Shocking news story of the day

This comes up every now and then, but there's never a really good answer. In terms of being a heavily STEM-focused school with legitimate P5 sports in a major city, I think we stand alone.

I realize it's far from the perfect comparison, but I feel like Pitt is in at least a somewhat similar situation.

But yeah, I agree that we're pretty unique

I realize it's far from the perfect comparison, but I feel like Pitt is in at least a somewhat similar situation.

But yeah, I agree that we're pretty unique

We're not like Pitt academically. Pitt has an engineering school, but also Medical, Law, Education, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and a whole slew of Liberal Arts degrees, including Africana Studies. It's like Illinois - great STEM, but there are tons of other non-STEM majors in which you can "hide" athletes.

If you think of other schools like Tech in terms of STEM focus, you end up with RPI, WPI, Caltech, Colorado School of Mines, Kettering, and a few others. None of those field D1 football teams.

Umm, we need to attract more ticket buying sidewalk alum, and beat ugag more.

We're not like Pitt academically. Pitt has an engineering school, but also Medical, Law, Education, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and a whole slew of Liberal Arts degrees, including Africana Studies. It's like Illinois - great STEM, but there are tons of other non-STEM majors in which you can "hide" athletes.

If you think of other schools like Tech in terms of STEM focus, you end up with RPI, WPI, Caltech, Colorado School of Mines, Kettering, and a few others. None of those field D1 football teams.

The military academies are the only STEM equivalent FBS schools. Even if you are majoring in military history, you have to take a STEM core. A buddy of mine at the AF academy had to take engineering courses even though he was a history major, for example.

Equivalent no-where-to-hide-athletes schools (not necessarily STEM-focused but all majors are real) are Stanford and ND.

There are plenty of places to hide athletes at both Stanford and ND considering both offer several "acting" courses.

There are plenty of places to hide athletes at both Stanford and ND considering both offer several "acting" courses.

Didn't schools used to publish football majors? Have they stopped doing this during the recent lawsuits about pay-to-play? I can't seem to find them anywhere, for ND or for GT.

usually you can check the media guides published by the Athletic Associations.

Not only academically but geographically we are pretty unique being in the hot bed of sec country... Closest comparison I could see is vandy and I'd think we are pulling more sidewalk fans than them

I 100% agree, but we're quite similar to Pitt in other aspects. Good school in a big city with other (professional) sports teams. Little brother in their own state despite a rich football tradition.

Again, I realize we're unique due to being so STEM focused. I was just positing that if we we HAD to find someone to compare to (playing D1 football), Pitt probably has a place in the discussion.

Captain Obvious makes another appearance.
090914_Signals_promo.png

I'm proud to be a sidewalk Jackets fan. I've never identified with any part of Athens culture, whether it's the ignorant rednecks or the smug vegan hippies. Tech fandom is for intelligent people who think for themselves, whether they're alums or not.

Could y'all please stop posting crap from that this rag they call newspaper?
Is there a poster here would works for them or at least he was such a fan he had a screen name reflecting his love for it?

This comes up every now and then, but there's never a really good answer. In terms of being a heavily STEM-focused school with legitimate P5 sports in a major city, I think we stand alone.

If you try to compare us to other schools that are kind of similar but not really, I'm sure we do worse attracting sidewalk fans, but I'm also sure it's probably not a very fair comparison.

Pitt. (public)

Berkeley. (public)

Stanford. (private)

My suspicion is we do better at sidewalk fans that Berkeley, probably as well as Stanford, and probably as well as Pitt (we'd do better, but their instate competition is a cesspool that makes Athens look like a mere industrial waste pond).

Edit: And the numbers back me up. We're at 20%. Berkeley is at 34%. Colorado is at 32%. UCLA and USC are at 26% and 19% respectively. In short, we do as well at attracting sidewalk fans as USC and better than UCLA. Heck, we do better than FSU (23%) although they aren't in a major city.

The author of the article is full of crap saying we don't do as well as other schools.

NM -- apparently I'm wrongbased on SBP's edit.

I'd like to see this study updated at the end of this season.

Won't make much difference. The fact is that, since the 70s, UGA has won more than Tech. And the SCIENTIFIC fact is that losers like to associate themselves with winners, hence the result of the "study". But please don't tell any of the UGA sidewalk fans you know that I called them losers.

Since 95% of their football players don't become alumni, maybe it just means a lot of their ex players support them on Facebook.
Technically they are. An alumnus / alumna (almuni is the plural) is one who attended or graduated. They just don't happen to graduate many!
[emoji6]

Back