SI Triple Option Article (Willie Fritz is the Future)

The TO has definitely made us a 0.500 team and a middle-pack ACC team. I'm not talking how we did in 2009 but how we've done lately, which is what matters most to recruits. If we go back far enough, we can say that we're a national-championship contender, since we actually were 27 years ago. But no HS recruit believes we are now and we've not been relevant in the ACC in almost 5 years.
That's just silly. We won 9 games and were absolutely relevant just two years ago, and four years ago we won 11 games and were relevant in the national picture. We've been the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC since PJ arrived, which is most certainly relevant. We've been bad the last couple years and 3 of the last 4 (which is certainly reason for frustration), but stop pretending it's always been like this and downplaying past success.

The TO has definitely made us a 0.500 team and a middle-pack ACC team.
Also, talk about CPJ inheriting a stacked team in 2008-2009 is revisionist history. Our team was ass in 2007, and we were predicted to go 3-9 and be the worst team in the ACC when Johnson took over. Most of those players did absolutely nothing until Johnson became coach, at which point it was pretty clear that the option did the exact opposite of what you say:

Paul Johnson took the epitome of a .500 team and turned it into a title contender. 3 ACCCG appearances in 10 years (30%), 6 top 2 division finishes in 10 years (60%) and 2 top 15 national finishes (20%).

You're so deep into being wrong about this that you can't even see it.

Also, talk about CPJ inheriting a stacked team in 2008-2009 is revisionist history. Our team was ass in 2007, and we were predicted to go 3-9 and be the worst team in the ACC when Johnson took over. Most of those players did absolutely nothing until Johnson became coach, at which point it was pretty clear that the option did the exact opposite of what you say:

Paul Johnson took the epitome of a .500 team and turned it into a title contender. 3 ACCCG appearances in 10 years (30%), 6 top 2 division finishes in 10 years (60%) and 2 top 15 national finishes (20%).

You're so deep into being wrong about this that you can't even see it.

LOL - "3 ACCCG appearances" Yet 1 due solely because of 2 cheating Coastal schools. A literally unprecedented season of suck for the ACC that we fell ass-backwards into the ACC-CG. And predictably, lost, as we'd do again with CPJ's best in 2014.

I've seen elsewhere the stat: "In the past 30 years, we've finished in the top 20 6 times. CPJ is responsible for 3 of those years."

To which the retort was made: "In those same 30 years, we've had 6 losing seasons. CPJ is responsible for 3 of those, all in the past 11 years."

The guy isn't the god you so desperately want him to be!

That's just silly. We won 9 games and were absolutely relevant just two years ago, and four years ago we won 11 games and were relevant in the national picture. We've been the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC since PJ arrived, which is most certainly relevant. We've been bad the last couple years and 3 of the last 4 (which is certainly reason for frustration), but stop pretending it's always been like this and downplaying past success.

I downplay success and you downplay failure. I don't like the coach nor scheme and you like both.

I've got no problems admitting that, shaking your hand and hoping for the best because, at the beginning & end of the day, we both want GT football to ööööing wreck people. So since it's game day, let's just end on that note and hope we blow Petrinoville's crummy team to pieces in a few hours, as I've predicted we will in your Season Prediction pool. :cheers:

I can't wait until we run the same offense as Vanderbilt and lose like Vanderbilt. Our colors are already kind of similar. Hey, we might even be as irrelevant as Vanderbilt too. I f'n can't wait! When was the last time Vanderbilt was in any meaningful game? They are so irrelevant you probably can't remember.

Vanderbilt is in the SEC. Totally different situation than we are in.

LOL - "3 ACCCG appearances" Yet 1 due solely because of 2 cheating Coastal schools. A literally unprecedented season of suck for the ACC that we fell ass-backwards into the ACC-CG. And predictably, lost, as we'd do again with CPJ's best in 2014.

I've seen elsewhere the stat: "In the past 30 years, we've finished in the top 20 6 times. CPJ is responsible for 3 of those years."

To which the retort was made: "In those same 30 years, we've had 6 losing seasons. CPJ is responsible for 3 of those, all in the past 11 years."

The guy isn't the god you so desperately want him to be!
A: I don't think anything of the sort. I just think he did some really good stuff before things derailed the last couple seasons, and I'm still not convinced he won't get it back on track.

B: I like the scheme. If we could find somebody with the same X's and O's prowess but better recruiting, I'd take him in a heartbeat, which is why I think Monken would be a great option (pun intended) if he has the personality to be a good recruiter.

I downplay success and you downplay failure. I don't like the coach nor scheme and you like both.

I've got no problems admitting that, shaking your hand and hoping for the best because, at the beginning & end of the day, we both want GT football to ööööing wreck people. So since it's game day, let's just end on that note and hope we blow Petrinoville's crummy team to pieces in a few hours, as I've predicted we will in your Season Prediction pool. :cheers:
Fair enough. We desperately need a win tonight.

I'm worried about where we are right now, just like everyone else. But what's so strange about the complaints is that most people are so beaten into a defeatist attitude that their hopes and expectations for the next coach are, let's see, beating UGA 30% of the time, being competitive in the division most of the time, and being relevant nationally once or twice a decade. But then they also complain when CPJ does exactly what they think future GT coaches are gonna do.

The reality is that for people who are unhappy 2008-2009 is completely irrelevant. That's too long ago to matter to anybody. And if you're just looking at the most recent years, things have been really erratic. Our offense has been pretty bad for the past three years, despite the occasional games of massive yardage and easy points.

Oh yeah let's switch to whatever everyone else is doing. I'm sure we can recruit better OTs and QBs than everyone else

Back