Should Johnson just have promoted Kelly?

I'm not sure there would've been a huge difference either way. It's hard to say.

As far as playing 10 yards deep, we've shown in some of the earlier games that we're not good at press coverage. We let some guys run by that never should've. I'd rather be more susceptible to underneath routes than give up the huge plays.

You piss on everyone else's coaching threads (and rightfully so). Is yours different because you aren't calling for anyone to be fired?

Was just a question. I don't think Roof should be fired now. I did think Kelly should have gotten the job then.

Everyone else's coaching threads suck. If someone wants to start a "Should DRAD have hired Muschamp" thread that's cool. I have a feeling I know where that one goes though.

Edit: although the better question may be should DRAD have hired cutcliffe

Was just a question. I don't think Roof should be fired now. I did think Kelly should have gotten the job then.

Everyone else's coaching threads suck. If someone wants to start a "Should DRAD have hired Muschamp" thread that's cool. I have a feeling I know where that one goes though.

At Clemson, maybe.

I thought Kelly should be promoted too, but whatever. I just want to see recruiting continue to improve. I will take a bad coach if he can get talented players in the door at this point.

Kelly was one of our best recruiters
I also like his more aggressive approach to d over roof.

I also dont believe are d issues are just talent. We have the worst defense in the ncaa power 5 teams. We played 3 cupcakes and got gashed repetitively. Teams we know for a fact we have more recruited talent than.

Its on the coaching and scheme too for me. Based on that we cannot statistically be much worse than roof, so i would rather have kelly at this stage since he is more aggressive and recruiting is a wash.

this

Kelly was a good recruiter.
Roof is a very good recruiter. Plus, he doesn't just recruit for defense. He's got his geographical area to recruit, which I think is Gwinnett and its environs.

Here's what we lost in the offseason, after signing day, IIRC - Hunt-Days, Whitehead, Akins, Robbins, Kitchen, Commissiong. Whitehead likely would have started. JHD, too. Out of those other four, probably lost a starter or two. Hard to overcome that kind of attrition so late in the process.

I also wonder if PJ wasn't talking to Roof before Kelly left and PJ said to CCK, look, I want to bring in Ted Roof to be DC. If you want to stay, we'll try to find you a spot. If you want to go, I understand and I'll call around on your behalf. I don't know for certain that's what happened, but I would not be surprised.

CCK went FSU and there was no indication then that Pruitt would uproot for Georgia. Seemed like quite a reach to leave the national champs on the field for the perpetual preseason national champs.

This analysis of the last play of FSU-ND doesn't look good for Kelly. ND's WR's got caught up in the moment and did not do a good job selling running a "route." If they did sell it a little bit better, then FSU's man coverage would have made it difficult to stop Robinson.

Who knows, maybe Kelly was worried about an inexperienced defender reading the banjo correctly, but it sure seems like ND will almost always execute that play as long as FSU plays man and OPI is not called.

http://www.onefootdown.com/2014/10/20/7009117/ofd-films-iso-cam-offensive-pass-interference

This analysis of the last play of FSU-ND doesn't look good for Kelly. ND's WR's got caught up in the moment and did not do a good job selling running a "route." If they did sell it a little bit better, then FSU's man coverage would have made it difficult to stop Robinson.

Who knows, maybe Kelly was worried about an inexperienced defender reading the banjo correctly, but it sure seems like ND will almost always execute that play as long as FSU plays man and OPI is not called.

http://www.onefootdown.com/2014/10/20/7009117/ofd-films-iso-cam-offensive-pass-interference

I don't think that guy can draw the conclusion he did based only on this footage. Since the ND receivers engaged these DBs and didn't let go, there's no way to know if they would release to cover the outside man. Since Robinson had burned them previously, it seems fair to reason that they would be expecting him to get the ball again.

Back