unless you have a crystal ball I dont think you can know anymore than any of us... the question is do you hope we succeed or fail... and what which do you support, success or failure, and do you think the continual rehash of this topic will help us succeed or fail...

Your point is well taken... and I can find appreciation in your opinion... but do we have to churn it over and over... cant we bring something else to the table besides this coaching change?

Jacketguy, I am not sure how many people realize Erk Russel was the linch-pin of Georgia's winning era. Vince Dooley was not the greatest coach around, in my opinion, but he was a very good admimistrator.

He was good at picking his staff and recruiters. As soon as Erk took over at Georgia Southern, they immediately became winners, and Georgia lost some of its edge. I can't remember another coach anywhere as intense as Erk Russell.

As good a coach as Dodd became, Tech dropped off in offensive production after Frank Broyles left Tech to become the head coach at Missouri, then Arkansas. The same happened with Bill Lewis, Logan was the linch-pin of East Carolina, and Lewis got the credit for the wins.

It became evident after Lewis had a few years under his belt at Tech, and Logan continued winning at ECU. It will be interesting to see how Maryland performs in Friegden's second year. I am convinced Friegden has one of the best offensive minds in the country.

The only unanswered question is his ability to cope with big problems that might develop. He has not had to deal with that phase of coaching yet, so it will take a few years to see how that works out. Last year all was well in heaven at Maryland and there was no room for any dissension, so it was a very favorable climate.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I want to echo what Jacketguy said. This year's recruiting class was NOT a bust. We didn't have too many schollys to give. There was no way we would be ranked highly, given that situation. I think CG and the boys did well to keep most of the previous commits in place. As expected, a few guys skipped town, but that usually happens in transition years.

I'll answer for beeware...

NO

For beeware this coaching change will dominate everything he/she says for the next 2 years. Any mistake made by the football program will all come back to this. since every team makes mistakes, rest assured that we will hear about it many times over.

If the team doesn't do well, we will all get a very big "I told you so", probably many of them. If the team succeeeds, they could have done better under Mac. If the team is absolutely perfect in every aspect, it's because of O'Leary's players. Beeware has set his/herself up to be correct no matter what happens.

Of course, the rest of us will know the truth, but that won't stop beeware from rehashing the same things again and again, with no logic or reasoning behind them.

Am I wrong, beeware?

"methinks thou dost protest too much." Stingtalk has chronicled very well the continuing instances of the evasive and derisive tactics of doctrinaire Braine-ists towards those who dare to question the slightest jot or tittle of the prevailing gold-rimmed dogmas.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
"In 'Buck' We Trust"
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

This topic seems to be very personal for you Beeware... it would be great if you could help us understand why this is so personal for you

There is nothing wrong with questioning, and you have done a great job at it .. but for some reason this is an obscession with you.. I also noticed that you opted to dismiss the questions I posed for you... so to make it easier..

(1) Which do you support, Tech's success or failure, and do you think the continual rehash of this topic will help us succeed or fail...

(2) What good does it do to continually rehash the subject of Braine missteps and Gailey's hiring over Mac?

You made a good and valid point, it has been respectfully heard... but this seems to be your only purpose on this board... dwelling on a perceived negative ... they say you will live longer if you focus on positive things !!

jacketguy;
I think you have tried to approach beeware with logic. However, you missed the #1 thing that seems to be driving him - the need to be 'right.' As others have stated, he has now set himself up to be right regardless of what happens...

1. If Tech does well this fall, beeware can say that it is because of O'Leary and all of the talent he left behind.
2. If Tech does poorly this fall, beeware can say that it is because of Gailey and that Braine should have selected Mac.

Either way, beeware will gleefully come back to this board and say 'I told you so.'

Well.. here is hoping that Beeware is right... and that he comes back and rubs our nose in the fact that GOL left an excellent foundation... and that this foundation was the impetus for our 12-0 season... I will gladly take it...

Yeah, I think I've stopped asking beeware for rational explanations. Anytime anyone here has asked a simple question, beeware has responded with a smart ass remark. Beeware still hasn't answered anyone's questions regarding why he/she is so upset! I think others are right...beeware is here just to cause trouble, not to contribute to any discussion, and is probably not even a TECH fan.

(241 smileys inserted here)
smile.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
"methinks thou dost protest too much." Stingtalk has chronicled very well the continuing instances of the evasive and derisive tactics of doctrinaire Braine-ists towards those who dare to question the slightest jot or tittle of the prevailing gold-rimmed dogmas.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
"In 'Buck' We Trust"
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif

beeware:
Methinks you are a total idiot and protest the hiring of Gailey too much. Go back to the UGAG board, the FSU borad, or where ever you come from.

puke.gif
beeware

Fear,
Take your petty personal attacks to the hive where they will be welcome. This board allows and welcomes differences of opinions. Try not to spoil this board with your pettiness.
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif

Hey FearDaBee? IgnoreDaBeeware.

Weren't YOU the one to offer that advice earlier?

Can we PLEASE move on to some FOOTBALL discussion or something??

BTW, I'm reading "Focused on the Top" about Ross and the championship season of '90. I hope Chan is reading all the GT history books. Good stuff there.

Originally posted by FearDaBee:
LOL. Pot, meet the kettle!
bash.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Fear,
Your name calling is childish and rude and unnecessary. Show me one post where I have attacked you in any way except to call you on your petty name calling.
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif

Back