Setting The Bar For Gailey's First Team

Re: Setting The Bar For Gailey\'s First Team

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
Hey FearDaBee? IgnoreDaBeeware.

Weren't YOU the one to offer that advice earlier?

Can we PLEASE move on to some FOOTBALL discussion or something??

BTW, I'm reading "Focused on the Top" about Ross and the championship season of '90. I hope Chan is reading all the GT history books. Good stuff there.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">PCB,
Probably too much to hope that 'Buck' would know anything about TECH history. I would settle for if he can find the stadium by the Vanderbilt game.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Beeware:

Be happy man. The market was up. I have seen "Buck" @ the Edge center so he is close to BDGF.
uzi.gif
uzi.gif

BTW "Buck" came in on this ship.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
to lead our beloved Yellow Jackets.

very_first_smiley.gif

Ahso, where are you? The boat is full. Help.

05.gif

Beeware.. you have talked of being rude etc... why are you being rude and ignoring my earlier post? They are simple questions....just trying to understand here... maybe you could help us see something we are missing...

This topic seems to be very personal for you Beeware... it would be great if you could help us understand why this is so personal for you

There is nothing wrong with questioning, and you have done a great job at it .. but for some reason this is an obscession with you.. I also noticed that you opted to dismiss the questions I posed for you... so to make it easier..

(1) Which do you support, Tech's success or failure, and do you think the continual rehash of this topic will help us succeed or fail...

(2) What good does it do to continually rehash the subject of Braine missteps and Gailey's hiring over Mac?

You made a good and valid point, it has been respectfully heard... but this seems to be your only purpose on this board... dwelling on a perceived negative ... they say you will live longer if you focus on positive things !!

Originally posted by pjjacket:
Beeware:

Be happy man. The market was up. I have seen "Buck" @ the Edge center so he is close to BDGF.
uzi.gif
uzi.gif

BTW "Buck" came in on this ship.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
to lead our beloved Yellow Jackets.

very_first_smiley.gif

Ahso, where are you? The boat is full. Help.

05.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">pj,
You make a good point. Since he is already at the Edge Center and he has until the end of August to find BDS....the odds should be at least 50:50.
cool.gif

I only provided the outlines for the coloring book. I leave it to BeeWare to fill in the colors. What is the old saying, "give a man enough rope, and he will hang himself".

My personal opinion is BeeWare is a pretty smart cookie, but he has an abnormal obsession with this particular activity.

He and ATLBee seem to be personally involved with Mac or some of the coaches that were released. It is extremely difficult to be objective when you are close to the problem. The bias of being associated with a situation keeps a person from seeing the real truth.

However, a little advice to BeeWare, you can sometimes do more harm to the person you are trying to defend when you go overboard with an action. Your remarks have probably made some that were originally sympathetic to Mac, become more distant from his plight.

Your remarks have given me a world of opportunity to show my view of the truth in more detail, so your actions may have been self defeating. Just a little helpful advice.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I only provided the outlines for the coloring book. I leave it to BeeWare to fill in the colors. What is the old saying, "give a man enough rope, and he will hang himself".

My personal opinion is BeeWare is a pretty smart cookie, but he has an abnormal obsession with this particular activity.

He and ATLBee seem to be personally involved with Mac or some of the coaches that were released. It is extremely difficult to be objective when you are close to the problem. The bias of being associated with a situation keeps a person from seeing the real truth.

However, a little advice to BeeWare, you can sometimes do more harm to the person you are trying to defend when you go overboard with an action. Your remarks have probably made some that were originally sympathetic to Mac, become more distant from his plight.

Your remarks have given me a world of opportunity to show my view of the truth in more detail, so your actions may have been self defeating. Just a little helpful advice.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso,
As usual you make me laugh....thanks. You being objective about 'Buck' Gailey???? That is about like Porky Pig being objective about bacon!!!
The only problem with 'your' version of the truth is one needs hip-waders on so as not to step in the (deep) bullsh*t.
But I do appreciate your posts...I need the laughs. We will all need the laughs when it becomes apparent what an atrocity that Braine has pulled on the Institute while you and the others on here fiddle about.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

bee?
You dress me down for 'calling names?'
LOL
Look in the mirror!
You call people all sorts of things!
At least others on this site/thread back up their statements with facts. You cannot do that!

Here is your Graemlins right back at you...
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif
thefinger.gif

If we quit responding, maybe Beeware will calm down on this subject. I've responded many times. From now on, I'm gonna just completely ignore it and not respond at all. It does no good to answer Beeware...or to ask him to justify anything. He's gonna think the way he thinks and that's it...and he wants everyone to know over and over. End of story.

9-3 this season with our returning talent is easily obtainable.
drinking.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
jacketguy,
Just pointing out in advance what an unnecessary mistake that was made in the coaching change....throwing out all O'leary had built up and starting over for no other reason than for Braine to feed his ego with a yes man....and also to try to counter-balance all the bullsh*t undeserved hype that 'Buck' is getting from many on this board before he even coaches a single Division 1 college game. Get ready for Bill Lewis II...it is coming....sad, but true.
pat.gif
pat.gif

"In 'Buck' We Trust"
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

beeware can you do better than chan the man? then shut up!
rocketlauncher.gif

yea, beeware, and only a fool dwells on the past.
puke.gif

Interesting topic. Lots of really good comments.

My thoughts: We went 7-5 last year. I think anything 7-5 or better would indicate a better coaching job.

In the long term we'll have to give Gailey a few years before we evaluate him.

My personal expectations: 8-9 wins in the regular season.

Let's see,
Bill Curry's first two years were both 1-10,
Ross' first two years were 2-9 and 3-8 (with two Div. 1-AA opponents each year),
B*** L****'s first two years were both 5-6,
O'leary's first two years were 6-5 and 5-6.
In conclusion, I would say 7-5 for Gailey's first year would be reasonable. Of course, GT has been a top 25 team every year since 1997, so I don't know if anything less than 8-4 will work.
drinking.gif

I bring this post back to the top for Axe and BeeWare. I am not placing both of you in the same category, just trying to use a previous post rather than retyping basically the same information. Read my original post after reading this addition.

In my original post, all of the players I mentioned that graduated were added back to last years team. That means this years team is the same as last years team except we are without a lot of talented players that have graduated.

So it is a non-arguable fact that last years team was more talented than this years team. Since the recruiting has not helped us for this year's team, last years team was stronger and deeper. It is true the present players have another year under their belt, but they are the same players present last year minus those already noted.

On paper, it must be argued, last years team was stronger and deeper.

If this year's team exceeds the winning margin of last year's team, the only change to bring it about is a change in the coaching, because we are minus the players noted from last year's team, and have not added any new players.

The only new players added are the freshmen, who BeeWare claimed was a miserable recruiting year by Gailey and one QB transfer that has become elligible. So by BeeWare's estimation of the freshman recruiting class as a disaster, we are weaker this year overall in manpower than last year's team.

We have not added any interior defensive linemen in the two deep rotation, they were here last year. The only thing that has changed is the change in style of their attack. Tenuta will have them playing a different style of defense.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Ahso,

You have very eloquently captured my thoughts on the topic of comparing last year's team to this year's.

Great job.

Thanks for not putting me in the same class as Beeware, LOL. Still I will stick to my guns when I say this years team has more talent than last years from top to bottom. There is nothing like experience in college football. Let's go position by position:

Offensive Line: Last years unit was very poor. Bennett was not battle ready and Dorsey and Robinson were just babies on the left side. It means a lot for OLs to play together. Dorsey, Reilly, and Robinson were all first year starters. The difference in their play from last year to this year will be unbelievable. Wallace is so much more athletic than Kemble it will really do a lot for the right side. As far as depth goes, last year we were in just as poor a shape as this year. We must stay healthy.

Wide Receivers/TE: I'll give the nod to the '01 group here, but we will still be very very good.

Running Backs: Surprisingly, I like this group a little better than the '01 group because of the depth. None of these backs are as good as Burns but we've got more depth and we don't have to worry about running one back into the ground. Hatch is the wild card. IMHO, if he had been healthy he would have been the TB last year and Burns would have been the FB most of the time except for 1 back sets.

Quarterback: The QBs this year allow us to do more things and be less predictable. However, they don't know what they are doing like Goose and this will hurt. Still the improved OL should help to mask these guys mental mistakes. If these QBs had to play in front of last year's OL, we might have been fighting with Duke to stay out of the ACC bottom.

DL: This is the biggest difference on the team. Yes, we basically have the same players as last year, but you can't underestimate experience on the LOS. Malone, Johnson, and Koon should all be much better. Youngsters like Billy, Henderson, and Parker will be better than Koon and Malone were last year. We do lose Nick Rogers, but Holiday and Hargrove are just as athletic. With their new experience they are probably a better pair than Rogers was alone.

LB: Everyone is back, more depth, better unit.
DB: We lost Young but Cox and Butler are going to be very solid with the increased experience. Throw Reis, Harris, Houston, Davis, etc. into the mix and we have a lot more athletic ability and depth here.
ST: Everyone is back. Should be improved.

Ahoisee, you can't underestimate experience in College football. This is a stronger football team upfront, it has more athletic ability, and more experience. It's slightly weaker in the offensive skill positions, but as I said in my previous posts football games are won on the LOS.

Axe, we will have to agree to disagree. My philosophy is that coaching is the dominant ingredient in any team sport. If the line is better this year, it is because it is getting better coaching and better direction.

Experience definitely helps, but it is performing with more precision that is the key, and that comes from coaching techniques. Dorsey did not have experience last year, but had the raw talent. He will be even better this year because of improved coaching.

If the backfield is better due to more guys running the ball, that is coaching. We could have had that advantage last year, but the coaching was deficient in its substitution of backs.

If the defensive line performs better, it is the technique taught by the coaches. Look at the preseason DT All-America canidates in Athlon, why is a 273 pounder considered the number one DT prospect as an All-American? He definitely is not a 300+ pounder.

It is because he performs better because of better techniques. Again, coaching is the most important element here. Just having 300+ pounders as DTs does not equate to winning.

In any example you submit, I will counter with the fact that it is the coaching that makes the system or technique better. Tenuta will make the DTs better with a better system.

Again, the only thing that has changed from last year's disaster is the change in coaches. Now, we have to wait and see if it makes a difference.

I will also submit to you that Maryland had a certain degree of talent, but did not win in the recent past with experienced players until they got a new coaching staff.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

To me, this is a very hard discussion for the upcoming season. George O'Leary's doghouse was so full of reserves that we didn't develop much talent. Chan Gailey has come in and given the entire team a breath of fresh air, and given these young reserves a chance to show what they've got. My opinon on this subject is this: we have so many guys who didn't see the field last season that we're not really sure what we have. We know their names and their jersey numbers, the bottom line, is the O'Leary didn't develop his players for depth purposes. After NC State 2000, Coach O talked about playing more guys to develop depth and keep guys fresh, but I'm willing to bet he only played about 40 guys a game in 2001(pre NC State #s). My guess is that Chan and his staff will give new names a chance to see what happens.

Indian Buzz, will have to agree with you on this one. It will be interesting to see the possible developments of some players that may have been lost on the bench in the past.

There may be some good surprises in store for us fans.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back