SI thinks CG is on the "hot" seat

law_bee

Dodd-Like
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/stewart_mandel/news/2003/04/28/mandel_insider/

Other hot-seat inhabitants headed into the season: Duke's Carl Franks (5-40 in four seasons), Arizona's John Mackovic (stung by a player mutiny last fall), Nebraska's Frank Solich (coming off the school's worst season in 40 years), Clemson's Tommy Bowden (8-8 in ACC the past two seasons) and Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey (fans are none too pleased with 51-7 loss to rival Georgia and Silicon Valley upset by Fresno State).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Gee,

Maybe they do read this stuff
wink.gif

we can slice it dice it or put a bow on it but this is about winning games.

If we put up a 6 loss season next year there will be some disappointed fans.

Now if we were to finish strong that may make the pill of "wait til next year" easier to swallow.

i am totally convinced that toe meets leather's conviction is meaningless.

he's the dude who was totally convinced that gailey would be gone not next year but this year.

he's the dude who was totally convinced that our OC would be hatcher.

tech cannot afford to be impatient with its coaching hires. the bottomline is definitely wins and losses however take into account how those wins or losses are achieved.

for instance the 51-7 loss is very painful because it was a totally one sided game. a 21-20 loss would not have been as painful.

i'll be looking at the bottomline as well as how we perform on the field to acquire that bottomline.

i cannot wait for august 28th to arrive.

ylojk8 you are just able to take embarrassment easier than i am ,we are either going to be big time or not , i am tired of excuses.

Not only is it about wins/losses and how they are achieved, but I think another factor is who those wins and losses come to.

Another loss to Wake will be BAD. If Gailey can break the skids against Florida $tate, Clemson, Maryland and UGAg, the approval rate will skyrocket. A win over Auburn in our reunion game with the Tigers would also be huge.

And no more blowouts either. As I've said before, I haven't been a Tech fan nearly as long as most of you, and the Maryland game last year was my first time seeing us get blown out. I really didn't know how to act - it made me sick.

Of course one of the keys to this year's success will be motivated. Perhaps it's just me, but since the 2001 Maryland game, it seems like this team just doesn't have any fire in them. Chan and the Seniors need to get this team fired up.

i disagree about us not being not being motivated after the maryland game.

we won two key games after the maryland game, gave F$U a run for their money, shrugged off duke before going into the UGetA game.

we looked motivated enough when we took on UVa right after the UMd blow out.

toe meets leather .. you are convinced about a lot of things .. and i am convinced that you are wrong about a lot of your convictions. your track record proves it.

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
ylojk8 you are just able to take embarrassment easier than i am ,we are either going to be big time or not , i am tired of excuses.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree. I don't see why we didn't fire Gailey before the Vanderbilt game last year. We should have known then that he was going to lead us to a disappointing season. It's sort of like now, we'd probably be better off ousting Gailey and finding a replacement while there's still time.

I mean, it's perfectly clear what's going to happen. Toe meets leather, is the part where we fire Gailey the only part you can see? If not then you should post all the scores of the upcoming seasons games that way you'll be able to tell them "I told you so." Not to mention that you could make some good money off of bets. I'm kinda anxious to know what bowl we'll be in and who we'll be playing, so whenever you get around to it, just post that up to.
bsmeter.gif

Originally posted by The Jacket:

I'm kinda anxious to know what bowl we'll be in and who we'll be playing, so whenever you get around to it, just post that up to.
bsmeter.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL .. don't leave lanes open for negativity. here's my preemptive strike ..

ummmm .. we may not be in a bowl game next year.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
i disagree about us not being not being motivated after the maryland game.

we won two key games after the maryland game, gave F$U a run for their money, shrugged off duke before going into the UGetA game.

we looked motivated enough when we took on UVa right after the UMd blow out.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">There's no doubt that we had motivation in the games that you mentioned and in others, it just seemed to me personally that the feeling wasn't the same as before the Maryland game.

Win 8 games, beat Ugag, Bowl win.
CCG keeps his job
drinking.gif

oh by the way, all in the same year

There are two facts about this coming season.

1. Last season is over.
2. Gailey will be our coach.

Lets focus on the chance to start over and do some good this season rather than living in the past. Nobody ever got anywhere in life by living in the past. You learn and move on.

I'll be the first to hammer the coach for not properly getting his team prepared but this is a new season with a new set of players. How does one root for a team or even choose to concern themselves with said team if they are already claiming the worst?

What will happen this upcoming season is unknown to any of us. So lets focus on the chance to start over this season with a new offense, return of key injured players and some good young talent stepping into the mix.

We've had plenty of time to reflect and discuss the bad. Bring on BYU!

Let's come at this SI comment from another angle ... these comments are made because those in the media saw and heard the same things we did last year. Speculation is based on past history and that's what this article is saying about all those coaches from this past season and for some longer.

The comment is correct ... Chan is on the 'hot seat' for this upcoming season. He's is going to have to have a SOLID season in all the areas everyone mentioned to keep his job. As all my football player friends have said to me ... you don't fire a coach after (1) season, but you do after (2).

Improvement is a necessity for this program and team. He's been given another opportunity and I'm hoping for the best and a turnaround! If not, I want to move on and get this ball rolling again.

I think most fans would agree with the article. Chan is on the "hot seat", but that only means he has to have a good season to get back in good graces.

It is obvious by the remarks here and on The Hive, he will have to produce this year, or many of the fans will be asking for his head. However, judging by his overall record in football, the odds are in favor of righting the ship.

I honestly think moral affected the team last year more than any other aspect of the season. Our morale was shot after the blowout at Maryland. The seniors had a meeting to bring all the players together, and Tech won the next two ball games against good competition,

After that, the morale seemed to slump again after some poor performances with the defense and quarterbacking positions. From there, the season imploded. While watching the games, it was evident to me, the whole problem was a lack of intensity due to poor morale.

The intensity was good during the Spring game. I tried to observe the relationship between the players on the field, and it seemed everyone was having fun and team spirit was high on both sides of the ball.

Regardless of other opinions on the board regarding our lack of good athletes, in the Spring Game, I saw a defense with the material to be as good as any in the ACC.

On offense, we have many good wide receivers, good TE's, some good running backs, at least one QB with a lot of potential, and some good offensive linemen on the first team.

I say we can have a good season if all falls into place. If it does not, the wolves will come out (I may be one) and Chan, indeed, would be out of the frying pan into the fire.

drinking.gif

I agree with MS Tech and Ahso... I think the comment made by SI is accurate... from my perspective the following is true..

I hope CG is ultra successful at Tech

I believe that he is capable of doing the job

I was disappointed with the way we were whipped in the second half of the MD game, the fact that we lost games we should have won (Clemson, Fresno State, FSU, Wake) and the fact that we lost the way we did to Georgia.. but that was last year.

I can give some latitude due to injuries, a new staff, and replacing over 90% of our offensive production from the previous year, but... I expect the ship to be "righted" this year, and in a big way. A repeat of last year or worse, and I would say that CG will be here 3 years and no more.

I have faith in the direction we are going, and give my full support to CG, but at the end of the day, its about wins and losses... we are paying him a hefty salary, and I expect wins and championships for that salary

Ahso, I also think you are right about the morale thing... and think that when we lost to FSU, (the Florida one) .. our season effectively ended... in addition, I dont think we got the leadership out of some players that we needed... and in some positions, that leadership is a must have... we just didnt get it from some...

I also agree that the SI article is right. He is on the "hot seat" and frankly I think he did things last year that deserve this. My judgement of how he performs this year is not solely tied to wins and losses but also how he handles the team and their execution. That is the part last year that disappointed me the most.

My above post was more in reference to toe meets leathers comments that Gailey won't last past this year and talking about still being embarrassed by last year. I just don't see the point of taking that attitude if you truly want to enjoy the upcoming season. Seems as though you lose either way it turns out.

FWIW: Last month I talked to some friends(boyhood, personal, football playing) friends of Chan's from Americus. I wanted to talk some positive football stuff re: Tech. The first thing out of their mouth was in this same vein.

I tried to tone it down. Shoot, this is a tough, tough schedule to have such repercussions. But, I guess that's "all in the game".

Anyway, I remain a "fan of Chan". Sure hope for many good breaks and superb performance this year.
Things seem a little shakey.
confused.gif

I hope he is successfull this next year but I am very skeptical. The players just quit during the Ga game, and then followed up with the sorryest bowl effort I've ever seen. We need help at most positions, but what we need the most is improvement on the sidelines.
Quiting is like cheating on your wife. The hardest time is the first time. After you do it once, it gets easier. I guarantee you that Auburn thinks if they hit us hard 5 or 6 times, we'll quit again. And they may be right - because we've done it before.

I played on a team where at least 2 "mightily counted on" starters "QUIT". Oh, they "played" the whole game, but exerted no real effort. One a tight end, the other a two way Lineman. I did not know it until we were on the way out to the field, but they began to laugh and joke like they were about to go onto some Fair Grounds and made remarks that were sickening. The result was that we tied a team 13--13 that we should have beaten by two touchdowns. Personally, I think the coaches should have seen it then and I think coaches are responsible to see it now and to jerk anyone of such a propensity to gutlessness out of the game and so far back into the shadows that they will need a flashlight to find their way off the field.

Back