Shotgun?

I think anyone that expects Tech to try to be something that they are not is very foolish. I agree that a little more passing would help off set the line backers from creeping up to the line of scrimmage to take away the run. But we will never be a 50% run / 50% pass team. That is not our style. But I really believe that a more balanced passing / run game for Tech is 70 % / 30%. The thing is the 30% has to be completed at a higher % than last year. Don't just throw when you have to and don't go for it all when you do pass. Some short crossing routes completed at a high percentage would be fine. Just accept Tech for what we are and that is a great running / ball control team that is Coached by in my opinion a brilliant football mind.

We didn't "just throw when we had to" for the last two years. Although many here complained about that, not understanding that the threat of a pass on any down is also critical to run success.

While our completion % was not what we would like, the YPA was high enough to keep the defense worried about giving up the big play.

well, at Hawaii he threw for thousands of yards. you act like "his offense" has been the same everywhere. it has not

The pass-crazy CPJ Hawaii offense is mostly a myth, for a number of reasons.

First, Hawaii was always a run-first team. Their overall run-pass ratio was about 68-32. Their one really prolific passing season was 1990 when they threw on 41% of plays for 235 yards a game. That was the only season they exceeded 200 yards a game.

Second, Hawaii's passing was the same type that we do now -- built off the run, emphasis on the long pass, low completion percentages. In passing-prolific 1990 Gabriel completed 50% of his passes for a solid 8 yards per attempt, but an extremely high 16 per completion.

Third, and most importantly, Hawaii had a better offense and was a lot better overall team when they ran more and passed less. Their best season was the 11-2 WAC title year of 1992, when they had a 77-23 run-pass ratio. They passed 35% or more three seasons and went 15-20-1. They passed 32% or less five seasons and went 39-21-2.

Obviously with Garrett Gabriel at QB it made sense to pass more, but they were far better in his junior year of 89 with a 68/32 run/pass ratio than in his senior year of 90 at 59/41.

Fourth, and probably because of #3, at every stop as a HC PJ has consistently thrown less than he did as an OC, and that's with two of the schools being the same places he coached at previously. The numbers I have are:

GSU 85-86: 72-28
Hawaii 87-94: 68-32
Navy 95-96: 75-25

GSU 97-01: 83-17
Navy 02-07: 85-15
GT 08-09: 81-19

This has to be because CPJ has learned over the years that running the ball 80-85% of the time produces the best results, and that's what he does now that he no longer has HC's pressuring him to throw more to "balance" the O.

Last edited:
I will repeat for the 20th time. If we DO NOT learn to use the pass more effectively then our offense will do no better, in fact I suspect it will do worse as people learn better ways of defending it.

DO YOU HEAR ME PJ?

That means you need to work the passing offense every game, ESPECIALLY when you have the comfortable lead.

There's so much wrong with this, but I'll focus on the worst of it.
That means you need to work the passing offense every game, ESPECIALLY when you have the comfortable lead.
You're asking a coach to pass more when you have a comfortable lead. I must then assume you do not realize passing more leads to less time being run off the clock, and more chance of turnover or loss of yardage. I also must assume you don't know that is a BAD thing, ESPECIALLY when you have a comfortable lead.

The point is to WIN a game, not practice while playing a game.

There's so much wrong with this, but I'll focus on the worst of it.

You're asking a coach to pass more when you have a comfortable lead. I must then assume you do not realize passing more leads to less time being run off the clock, and more chance of turnover or loss of yardage. I also must assume you don't know that is a BAD thing, ESPECIALLY when you have a comfortable lead.

The point is to WIN a game, not practice while playing a game.

I'm sure a lot folks are happy that heart surgeons don't decide to practice liver transplants while their patient is opened up.

When the O-line does pass protect, it will usually be some type of slide protection for the rollout. But in the shotgun to incorporate the crossing/vertical routes you will see pack protection (C,G,T blocking the strongside, G,T blocking the weakside, B-back blocking weakside A gap). Expect to see a lot tunnel screens and the TO from the shotgun

Thanks, that's interesting!

Back