Some thoughts on the QB situation...

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
The Bilbo move is really bad news (it seems like this is the only kind we get lately) for our prospects this year. I had pinned what remaining optimism I had on Bilbo's progression at QB. If he can't win the job, the I think our only hope is Suggs. A freshmen QB will be a disaster with our lack of depth/talent at RB and other weaknesses on our team. I think we will be lucky to win 3 games with a true freshmen, AJ gives us a chance to win 6 or 7.

On a side not, I think we should quit blamming this on Bilbo 'mental' abilities. There are a lot of skills required including being an accurate passer and being able to make quick decisions under pressure (not neccessarily a measure of intellegence). Bilbo has always seemed like an intelligent guy in the interviews that I have seen. The fact that he has remained eligible during Carole Moore's reign of terror is enough evidence of his mental abilities for me.

Man, I remember when I had my first beer. Of course my friends kept me away from a keyboard so I wouldn't embarass myself. You should have friends like that.

You are an absolute idiot! Why don't you go look at the QB's before you pass judgement. If you do, and still have the same opinion, you need to find another sport or get a brain transplant.

Righteous remarks indeed from Mr. Member. Now where were we?
rolleyes.gif

Two things:

1) As an underdog, we are better off putting a guy at QB that make something happen out of nothing...ala Joey Hamilton. Not saying Ball is...but he does fall in the same category.

2) Football smarts is completely different than book smarts. Coach Eddie Wilson used to say that all the time. When someone says a QB is having a hard time making good decisions, seeing the field, reading defensive alignments...it does not mean he is not intelligent. It is football mind at Div. 1 football speed. A completely different thing.

I am proud to have Ball and Bilbo as Jackets. I wish Ball the best at QB....and I wish Bilbo the best at his future position.

I also know that as much sports as I have played and watched avidly in my life...our coaches know far more than me. However, it is fun pretending!

Originally posted by hiveredtech:

Football smarts is completely different than book smarts. Coach Eddie Wilson used to say that all the time. When someone says a QB is having a hard time making good decisions, seeing the field, reading defensive alignments...it does not mean he is not intelligent. It is football mind at Div. 1 football speed. A completely different thing.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Nail - Hammer- head.

They are two different skill sets. I have no doubt that Dbo is a smart guy, and a great athlete. It just wasn't working out at the QB position.

Originally posted by Kennesawkid:
You are an absolute idiot! Why don't you go look at the QB's before you pass judgement. If you do, and still have the same opinion, you need to find another sport or get a brain transplant.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Someone needs a 'brain transplant' when they think it is a scary proposition to start a true freshman quarterback against our toughest schedule in 15 years and with all of the other problems that we have had?
Do you remember JH as a redshirt freshman? The preferred outcome would of been for Bilbo to grow into the position with his experience and athletic ability. If he can't, and we have to start a true freshmen, then this is another set back for our prospects this year.

I think you would have to be an 'idiot' to think it is a good situation to start a true freshman at QB.

Originally posted by getwrecked:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by hiveredtech:

Football smarts is completely different than book smarts. Coach Eddie Wilson used to say that all the time. When someone says a QB is having a hard time making good decisions, seeing the field, reading defensive alignments...it does not mean he is not intelligent. It is football mind at Div. 1 football speed. A completely different thing.

They are two different skill sets. I have no doubt that Dbo is a smart guy, and a great athlete. It just wasn't working out at the QB position.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks, that is the point that I tried to make, obviously very poorly.

Dear Friends and fellow G.T. supporters:

The statement: "I think you would have to be an 'idiot' to think it is a good situation to start a true freshman at QB."

1. It is not a good situation. It is a "have-to", money against the odds situation and the best for the present time, as determined by our coaches. They win or lose much, much more than we do.
2. I do not (personally) think Geis, Nix, and Gailey are idiots.
3. We do not yet know who the starting Q.B. will be.

Let's just "hide and watch" since we in all actuality can do no more. Blessings
smile.gif

Well at this point it had better be a true freshman, thats all I'm sayin'.
pat.gif

I am excited to have an athletic playmaker under center that can turn a busted play into a gain. The only reservations that I have is that I hope that this bonebreaker schedule we have early won't break his confidence. I remember about 10 years ago UGA had a young QB by the name of Preston Jones who was rated a top 5 high school QB but the Dawgs made the mistake of starting him in the opening game at Clemson at a time when the Tigers were really good and they completely abused young Jones to the point that he lost his confidence. Maybe he wouldn't have been the star everybody thought he would if they had brought him along slowly but I know from UGA friends that are very close to their program that the UGA coaches said that if they had it to do over again that they would have brought him along slowly.

If young Ball can have a fine game against BYU it should really bolster his confidence when he meets the Auburn Tigers in the friendly confines of Grant Field BDS. If this kid can have some early success this could force the biggest of our skeptics to reevaluate our season.
I know the recent developments have been an encouragment to me. Let's all get behind the Jackets and encourage them to have a good year.

Just got back from vacation with my family. I find it hard to believe that after two practices Billbo is out. He has the physical ability and the right attitude. Sounds like the only thing missing to me is quality coaching. This reminds me so much of BL bringing in his own guy. IMHO Gailey will start Suggs and this eliminates the QB controversy with alumni so Sugg won't get booed. I guess Gailey will be surprised when he has to break down and bring DBo back to QB in the middle of the season. I would say somewhere during or after the forth game. I hope we do well but this just cements my feelings of doom. And before I get the nasty replies I am going to BYU to watch are you?

Maybe Reggie Ball isn't the typical maturity level of a normal freshmen... gosh dang some of yall dig for stuff to find negative points for.

Dear kennesawkid, You are a dum dum head, and everything!!

That is the intellectual value of your response here.
Goldmember has made a very sensible remark that most objective observers would consider as valid.

Nice touch with "absolute idiot, brain transplant" in a 2 line post.

I think goldmember raised a seious question. I hope the coaching staff is on top of it.
Personally, I do not try to think what Gailey, Geiss, and Nix will do regarding the starting QB at BYU, thats their job.

If the rumor that Bilbo was sleeping through qb meetings is true, I support the decision to move him.
Whatever position he finds, if he stays awake, he will help us.

If this rumor is unfounded, I still support the coaching staff for their reasons.

Originally posted by gtmg:
Just got back from vacation with my family. I find it hard to believe that after two practices Billbo is out. He has the physical ability and the right attitude. Sounds like the only thing missing to me is quality coaching. This reminds me so much of BL bringing in his own guy. IMHO Gailey will start Suggs and this eliminates the QB controversy with alumni so Sugg won't get booed. I guess Gailey will be surprised when he has to break down and bring DBo back to QB in the middle of the season. I would say somewhere during or after the forth game. I hope we do well but this just cements my feelings of doom. And before I get the nasty replies I am going to BYU to watch are you?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Go watch a practice and then tell me what you think ! To say that it cements your feeling of doom says to me that you dont think much of Ball's ability.. if you had seen what I have seen.. you wouldnt have made that post.

Originally posted by goldmember:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by getwrecked:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by hiveredtech:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks, that is the point that I tried to make, obviously very poorly.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

[Goldmember posted:]
I think you would have to be an 'idiot' to think it is a good situation to start a true freshman at QB.

Ummmm...you might want to call our newest member of the ACC (a.k.a. Virginia Tech) and tell them to go back and not let a fellow named Michael Vick play quarterback for them then.

Michael Vick redshirted his freshman year because he and the VT staff felt he needed a little time to learn the system. Ummmm....might should have cited Drew Breeze.

I think it is right to think that you do not want to have to start a freshman, and a true one at that, at QB. Most freshman struggle early in the year and we have a schedule that makes it likely. You would prefer to have a proven veteran.

While I'd prefer a proven veteran at QB, we don't have one so I'm very excited to have a young talent at QB. The reports on Ball all sounds great too. I had CG pegged as conservative and feared a return to Suggs this year. Props to coach on making the non-Suggs call. This is the first charge of excitement I've had since Hollings tore up his knee.

We, on this thread are all speaking of which we know very little. The folks that have gone to practice know more that you (most posters that is)or I. Maybe Mr. Ball is one of those kids who when he beats a good team will grow and grow and grow. And when he loses to a good team, I have this feeling that he will sit down analyse(sp) what happended and learn from his mistakes. Once I made a terrible boo boo (Saturn V man to the moon very correctable but I was in my 20s) and when I spoke to my manager he responded ok correct it and you learned not to make that mistake again. Maybe Mr Ball will learn from his mistake and take it to the next level.

Back