SI thinks CG is on the "hot" seat

Agree with Techsamillion and John Darnell, I like Chan as a person and what he stands for, but Tech football needs innovation, a real idea on how to put together win after win, I just don't see this happening so far. The charisma and 'win at all costs' attitude is not prevalent at Tech and it's not limited to football either.

My feeling is that Cham may not be on the "hot seat" as much as some of us might like. I anticipate no matter what his record is this year that Chan will get at least a third year. I think that there is a chance that he could then bomb out like Bill Lewis - hopefully not - but whether he is around or not during year four, we will have totally lost the momentum that we had during the '97 - '00 years. I see no reason for optimism based on what I've seen thus far.

I concur CCG is going to have to produce this season. His resume says he produces somewhere along the line.
pat.gif
pat.gif

Since it is Spring I have hope and that is something after the UGAg debacle and the "Toilet Bowl" effort in California.
rolleyes.gif

tye-dye_smilie.gif

It is about wins and losses and ALSO about how and why.

The starting point is where is your program starting from and are they improving?

Tech floundered in obviously winnable games vs. Clemson and Wake. They performed well and won two they were not expected to in wins over VA and NC State.

So we choked on the opportunity that doesn't come along too often to beat FSU who was down, struggling and on our home turf. We didn't close the deal.

Maryland and Georgia just flat beat the hell out of us and that is not acceptable. Everybody loses and that is one thing, but I disagree with the post that says 21-20 vs. 51-7 is the same thing. No way. We were underprepared and we quit. I've been watching Tech football for decades but I've never seen them throw in the towel against Georgia.

Then we go to some jack-leg bowl game and get beat by Fresno of all people with 8 starters benched.

I know this is painful to dissect again and again but it is beyond me how some people want to gloss it over as if it never happened. The offseason saw no wholesale overahaul or major changes. BOB's departure leaves us with more question marks about this running game coordinator/ passing game split. Anyway you cut it Gailey wants to play call, which is his right, but aside from Spurrier you can count on your right hand how many have actually pulled it off.

SI is right - CG is on the hot seat and some do count more than others. You can get by winning 6 or 7 but two of em better be the big ones - notably Georgia and FSU.

Originally posted by Father WASP:

The offseason saw no wholesale overahaul or major changes.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not sure how you can say that when we installed an entire new offense and hired a new coordinator.

I will give Chan credit for admitting he was not prepared for running a college program. A nice gesture would have been to pull a Bob Knight and donate some salary back.

He is on the hot seat because this is the biggest season in about a generation at Tech. We have just completed a new stadium. We are playing the best home schedule in memory. We have the opportunity to make a mark in the city and win over some fence sitting fans. A six win season and all of this goes by the wayside and he will have done nothing to win over the fans who still have the jury out on him (myself included).

Chan will get three seasons, that's fair. Dave Braine may be thinking five seasons to make it happen. Either way, this is a pivotal year that George O'Leary's tenure set up - the stadium, the schedule, the expectations, etc. I can just hear the complaining now if we drop the big three (AU, F$U, ugag). Oh, and don't forget Miami in 2005, it's gonna be fun!

Back