Should GT bid for GHSA finals?

Every other state plays have their State Title games outside. SC is William-Brice

NC is Carter-Finley.

We don’t have podunk groundskeeping or crew. It should work

If the field is a concern have Friday at GSU and Saturday BDS

Last edited:
Is it 8 games or 14 games. 8 games should be feasible. Split it into two weekends with two games on Friday and two games on Saturday each weekend.

Looks like GHSA can't afford the Benz. Championship game is usually second weekend in December.

I don't see any reason why we wouldn't want that at Tech. Class would be out, so parking would be easy, and it associates us with championships. And we could make a bit of money. Benz charges 600k, the dome was 300k. I think we could use 300k.

Do it!

Make them give us a brand new field every year after it's over.

Is it 8 games or 14 games. 8 games should be feasible. Split it into two weekends with two games on Friday and two games on Saturday each weekend.
It's 8 games. And I would have thought 10,000 (and they can seat another 1,000 on the lawn) at Mercer would be fine. In fact, packed and exciting. The best attendance ever was 48000 for 8 games. I've been before and it's just weird to be playing in front of seemingly nobody in a cavernous stadium.

They’ve had these at USC’s stadium in Columbia for years in S.C. High school ball is meant to be played in the elements.
Only the top 3 divisions play at USC's stadium with the lowest two divisions playing at a smaller stadium. Georgia has 8 divisions so 2-3 locations would need to split the games if they are held on grass fields.

It's an amazing chance to sell the program a bit to talented underclassmen. Let's face it, most kids around the state have never and will never see a football game in Bobby Dodd. Sad. We can fix that.

Top two classifications at GT, others at GSU.
I think we could handle the top 4 games. That would cover virtually every Atlanta area school. Smaller schools can play at Mercer which would be dirt cheap for the GHSA. GSU can eat a bag.

It's 8 games. And I would have thought 10,000 (and they can seat another 1,000 on the lawn) at Mercer would be fine. In fact, packed and exciting. The best attendance ever was 48000 for 8 games. I've been before and it's just weird to be playing in front of seemingly nobody in a cavernous stadium.
The tickets are sold per day though, not per game. So many go and watch a whole day's worth of football. Very likely that there are much more than 10,000 at the stadium at a time.

The tickets are sold per day though, not per game. So many go and watch a whole day's worth of football. Very likely that there are much more than 10,000 at the stadium at a time.

Yeah, even if they don't stay all day, there will still be overlap between the end of one game and people arriving for the next game.

Yeah, even if they don't stay all day, there will still be overlap between the end of one game and people arriving for the next game.
I'm convinced Mercer wouldn't work for the larger schools. What about for the smaller schools? Another factor: if you're only playing two games a day - you don't have to play them right on top of each other.

I think Tech hosting the state championship games would be fantastic. I'm for it.

Who is involved in setting those rates? Why would they jump 100%?

Something seems fishy about this.

DEB03461-7391-48C0-ADE0-A33B89688560.jpeg

How many games are we talking? 7? 14? Any way to stagger them enough? How much would they give us to just host the big games?

This could include a real recruiting benefit, so we should factor that in. Like having official visits for hundreds of top GA football players including underclassmen that you maybe can't recruit like that.

Can someone figure out a way to put down turf temporarily? For 300k can we put in that sod section technology? If we co-hosted with GSU could we reduce the load on the field to a level it can recover from? I hate to give up without trying.
GSU's field is artificial I believe.

They used to play the semi-final games at the Dome, then played finals back at one of the HS fields. I can't remember when they changed to play the final games. I guess 14 games in 2 days would've been challenging.

I feel confident that between the two of you, you both can come up with two totally opposite and competing solutions, neither of which will make sense to anyone but yourselves, but solutions that both of you will be confident that are 100% the only way forward. I’ll get Todd on the line shortly!

Course y’all know the state championship games were at one time always played at Grant Field.

Not sure, but I think they moved them to the h.s. campuses to save money - travel, rent, etc.

If it happened again I think the “best” that would happen are alternating years with ugag.

But the idea of Mercer, due to location, has a lot of merit.

This “might” - just might - be one of those situations of be careful what we wish for.

GT has to be much closer to the population center of Georgia than Macon.

Back