Some Of You Are Going To Dislike This

2. Beej explain the reason he loses 2/3 of his games against comparable opponents is because opponents know CPJ is a genius and try extra hard.
Define "comparable opponent."

I might argue that Geoff Collin's results last year are more in line with what we will see against actual comparable opponents.

Time will tell, but my unfortunate prediction is that the Geoff Collins regime, and all regimes to follow, are going to serve as a reminder to Tech fans about who we should be comparing ourselves against.

Wake Forest ran Jim Grobe out of town because they were tired of losing to "comparable opponents."

This is absurd on its face.

The data not only fits the theory, but if I had had the presence of mind to formulate the theory a half decade sooner than I did, I could have easily made 6 figures in Vegas on nothing more than that theory alone. Go build an excel sheet and try it for yourself. Simple rules:

Always bet Tech on the spread for any time Tech faces a new coach first in the regular season.

Always bet against Tech's opponent on the week after they play Tech if the coach has faced CPJ more than twice.

If your theory were true, only one of these two would be winning bets. If my theory were true, both would be winning bets. You'll find, when you run the numbers, that the second bet criteria is actually even more solid than the first, and it grows to be even more solid with the number of times that coach has lost to CPJ.

7127827ac34dca6431a596e6eb2412a51c47efe07a3b85352f7e80ed697f2d3c.jpg

Last edited:
But IIWII. Argue with facts. Downvote facts. It is still factual.

First, the frame of reference. From a nearby thread...

I changed it to...

I got this response.

So let's define "unprepared." I am defining it as head coaches facing our offense their first and second time, except for bowls when there is extra time to prepare.

I reviewed our record in conference games and UGA, as comparables. These are consistent opponents and have motive to prepare against us. I also define all conference games as non-cupcake.

The first time we faced a conference /UGA head coach, CPJ won at a rate of 77.8% He scored over 30 ppg. If you throw out CPJ's first season here, as his own players were still learning the offense and were not efficient, he won 83.3% of his games with a scoring rate over 35 ppg. If you try to identify when the team "got it" (the Miami and UGA games of 2008) and throw out the games before that, he won 85% of his games and averaged 36 ppg. That's amazing, against coaches the first time he faces them. Pick any number above you want, between 77.8% and 85%, scoring 30 ppg to 36 ppg. That's up to you.

The second time he faced a HFC, CPJ won at a rate of 65% and scored over 31 ppg.

The third time he faced a HFC, CPJ won at a rate of 46.1%. Still a good scoring average, but his inability to recruit and craft a defense hurt him. Fourth time, he won 50%, but the scoring dropped some. Fifth time he faced a HFC, he won at a rate of 28.6% with a scoring of 25 ppg. Beyond that, he won at a 33.3% rate.

So for 1st and 2nd time facing a HFC, he won 72.3% with 31.6 ppg.

The 3rd or more time facing a HFC, he won 38.5% of his games with 26.2 ppg.

What about his bowl record @GT? Is that consistent? He has won 3 and lost 6 (33.3%). He scored 20.1 ppg, and this includes a bowl where he scored 49! This is a smaller sample size and less statistically reliable, but it tracks with the above and suggests that a month or whatever to prepare for his offense is about the same as coaching against him several previous times in conference.

So we are left with a picture of a coach that humiliates cupcakes, beats coaches the first few times he faces them, and loses reliably against prepared opponents of his level. THAT is why he "retired."

IIWII.
Excellent analysis. Thank you.

Paul Johnson will always have a special place in this Tech Fan’s heart. He took over a program that was completely mediocre and should not have been given the good talent Gailey had, and he turned it into a winner.

His wins against UGA in Athens were incredible. I was at every one of them and thoroughly enjoyed the dismay of all the Goobers walking out of S. And Son Stadium.

But he particularly annoyed me towards the end of his career and afterwards, by trying to attribute 100% of his lack of success on Georgia Tech’s academics and lack of resources. To this day he has not humbled himself and admitted this his scheme that is unpopular among today’s players was partly to blame. And I’ve lost some respect for him on that account.

Excellent analysis. Thank you.

Paul Johnson will always have a special place in this Tech Fan’s heart. He took over a program that was completely mediocre and should not have been given the good talent Gailey had, and he turned it into a winner.

His wins against UGA in Athens were incredible. I was at every one of them and thoroughly enjoyed the dismay of all the Goobers walking out of S. And Son Stadium.

But he particularly annoyed me towards the end of his career and afterwards, by trying to attribute 100% of his lack of success on Georgia Tech’s academics and lack of resources. To this day he has not humbled himself and admitted this his scheme that is unpopular among today’s players was partly to blame. And I’ve lost some respect for him on that account.
Good luck hiring a guy for his system and then asking him not to believe in his system. So should we then hire Coach Collins and ask him to not believe in recruiting or D? If he has some difficult times should we expect to hear hear him say his recruiting is unpopular? Everyone has warts, dumb thread and convo.
BTW.... very sure the former AD was a hindrance and Coach Johnson wasn’t wrong there.

But IIWII. Argue with facts. Downvote facts. It is still factual.

First, the frame of reference. From a nearby thread...

I changed it to...

I got this response.

So let's define "unprepared." I am defining it as head coaches facing our offense their first and second time, except for bowls when there is extra time to prepare.

I reviewed our record in conference games and UGA, as comparables. These are consistent opponents and have motive to prepare against us. I also define all conference games as non-cupcake.

The first time we faced a conference /UGA head coach, CPJ won at a rate of 77.8% He scored over 30 ppg. If you throw out CPJ's first season here, as his own players were still learning the offense and were not efficient, he won 83.3% of his games with a scoring rate over 35 ppg. If you try to identify when the team "got it" (the Miami and UGA games of 2008) and throw out the games before that, he won 85% of his games and averaged 36 ppg. That's amazing, against coaches the first time he faces them. Pick any number above you want, between 77.8% and 85%, scoring 30 ppg to 36 ppg. That's up to you.

The second time he faced a HFC, CPJ won at a rate of 65% and scored over 31 ppg.

The third time he faced a HFC, CPJ won at a rate of 46.1%. Still a good scoring average, but his inability to recruit and craft a defense hurt him. Fourth time, he won 50%, but the scoring dropped some. Fifth time he faced a HFC, he won at a rate of 28.6% with a scoring of 25 ppg. Beyond that, he won at a 33.3% rate.

So for 1st and 2nd time facing a HFC, he won 72.3% with 31.6 ppg.

The 3rd or more time facing a HFC, he won 38.5% of his games with 26.2 ppg.

What about his bowl record @GT? Is that consistent? He has won 3 and lost 6 (33.3%). He scored 20.1 ppg, and this includes a bowl where he scored 49! This is a smaller sample size and less statistically reliable, but it tracks with the above and suggests that a month or whatever to prepare for his offense is about the same as coaching against him several previous times in conference.

So we are left with a picture of a coach that humiliates cupcakes, beats coaches the first few times he faces them, and loses reliably against prepared opponents of his level. THAT is why he "retired."

IIWII.

Bud Foster from 2016-18 says "wut?"

Did you ever hear of anyone putting in extra time in spring or summer about Georgia, or Clemson or FSU or Tennessee? No. because they didn't.
and they damn sure ain't putting in extra time to face us now, either.

CPJ and George O’Leary are the best coaches at GT in the last 30 years. I’d give it all for 1999 and 2009 all over again.

A couple issues with this:

1) That 72.3% is skewed by 08-09 when we actually super talented teams (more talented than most of our opponents).
2) That 72.3% is also skewed by new coaches replacing fired ones. There was a reason that the coach was fired or retired.
3) The 38.5% is skewed by CPJ's later years when his crappy recruiting led to our least talented rosters since probably Curry.

In my estimation:
- CPJ was an offensive genius
- CPJ was not a genius head coach
- CPJ was a poor recruiter for reasons he controlled (his system, his personality, his antiquated recruiting policies, his effort, his loyalty to lazy recruiters) and reasons he didn't (limited budget)
- beej's post is tinfoil nuttery

Some of you post is testable, which I like.

That 72.3% is skewed by 08-09 when we actually super talented teams (more talented than most of our opponents).

Take out 08/09, the winning pct against 1st/2nd time coaches is 72.4% and 33.6 ppg, so that is very little data skewing.

That 72.3% is also skewed by new coaches replacing fired ones. There was a reason that the coach was fired or retired.

I looked at conference record for the coaches in each category as the baseline for play of the team against comparable opponents to us. Remember that the first/second time a coach faced CPJ, they may just be rotating in from the other division. I left out 08&09 for you.

1st time coaches lost to CPJ 82.4%, and lost in all other conference games 59.2%. So CPJ had a delta advantage against new opponents of 23.2%
2nd time coaches lost to CPJ 58.3% and lost in all other conference games 44.7%. So CPJ had a delta advantage against 2nd time opponents of 13.6%.
Combine the two categories, they lost to CPJ 72.4% and to all other conference opponents 53.2% for a delta of 19.2%.

I conclude that quality of new (1st and 2nd meeting) opponent coaches was close enough to 50% win rate (delta of only 3.2%) to not significantly skew the results of my original post. What we found is a clearer measure of how much CPJ's advantage started dropping between the 1st and 2nd time playing, where it essentially was cut in half between 1st and 2nd meetings.

The 38.5% is skewed by CPJ's later years when his crappy recruiting led to our least talented rosters since probably Curry.

I did not do a rigorous test, but a quick review of the data does not support this statement. 3rd time meeting in 2010 was 2-4 which is worse than later years. 4th time meeting in 2011 was 2-2, which matches later years. 5th time meeting in 2012 was 1-3, which matches later years fairly well. If you take the above out, CPJ's winning percentage was 39.5% for 3rd time meetings plus. So again, no obvious skewing.

Also, you look to the bowl results, and while every bowl is different the committees try to invite matched teams, so it should be independent of whether the recruited players were this coach's or the previous coach's. The 33.3% reinforces the original post and does not support your adjustment.

As far as your "estimations" they are not quantitative and I do not share all of them, and the point of this thread was not to beat up on CPJ's recruiting, as there are plenty of other opportunities to do so. My goal was to pierce the conventional wisdom that he was an "offensive genius", which still infects this board on a daily basis. I don't bring it up daily. His admirers do. And they are wrong. He ran an unsound offense that tripped up the under-prepared. The bowl results of 20 ppg proves this all by itself. That's about 25% less than expected in a bowl game.

As far as Beej's posts, they do vary from rationality significantly I admit. But the league did GT no favors with scheduling under CPJ. That is true. They did GT no favors with scheduling under the coach before him, so it is hard to claim any special aspect of that to support a claim it proves CPJ was a genius.

Last edited:
CPJ, offensive coordinator no contest.

Tenuta defensive coordinator I don't give af what you think.

CGC head coach, and in charge of recruiting

Stop right there before you disagree. Now get the hell out.

Some of you post is testable, which I like.

Take out 08/09, the winning pct against 1st/2nd time coaches is 72.4% and 33.6 ppg, so that is very little data skewing.

I looked at conference record for the coaches in each category as the baseline for play of the team against comparable opponents to us. Remember that the first/second time a coach faced CPJ, they may just be rotating in from the other division. I left out 08&09 for you.

1st time coaches lost to CPJ 82.4%, and lost in all other conference games 59.2%. So CPJ had a delta advantage against new opponents of 23.2%
2nd time coaches lost to CPJ 58.3% and lost in all other conference games 44.7%. So CPJ had a delta advantage against 2nd time opponents of 13.6%.
Combine the two categories, they lost to CPJ 72.4% and to all other conference opponents 53.2% for a delta of 19.2%.

I conclude that quality of new (1st and 2nd meeting) opponent coaches was close enough to 50% win rate (delta of only 3.2%) to not significantly skew the results of my original post. What we found is a clearer measure of how much CPJ's advantage started dropping between the 1st and 2nd time playing, where it essentially was cut in half between 1st and 2nd meetings.

I did not do a rigorous test, but a quick review of the data does not support this statement. 3rd time meeting in 2010 was 2-4 which is worse than later years. 4th time meeting in 2011 was 2-2, which matches later years. 5th time meeting in 2012 was 1-3, which matches later years fairly well. If you take the above out, CPJ's winning percentage was 39.5% for 3rd time meetings plus. So again, no obvious skewing.

Also, you look to the bowl results, and while every bowl is different the committees try to invite matched teams, so it should be independent of whether the recruited players were this coach's or the previous coach's. The 33.3% reinforces the original post and does not support your adjustment.

As far as your "estimations" they are not quantitative and I do not share all of them, and the point of this thread was not to beat up on CPJ's recruiting, as there are plenty of other opportunities to do so. My goal was to pierce the conventional wisdom that he was an "offensive genius", which still infects this board on a daily basis. I don't bring it up daily. His admirers do. And they are wrong. He ran an unsound offense that tripped up the under-prepared. The bowl results of 20 ppg proves this all by itself. That's about 25% less than expected in a bowl game.

As far as Beej's posts, they do vary from rationality significantly I admit. But the league did GT no favors with scheduling under CPJ. That is true. They did GT no favors with scheduling under the coach before him, so it is hard to claim any special aspect of that to support a claim it proves CPJ was a genius.
I can prove almost anything by statistics, occasionally even the truth! George Canning

Quite honestly, i would bet those stats would hold true for many, many coaches. Coaches in year one or two of a program typically inherit fb programs with problems. those teams would normally lose to established coaches and offenses.

I can prove almost anything by statistics, occasionally even the truth! George Canning

Quite honestly, i would bet those stats would hold true for many, many coaches. Coaches in year one or two of a program typically inherit fb programs with problems. those teams would normally lose to established coaches and offenses.

But established coaches vs established coaches would net at around 50%, not 30-something%.

CPJ and George O’Leary are the best coaches at GT in the last 30 years. I’d give it all for 1999 and 2009 all over again.
And yet both.......
But he particularly annoyed me towards the end of his career and afterwards, by trying to attribute 100% of his lack of success on Georgia Tech’s academics and lack of resources.

A couple issues with this:

1) That 72.3% is skewed by 08-09 when we actually super talented teams (more talented than most of our opponents).
2) That 72.3% is also skewed by new coaches replacing fired ones. There was a reason that the coach was fired or retired.
3) The 38.5% is skewed by CPJ's later years when his crappy recruiting led to our least talented rosters since probably Curry.

In my estimation:
- CPJ was an offensive genius
- CPJ was not a genius head coach
- CPJ was a poor recruiter for reasons he controlled (his system, his personality, his antiquated recruiting policies, his effort, his loyalty to lazy recruiters) and reasons he didn't (limited budget)
- beej's post is tinfoil nuttery
Spot On!!

Back