Some thoughts on the QB situation...

Bilbo's stats in high school:

6. Moss Point, Miss. (13-1)

Previous: 17. Recap: Defeated then-No. 24 Clinton 45-14 to win its fifth overall 5A state championship before 10,000 in Jackson. Senior QB Damarius Bilbo completed 169 of 316 passes for 3,264 yards and accounted 3,264 yards, 37 TDs and 10 FGs. He finished with 4,412 yards and 46 TDs. LB Jason McBeth (6-2, 190) and DB Tony Sipp (6-1, 170) led the defense. The only loss came against No. 5 West Monroe (La.) 28-23 Oct. 13.

Obviously cannot understand the game nor play quarterback. Ranked #1 or #2 in the country when recruited. Ball was ranked #15 with no where near this kind of stats nor did he get out of the first round of the state playoffs. He is a fine athlete but the truth is DBo has the physical tools on him and IMHO the skills as well.

I wonder why Bill Obrien in 2 years couldnt develop him?? Probably like a lot of coaches..Football is all about competition and you have to do it on the Practice field... Jermaine Crenshaw was the top QB out of Alabama and he never did pan out...It happens ALL the time..Bilbo will help us somewhere..Bet on it..

A good high school career doesn't always equate to a good college career. He had his chance at this level and he didn't hack it. Move on and give Reggie his chance.

I want you guys to think of Donnie Davis a qb that a coach we had said wouldn't pan out. Imagine if he had played 4 years at Tech what he could have done. Remember GOL and RF stuck by JH during his tough times and they were rough. He had the ability and they gave him a real shot. Crenshaw while a good athlete could not make the deep throw like DBO can and I hope Ball can. We missed that desperately last season. That is the main reason he did not make it here. How much you wanna bet that RF has been on the phone this week to Dbo?

Bilob has a great athletic gift. He will excel at some position and probably be happier for it. I didn't play college ball, but I would suspect that the change in speed and schemes is a tremendous jump from HS. Hopefully, we'll see DBO in the pros someday as a WR, RB, DB.

gtmg,

Bilbo was not the #1 or #2 rated QB coming out of High School. He was one of Insiders top 20 QBs and Ball was #22 I believe.

High School stats don't mean anything. I love Bilbo I love his arm, however he just didn't put the pieces together at the position. He was just really struggling and the other 3 were ahead of him. I know everybody has been saying it but anybody that watched practice could see it just wasn't working out for him. For whatever reason, he just wasn't a consistent performer at the position.

Based on the performances of the QBs out there, it would not have been fair to continue giving him a big chunk of the reps. Hopefully, he will find a spot where he can be successful. Maybe he will get another chance at QB down the road. It just didn't work out this time.

You have to be KIDDING. Ralph friedgen on the phone to DBO this week?????? He lose all credibility for that statement......

Originally posted by gtmg:
I want you guys to think of Donnie Davis a qb that a coach we had said wouldn't pan out. Imagine if he had played 4 years at Tech what he could have done. Remember GOL and RF stuck by JH during his tough times and they were rough. He had the ability and they gave him a real shot. Crenshaw while a good athlete could not make the deep throw like DBO can and I hope Ball can. We missed that desperately last season. That is the main reason he did not make it here. How much you wanna bet that RF has been on the phone this week to Dbo?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't think Fridge is allowed to make contact with opposing team's players.

gtmg,

I'm not sure what Donnie Davis has to do with Bilbo. Joe Hamilton was still the best QB we had in '96 and '97. Davis was probably the best kid we had when he played.

Bilbo has a great arm, but right now he was not the best quarterback, or the 2nd or the 3rd to be totally honest. He was struggling in many different areas. I understand giving a talented kid a chance, but at what point to you have to say I've got to put my best quarterbacks on the field.

First of all, Donnie Davis was a decent QB but he was very much a product of his HS. They are just down the road from me and sent several QBs to D-1 programs before and after Donnie and none ever did much. I thought Donnie was a decent college QB, but nothing to get too excited about. The run and shoot they used at his HS then really jacked up his stats. Don't know if that had anything to do with Bilbo's numbers but you never really know.

You are right gtmg that one the of things Bilbo has that Suggs doesn't is the arm to throw the deep ball. OTOH, according to those who attend practice regularly he can't hit the short and intermediate patterns consistenly. Don't know why, but I would think after 2+ years the coaches would have done about all that can be done with mechanics. Must be something else going on.

We can all see the physical tools, but why would you think he has the skills? Haven't exactly see them on display in game action. Do you attend practice much? He may still get his shot at starting, but he obviously needs to show serious improvment over what he's been doing so far.

Very much doubt Fridge is worrying about Bilbo. He has who he wants more than likely. Besides, Bilbo has already RS one year and played one. He'd have to sit out one, and would be eligible 2nd semester the following year I think. That leaves 1 year to play.

Tools are NOT all it takes to be a successfull QB...Look at Lil Joe (One of the best QBS Here on the flats) 5-9 at best but he had the HEART and fierce competitor..A lot of see a lot of that in Reggie Ball or at least we have our fingers crossed..Ball is a tad faster than Hamilton..Actually guys he will be probably one of the FASTEST QBs in all of college football..I really look forward to seeing him tuck it in and run some this year.....

Back