Sleeping Giant

Since 1966, what has happened to any of our coaching regimes that started out gangbusters (such as beating ugag the first year)?

Since 1966, what has happened to any of our coaching regimes that started out gangbusters (such as beating ugag the first year)?
Don't care. If CGC beats ugag his first year, at Grant Field, he gains an extra 3-4 years of job security.

A 3-5 win team would be a massive disappointment. We should be no worse than 4-4 in conference.

A big part of our runs the past few years have just been a power running game. If we can’t keep doing that against a d spread to at least respect the pass, we are in big trouble.

I am looking for a bowl. Not a good one, but a bowl.

I expect us to lose to Clemson and win on out with the exception of Georgia

I expect us to lose to Clemson and win on out with the exception of Georgia

I think Clem and uga will no doubt be long shots.

While I won't go so far as to say we can will all the rest, there's not another game on the schedule that we shouldn't at least have a chance to win.

We'll just have to see how things (injuries, turnover ratio, how the O progresses...) play out.

That said, becoming bowl eligible (and the extra practices that go along with it) would mark a successful debut season for CGC.

Reactions: odw
If CGC can clean up the piss poor ball security from the last two years and get our special teams (kickoffs and FG) up to below average from the current ööööty, we should be a solid 7 win team in spite of the transition.

Seriously, those two things have put probably 5 losses on us over the last two years. Neither of them are scheme related. I expect the ST to improve dramatically. Kickoff coverage is a huge part mental. CPJ workman like philosophy just didn’t seem to work.

Admissions rates, per Google:

MIT – 7.9%
Caltech – 8.1%
Berkeley – 16.9%
Ga Tech – 25.8%
Purdue – 56%
I was mainly referring to the issue of limited majors in a school known primarily for its emphasis on technology. From an acceptance rate I see your point.

A giant doesn't wake up and get 3-5 wins. A giant wakes up, wins 10 and finishes the regular season with 22 men in a circle, surrounding and juicing all over a sobbing, prostrate Kirby Smart at midfield, as his players avert their eyes in shame and half a stadium of slobbering rednecks deeply question both their sexuality and whether they still have the receipt for the game day shirt they picked up that morning at Wal-Mart.

A giant doesn't wake up and get 3-5 wins. A giant wakes up, wins 10 and finishes the regular season with 22 men in a circle, surrounding and juicing all over a sobbing, prostrate Kirby Smart at midfield, as his players avert their eyes in shame and half a stadium of slobbering rednecks deeply question both their sexuality and whether they still have the receipt for the game day shirt they picked up that morning at Wal-Mart.
good to see you posting at full tilt. skrong.

If CGC can clean up the piss poor ball security from the last two years and get our special teams (kickoffs and FG) up to below average from the current ööööty, we should be a solid 7 win team in spite of the transition.

Seriously, those two things have put probably 5 losses on us over the last two years. Neither of them are scheme related. I expect the ST to improve dramatically. Kickoff coverage is a huge part mental. CPJ workman like philosophy just didn’t seem to work.
special teams has a legitimate shot at getting two all americans.

Tech coaches and first year results since 1967

Bud Carson 1967 (4-6) loss to uga 21-14, forced out in 1971.

Bill Fulcher 1972 (7-4) loss to uga 27-7, left in 1973 after increasing racial tensions

Pepper Rodgers 1974 (6-5) beat uga 34-14, fired after 1979 after winning at a 50% clip despite his flamboyant behavior.

Bill Curry 1980 (1-9) loss to uga 38-20. Hired by Alabama in 1986.

Bobby "Boss" Ross 1987 (2-9) loss to uga 30-16, goes on to in NC in 1990 and leaves for the Chargers following the 1991 seasob.

Bill Lewis 1992 (5-6) loss to uga 31-17, fired mid way through his third season season.

George O'Leary 1994 (interim) (0-3) lost to uga 48-10. 1995 (full) (6-5) lost to uga 18-17. Leaves Tech for Notre Dame following 2001.

Chan Gailey 2002 (7-6) lost to uga 51-7. Fired after 2007 after an extremely average career, never beat uga.

Paul Johnson 2008 (9-4) beat uga 45-42. Retored following 2018 season.

So first year coaches since Dodd (including O'learys interim and first full season) are 2-8 against uga. Being outscored 320-187 (average score of 32-18.7 pups), so if CGC can beat the mutts in his first year he'll be in rare company.

This year will be about the same as the last few years in that the Coastal winner will probably have 3 conference losses and come down to a tiebreaker with all the Coastal teams being able to point to a turnover here and a bad call there. I’ve analyzed the Coastal in years past and every team has the same pain we have had with the if and buts. The Coastal is just waiting for someone to take control and I hope that it will be GT starting in 2021 if not 2020. One thing that I’ll take to my grave is that we gave away the Coastal way too many times in the past decade when it was ours for the taking. I still have visions of Attaochu’s helmet slap and Nesbitt’s broken arm and don’t even bring up Pitt. But I’m able to fall asleep knowing what Kirby gave away.

This year will be about the same as the last few years in that the Coastal winner will probably have 3 conference losses and come down to a tiebreaker with all the Coastal teams being able to point to a turnover here and a bad call there. I’ve analyzed the Coastal in years past and every team has the same pain we have had with the if and buts. The Coastal is just waiting for someone to take control and I hope that it will be GT starting in 2021 if not 2020. One thing that I’ll take to my grave is that we gave away the Coastal way too many times in the past decade when it was ours for the taking. I still have visions of Attaochu’s helmet slap and Nesbitt’s broken arm and don’t even bring up Pitt. But I’m able to fall asleep knowing what Kirby gave away.

Why not take the Coastal this year while it’s down? I can’t wait until 2021. Let’s get our 7-8 wins this yr and build momentum

What about Pitt, though?

Why not take the Coastal this year while it’s down? I can’t wait until 2021. Let’s get our 7-8 wins this yr and build momentum

I think we could but it’s hard for me to pick a team that is in the midst of a total regime and cultural change. I gotta believe a team like UVA with an entrenched QB and staff will be more consistent than GT this year. But, it is wide open and will come down to players making plays. I hope Patenaude utilizes our QB running skills a lot this year like UVA does. Johnson looked elusive two springs back and Graham is a bigger Justin Thomas so I hope we utilize those skills while they learn the passing game. I’m concerned Johnson may try to hard to stay in the pocket. With 4-5 wideouts our QB’s will have space to run. We know how deadly that can be because we’ve seen it destroy us often recently.

I think we could but it’s hard for me to pick a team that is in the midst of a total regime and cultural change. I gotta believe a team like UVA with an entrenched QB and staff will be more consistent than GT this year. But, it is wide open and will come down to players making plays. I hope Patenaude utilizes our QB running skills a lot this year like UVA does. Johnson looked elusive two springs back and Graham is a bigger Justin Thomas so I hope we utilize those skills while they learn the passing game. I’m concerned Johnson may try to hard to stay in the pocket. With 4-5 wideouts our QB’s will have space to run. We know how deadly that can be because we’ve seen it destroy us often recently.

This is my feeling too. We've got two QB's who are probably at a very similar level. We don't need to try to protect one. I'm hoping to see a good amount of called QB runs, not just escapes. If one guy gets hurt, then sure, maybe run a little less if you are concerned about a dropoff with QB3.

If Lucas/James can keep a linebacker at home, it should make it easier to find open TE's and slotbacks.

Back