Someone believes

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
In about 14.5 games, Sims has thrown 18 picks. He’s had 6 games with 2+ picks, including 1 game with 4 picks. He had a 7th game where a second pick was neutralized by a penalty. It’s foolish to deny that he’s got a problem with interceptions that needs to improve.

He’s got some fumbles, too, but those stats weren’t as easy to find.

Lest anybody get it twisted, I’m just bringing some stats to the discussion. I like Sims just fine; PressManCoverage I could really do without, though.

JRjr
He just needs to pull the ball down and run it more, instead of throwing into coverage. He should be rushing/scrambling for 100 yards every game.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
He just needs to pull the ball down and run it more, instead of throwing into coverage. He should be rushing/scrambling for 100 yards every game.
No.

The picks that he can fix are:

1) not throwing into double coverage when you have a check down that is 1 on 1.

2) Know when to take a sack and when to risk the throw.

3) More touch on the crossing routes so it isn’t tipped at the line.

All of those things you would expect from a RFr QB. At a fully developed program, he would be learning in practice and not in front of the cameras. Teach him to pull it down and run more will lower his ceiling as a QB.

Things he can’t fix are bad route running, bad technique by the receivers, bad route design, and poorly disguised plays. We don’t generally have poor route design. We don’t disguise well. Receiver technique is improving, and route running is improving. He should stay the course on development, imo.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
No.

All of those things you would expect from a RFr QB. At a fully developed program, he would be learning in practice and not in front of the cameras. Teach him to pull it down and run more will lower his ceiling as a QB.

Things he can’t fix are bad route running, bad technique by the receivers, bad route design, and poorly disguised plays. We don’t generally have poor route design. We don’t disguise well. Receiver technique is improving, and route running is improving. He should stay the course on development, imo.
It seems like sometimes he stares down receivers, too. I assume looking off defenders is a skill that will develop with time.

JRjr

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
It seems like sometimes he stares down receivers, too. I assume looking off defenders is a skill that will develop with time.

JRjr
Yes, he does sometimes stare down his primary target. He definitely did on the safety pick against UVa. But he generally moves his head. May have been the Pitt game where he had his head left and eyes right and completely froze the safety.

Graybeard Jacket

Varsity Lurker
Thanks for putting together the chart--interesting information.

I agree on Pitt/UVA QB's picked us apart without much of any pressure. Let's hope that Thacker can come up with a gameplan to pressure VT more.
"game plan to pressure" is what you have to do when you don't have the players. I do believe we have recruited better and certainly bigger on the DL, but they are young and it takes awhile to be effective.

QuadF

Dodd-Like
Yes, he does sometimes stare down his primary target. He definitely did on the safety pick against UVa. But he generally moves his head. May have been the Pitt game where he had his head left and eyes right and completely froze the safety.
as far as i can remember, he stared down the receiver for almost every pick this year. The exceptions might be when he was getting hit, but even then i think most of those he already had a target picked.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
as far as i can remember, he stared down the receiver for almost every pick this year. The exceptions might be when he was getting hit, but even then i think most of those he already had a target picked.
The two against Pitt were tipped over

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
In about 14.5 games, Sims has thrown 18 picks. He’s had 6 games with 2+ picks, including 1 game with 4 picks. He had a 7th game where a second pick was neutralized by a penalty. It’s foolish to deny that he’s got a problem with interceptions that needs to improve.

Lest anybody get it twisted, I’m just bringing some stats to the discussion. I like Sims just fine; PressManCoverage I could really do without, though.

JRjr
Unfortunately with our DEF, he (sims) has to be almost perfect to win .a 15 game soph is unlikely to be good enough.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
The VT defense looked really vulnerable to the run and the QB scramble last week. The Syracuse QB (Shrader) rushed for 174 yds and 3 TDs, and their running back (Tucker) added 112 yds. Our offense should be salivating while watching that film.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd

JRjr
Sims is a physical beast. If he gets the mistakes reduced he will give defenses headaches and nausea. He’s young. He needs a good QB coach or OC to help him get there.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
No.

Too much credit to Covid and injury for 2+ games. He's no R-Fr. Come September of next year he will be a full fledged Jr. and most likely will play like one. Maybe he will be a bigger stronger faster version of Hamilton in 2023. What I fear he will miss, is Joe's tutelage and play calling from Ralph.