Smith's bowl ring on e-bay

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Re: Smith\'s bowl ring on e-bay

AJC online has an article about. Smith apparently lost it a while back and never tried to find where it ended up.

My question is why did we get rings for losing the Peach Bowl?

AJC Story Here

Smith acknowledged having received the ring. However, he contends that he mailed it home, only for the ring never to arrive. Smith said he never followed up on what happened and has not seen the ring since.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GeeTee do you know something or are you just choosing not to believe Jonathan? Do you really think he is dumb enough to try and sell it himself on ebay after the whole UGa ring scandal? Which is more probable - him losing it or trying to sell it after what has happened? Hmmm?

In response to the "why did we get rings for losing the bowl" people. Ring sizes are taken right after the season if we are bowl eligable. The orders are sent out, and the rings are delivered a few days to a week before the bowl game is even played. The only ring ordered after the game, that i know of is the NC ring. Rings are an honor for a season not a trophy for a bowl game.

do I know for sure if he lost it? no. do you know for sure he did? no. Just highly unlikely you "lose" a bowl ring and then it conveniently shows up on Ebay like that. hmmmmm..

I've heard that some of the players were not all that concerned about their rings. Not that they did not like them, they would just leave them behind or lose them period.
Supposedly, this would drive O'Leary nuts.

So yes, I am gonna believe Freddy lost it. Either him or the mailman.

GeeTee, IF YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY THAT JONATHAN IS LYING AND TRYING TO SELL HIS RING IN VIOLOATION OF NCAA RULES WHY DON'T YOU JUST SAY IT!!!!

Which part of his explanation do you find unlikely? I presume you've never had a package lost in the mail? And since it's nothing but a Peach Bowl ring, how much trouble would you have gone to to find it if it was lost? And you think it's far fetched that someone who found a ring would try to sell it?

BTW, it will be pretty easy for the NCAA to find out who actually is selling the ring on eBay. If it is Fred then we'll deal with that. But personally I'm going to believe our player until it's proven otherwise.

So let's get this right now, you hate Chan, you hate Braine, you think the administration is out to kill our football program and you think Fred is lying. Is that about right? And you still claim to be a Tech fan? I swear I just don't get it.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
GeeTee, IF YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY THAT JONATHAN IS LYING AND TRYING TO SELL HIS RING IN VIOLOATION OF NCAA RULES WHY DON'T YOU JUST SAY IT!!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Its not an NCAA violation.

Originally posted by BeeStorm:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Its not an NCAA violation.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yeah, the UGAg episode proved that.

ncjacket - chill dude.

I am skeptical that a player's PEACH BOWL ring with the PLAYER'S NAME and with his SCHOOL written on it would just "lose" his ring only to have it not returned but to show up on Ebay. FSU, UGA, GT et al have all had rings to show up on Ebay for sale at some point...I sure they were all "lost" to avoid running stadium steps bc it is not the most popular thing with fans and coaches even though it is obviously not an NCAA violation.

Just bc someone wears gold and white doesn't mean they always speak the truth...remember a little guy name O'Leary.
wink.gif

GeeTee, This is THE type of comment that serves no good use for anyone interested in the best for Tech.

ok...he lost it...probably at the Cheetah.
drinking.gif

Actually, it is a violation. In the UGA case, the NCAA said, "Well, we don't have a clear rule on that, so we can't punish you. But from now on its against the rules to sell rings."

Now I don't think this will be a big deal because its so soon after the UGA thing and the ring is pretty old. He could just say he "lost it," or that he sold it a year ago back when it wasn't against the rules. Really, I don't see what the big deal is with selling rings.

GeeTee, you totally miss my point. Assuming that a player is lying is what you do to your rivals, not your own team. Sure he may be, and neither of us knows. But if you aren't prepared to think the best of Tech until proven differently than as far as I'm concerned your no fan of Tech's. I know this will probably go off into one of those stupid threads about who am I to define a fan, but there are certain things that should be understood. One - you make fun of your opponent, not your own team. Two - you assume the best of your team and the worst of your rivals. Three - you celebrate your wins (even if they are ugly) and laugh at your rivals when they lose and even when they win if you can figure out a way to play it. Four - you keep your dirty laundry in the family and out your rivals on everything you know about or think you can sell.

If Fred is lying it will catch up with him. But to make the cracks you have about one of our players is way over the line as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, Hollis reports Smith is cleared of any wrongdoing and that Tech is trying to find out how the guy selling the ring got it. But I'm sure you'll spin that as well.

Smith\'s bowl ring on e-bay

I heard on 790 that Tech was investigating how Smith's bowl ring got on e-bay. The bad news, its only worth $200. Did anyone else hear this?

ok..never be objective or speak critically of anything to do with GT...whether that be Braine, Moore, Gailey, Smith, O'Leary, B. Lewis...wait, it is ok to talk critically AFTER they are gone.

I don't stick my head in the sand and see our program through gold tinted glasses. Perhaps, I speak my mind to objectively for some, but hey, this is an INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD for entertainment purposes to discuss GT atheltics. We all have opinions and to only state great things about Gailey, the direction of our program, or to never even question the ring thing (which is quicky becoming a mountain of a molehill here) is ludicrous.

You can resume thinking everything in the Athletic world is pure...even in our own back yard...just don't ever discuss it. We like to sweep it under the rug. This comment has noting to do with the ring thing, just your comments in general.

We're obviously talking about different things here. I don't care if you're critical of Gailey, although I do think there's a difference in questioning moves or decisions and simply saying WTTE "he sucks". I was pretty critical of Moore myself, but her actions not personal attacks on her integrity or anything. And when something happens involving a Tech athlete I don't immediatly leap to a conclusion that they are lying, cheating, etc. You evidently consider all the above being objective?

My point is simply a fan pulls FOR their team. They make fun of THEIR RIVALS, not their own team. When someone does something wrong it's a painful experience, not an opportunity to gloat and make themselves look tough, or smart or whatever. You evidently have a different view.

never gloated...just saying that it is odd for a player to lose an item like that with his name on it or to even say it was lost in the mail (stated in today's AJC) and then blasted on Ebay is suspect. I think deep down you know it is, too.

End of this discussion for me...

Originally posted by GeeTee:
lost it? yea, right.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">it's not gloating. it's being dismissive.

here's a list of synonyms from a thesaurus for the word "dismissive". you'll find that many words fit most appropriately.

1 entry found for dismissive.

Function: adjective
Definition: arrogant

Synonyms: bloated, boastful, cavalier, cocky, conceited, contemptuous, cool, disdainful, dismissive, domineering, egotistic, egotistical, haughty, high-handed, huffy, imperious, insolent, lofty, lordly, masterful, narcissistic, ostentatious, overbearing, pompous, presumptuous, pretentious, puffed up, scornful, self-important, self-satisfied, sniffy, snobbish, snooty, stuck-up, supercilious, superior, vain, vainglorious

Concept: behavior (bad)

Originally posted by ncjacket:

My point is simply a fan pulls FOR their team. They make fun of THEIR RIVALS, not their own team. When someone does something wrong it's a painful experience, not an opportunity to gloat and make themselves look tough, or smart or whatever. You evidently have a different view.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks for stating this so succinctly and thoroughly, ncjacket. It is interesting that it is such a difficult concept for several posters, some of whom don't seem to be stupid.

Back