Should Johnson just have promoted Kelly?

Based on who has been here and what they've done since they left, I think it is pretty clear our defensive struggles can be narrowed down to one of two reasons:

(1) Head Coach, and/or;
(2) Recruiting

If I remember right the whole reason Kelly left was to be closer to family.

You remember right in that this was reason stated in his interviews after leaving. But be honest, he doesn't go to be a position coach at FSU if he is getting the DC job here. I bet you believe all politicians too.

You remember right in that this was reason stated in his interviews after leaving. But be honest, he doesn't go to be a position coach at FSU if he is getting the DC job here. I bet you believe all politicians too.
It was a lateral move with more room for growth and recognition. I wouldn't be surprised if FSU paid more too.

Based on who has been here and what they've done since they left, I think it is pretty clear our defensive struggles can be narrowed down to one of three reasons:

(1) Head Coach,
(2) Recruiting, and/or
(3) Limited Majors and Academic Requirements

fixed

falls under recruiting

How so? You can have the easiest programs and schoolwork around and still have to convince kids to come here. Conversely, it is hard to recruit when other schools are putting these thoughts in kids heads.

I think they are two different things.

The problem is one of perception - two top five teams have DC's that were on CPJ's staff at Tech. They are clearly capable of coaching defense at a high level. So, what went wrong? CPJ hard to work with? Just too hard to recruit at Tech? However you answer it, it just does not look good for us to be so bad on defense and see how well things are going in Oxford and Tallahassee. And lest we forget, Auburn had a pretty decent year with Roof as DC.

How so? You can have the easiest programs and schoolwork around and still have to convince kids to come here. Conversely, it is hard to recruit when other schools are putting these thoughts in kids heads.

I think they are two different things.

It is an issue, but I agree that academics falls under recruiting in this instance.

It is an issue, but I agree that academics falls under recruiting in this instance.

Maybe we should just lump the head coach into the recruiting as well, since he hires the guys doing the recruiting?

So our problem then becomes.... recruiting.

Pretty much hard to level the playing field when you have 2 and 3 star guys playing 3 and 4 (and 5) star guys.

Maybe we should just lump the head coach into the recruiting as well, since he hires the guys doing the recruiting?

So our problem then becomes.... recruiting.

Pretty much hard to level the playing field when you have 2 and 3 star guys playing 3 and 4 (and 5) star guys.

Yes, everything comes back to recruiting.

Yes, everything comes back to recruiting.

Or, should we lump the recruiting into the head coach since he hires the recruiters?

Then, everything would come back to the head coach.

/trollin' for mack and old foggy here.

Back