Smith's bowl ring on e-bay

Re: Smith\'s bowl ring on e-bay

Gentlemen,

Did anyone pause for a moment and consider why a SA would consider selling a jacket, jersey, or a ring?

One possibility is a kid who puts no value on the item, his team or the school he attends and represents. I put the odds of that right up with UGA winning the next NC.

The other possibility is the kid needs money, real bad.

I don't question Jonathan Smith's honesty, and lacking evidence to the contrary, in my book doing so even speculatively is way-way over the line; same for the UGA kids by the way.

Some of you may be thinking, well, if the kid needs money that bad he should borrow it... If you’re thinking that you are further removed from the NCAA rules on SA's borrowing money than me.

The real hypocrisy that continues to exist is the one that preaches that “the NCAA is a not-for-profit venture and the kids should not be paid to play, regardless of financial hardship”; pure BS.

By supporting this hypocrisy, the school gets free labor (well very cheaply as the kid gets 5 years to figure out a way to get a college education), a large cash flow (huge cash flow for some). Meanwhile, more and more kids leave school early or by-pass college entirely and go straight to the real pros.

My opinion is the kids should not be paid to play in college.

They now receive a scholarship for about five years for most of them. That amounts to about $100,000 scholarship. It covers their housing, school expenses, and food.

In addition, I saw an article a few days ago stating the kids get about $4,000 a year for spending money. This equates to about $333 a month which seems to me a lot of spending money for a young person living at home (domitory) with no expenses.

The kids get to travel around the country free to see the various sites of America. With all the bowl games, most SAs attend big weekend galas at the many bowl sites. They have it made compared to many people, and they are playing for the fun of it.

The two things that are going to kill sports for most of the colleges in the country are the paying of athletes to play and the huge salaries for head coaches.

Soon, only the major colleges with the big money will be able to compete. The remainder will have to give up football as they could not pay the athletes.

If anyone thinks the colleges are getting wealthy with a huge cash flow, why are the colleges trying to decide which other sports to give up to save money or expand to bring in more revenue? It is because many are losing money.

The colleges could not have big football programs today if it were not for the big donors. How long do you think the big donors and fans are going to be pinched until they revolt?

We already have the pros. If the kids want to skip college and go play for money, let them take that route.

The SA is actually getting about $24,000 or more a year with his education and monthly stipend. How many kids do you think are trying to attend college and do not have this benefit? How many kids are unable to attend college because of the lack of money?

The student athlete already has a gold mine compared to the remaining students.

Even the poorest of SAs have it made. At least, they are getting a monthly stipend, free housing, free education, and free food. If they were not in college and were poor, they would still have a hard time.

Even the poorest of families tend to buy some clothes. So, if an athlete from a poor familly is getting everything else free, the parents could help out some with his clothes.

I am definitely against paying the amateur athletes to play at the college level.

Father Time

You'll have to fill me in on the stipend ahso, I haven't seen anything on that. The only money I was aware of is meal money when the athletes are expected to be in town and the dining halls aren't open.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
NCJacket, I just searched through the AJC archives and did not find it. Maybe someone else can rememeber the article and where to find it.

I also remember the author stated the new money could be used as the coach sees fit to help an athelete. It mentioned a recruiter might tell a prospect from another area that they could guarantee him trips home via airflight or airflight for his family to visit him.

The funds would come from this additional monies,and the new monies might be used by coaches to buy recruits. These monies were in addition to the average stipend of about $4,000 they now receive.

I will keep searching to see if I can find it.

Father Time.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahsoisee,

psst, take a look at the first link I posted above....

wggjacket,

I'm not sure I'm ready to jump all the way to semi-pro but I would advocate the following changes:

SAs-

No more Freshman on the varsity, back to Frosh football. The first year is the hardest to get thru. Let the kids focus on making the grade. Result, greater percentage finish and finish sooner.

Full boat as long as it takes to get a degree, providing kid takes a full load and makes the grades.

Increase spending allowances by 2X-3X.

Low/no interest loans available to kid for financial hardships, including needs of immediate family.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:

SAs-

No more Freshman on the varsity, back to Frosh football. The first year is the hardest to get thru. Let the kids focus on making the grade. Result, greater percentage finish and finish sooner.

Full boat as long as it takes to get a degree, providing kid takes a full load and makes the grades.

Increase spending allowances by 2X-3X.

Low/no interest loans available to kid for financial hardships, including needs of immediate family.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I like these ideas, 71jacket. Maybe some kind of cross between red-shirting and non-eligibility for frosh would work. Let the students concentrate on first-year classes, but still have 4 yr eligibility. Nowadays, this only kicks in if you don't need immediate help from freshman players.

the low/no interest loan idea perhaps should be entirely administered by a 3rd party, the NCAA maybe.

71YellowJacket, it is entirely possible your link is where I saw the information. The old mind doesn't work as well as it did at one time.

grin.gif

71YJ, i like your ideas too.

freshmen should not be allowed to play varsity although we will be banking on almost the entire incoming class this year.

let them learn the system and go to school and get 20 to 25 % of their coursework completed. that should help with grad rates.

btw .. aren't you glad that you changed your font from 71Bee to 71YJ in the light of the florida crocodile snafu? LOL

Isn't that article talking about Pell grants? If so, that's nothing new and is need based as I understand it. So all players don't get it, just those whose family finances justify it.

ylojk8,

Glad I changed it (teased into the change by Goldtimer). Only problem is Yellow Jackets are not black and old gold ..
rolleyes.gif

ncjacket,

I think the Pell Grant is a separate program

here is a posting on the new NCAA rules for this new grant:

Pell Grant Recipients

The NCAA has established the “Special Assistance Fund” which is available to all student-athletes who are eligible for a Pell Grant or who have demonstrated financial need as determined by an analysis conducted that is consistent with Federal Government and University criteria. The NCAA Special Assistance Fund is coordinated by the staff in the Athletics Director’s Office. It is a student-athlete’s responsibility to initiate contact to have access the Fund.

The Fund may be used for the following purposes:
Medical expenses (except those covered by another insurance program, either institutional or personal).
Hearing aid
Vision Therapy (e.g., contact lenses, eye glasses)
Off-campus psychological counseling
Travel expenses for parents or student-athletes related to family emergencies
Clothing or shoes, up to $500
Purchase of expendable course supplies (e.g., notebooks, pens) and rental of non-expendable course supplies (e.g., computer equipment, cameras) that are required for all students enrolled in the course.
Under special circumstances international and domestic student-athletes are eligible to receive funds even though they do not receive a Pell Grant. The process that must be followed includes:
The awarding institution must certify in writing through the Director of Financial Aid that the student-athlete has unmet financial needs beyond the value of a full grant-in-aid, as demonstrated by a needs analysis conducted according to Federal Congressional methodology.
The written certification must be submitted with the application form to the conference office, and a copy must also be on file in the Office of the Director of Athletics.
The distribution of funds under these conditions may not exceed $500 per year per student-athlete and may be awarded to meet expenses listed above except for the purchase of course supplies; the rental of nonexpendable supplies; and, clothing and shoes.
Student-athletes who do not receive Pell Grants are eligible for the funds only if they are receiving full grants-in-aid from their institutions.
Awarding the Special Assistance Fund is left to the discretion of the University within the guidelines of the NCAA.

Well, apparently the NCAA believes it needs to open its purse for the kids.

http://www.charleston.net/stories/072703/bur_27burger.shtml

In addition, Goldtimer, posted on the hive:

"From USN&WR for students entering '01:

www2.acs.ncsu.edu/UPA/peers/current/ncsu_peers/retengrad.htm

Note only 21% of GT students graduate in 4 yrs (the lowest % in the table), compared to 88% for Duke!"

Anyone care to guess how many of our football SA’s complete a college degree program in 5 years?

imho, do away with them being students at all. pay them and make it the "minor leagues" of the nfl.

NCJacket, I will try to find it. I think it was an AJC article. It was imbedded in another article about the NCAA taking something like $17 million dollars from TV revenue and disbursing it back to all the Division I colleges to aid the student atheletes in their daily needs.

The $4000 per student was mentioned as the average stipend per SA at this particular time.

The article was telling about some of the rules of "how the money could be spent", and it opened the doors for a lot of ways to pay a recruit for coming to your school.

Father Time

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GeeTee:
lost it? yea, right
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">it's not gloating. it's being dismissive.

here's a list of synonyms from a thesaurus for the word "dismissive". you'll find that many words fit most appropriately.

1 entry found for dismissive.

Function: adjective
Definition: arrogant

Synonyms: bloated, boastful, cavalier, cocky, conceited, contemptuous, cool, disdainful, dismissive, domineering, egotistic, egotistical, haughty, high-handed, huffy, imperious, insolent, lofty, lordly, masterful, narcissistic, ostentatious, overbearing, pompous, presumptuous, pretentious, puffed up, scornful, self-important, self-satisfied, sniffy, snobbish, snooty, stuck-up, supercilious, superior, vain, vainglorious

Concept: behavior (bad)</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Interesting..

NCJacket, I just searched through the AJC archives and did not find it. Maybe someone else can rememeber the article and where to find it.

I also remember the author stated the new money could be used as the coach sees fit to help an athelete. It mentioned a recruiter might tell a prospect from another area that they could guarantee him trips home via airflight or airflight for his family to visit him.

The funds would come from this additional monies,and the new monies might be used by coaches to buy recruits. These monies were in addition to the average stipend of about $4,000 they now receive.

I will keep searching to see if I can find it.

Father Time.

Back