Southern/Tech moved to 2014?

Basically every transitioning team has one year of no playoffs in FCS and one year of no bowls in FCS. The trigger is announcing your intent to move before or after July 1 (maybe it's June 1?). Since we did it before that date, our "no playoffs" year is this year, and we'd become full FBS members in 2015.

Had we waited until after that date (or not received an invite until after that), we would have been in the playoffs and not been full FBS members until 2016.

I thought that to become FBS eligible, a team had to up their current number of scholarships to about 70 or 75. And by doing so, I thought it was that fact (too many schollies) that made Southern ineligible for the FCS playoffs.

Last edited:
I see, do you get a bigger scholarship limit this year then or does that start next year?

I don't know how much of this you already know, so I apologize in advance for extra info:

FCS teams have 63 full scholarships to spread over 85 players. Partials are allowed, but only 85 total players can receive aid. As you already know, FBS allows a maximum of 85 players with aid also, but doesn't differentiate between a partial or a full scholarship. Whether $1 or $10,000, that's one of your 85.

Starting now, my understanding is that we can increase our 85 guys all up to fulls if we wanted (assuming we have 85 on aid), or if we have less we could expand it to 85 and meet normal FBS scholarship limits.

I thought that to become FBS eligible, a team had to up their current number of scholarships to about 70 or 75. And by doing so, I thought it was that face (too many schollies) that made Southern ineligible for the FCS playoffs.

You don't HAVE to increase your numbers, but you CAN increase your numbers.

Marshall won the championship in 1996 with an increased scholarship allowance (and I think they had some players transfer down and play immediately). My assumption is that, as you said, the rule was changed to prevent this.

First year of FBS but not bowl eligble. Eligible to play for/win Sun Belt championship, though. Just no bowl bid for Eagles.
So that's two years of guaranteed no postseason for Georgia Southern, this year and next. And their final home game this year is right after Halloween.
I foresee a very disappointing 2013 for Southern. Not sure what to make of 2014 yet. When does Southern tee it up with LSU? The Eagles end the year with Florida this season.

This is funny looking back.

Gonna be a real dogfight
If they still had Monken, it could have been a close game. The new coach is changing the offense around, so they will probably be learning the offense when they play us.

This is funny looking back.

What's so funny about it? It was a disappointing season. All that talk about going undefeated and leaving as SoCon champs and it turned out to be 7-4 and 4-4 in the SoCon, with all four losses being bad beats, including getting boatraced by a 4-8 App team. Beat Florida. Yay. So did seven other teams.

Glad that a win over a FBS team came in the last chance to do so as a FCS program but it was a disappointing season. Kicked the crap out of two tomato cans to start the year, should have lost to Chattanooga and then had only 12K and change on hand to see Furman - Furman! - win in its last visit to Paulson.

What's so funny about it? It was a disappointing season. All that talk about going undefeated and leaving as SoCon champs and it turned out to be 7-4 and 4-4 in the SoCon, with all four losses being bad beats, including getting boatraced by a 4-8 App team. Beat Florida. Yay. So did seven other teams.

Glad that a win over a FBS team came in the last chance to do so as a FCS program but it was a disappointing season. Kicked the crap out of two tomato cans to start the year, should have lost to Chattanooga and then had only 12K and change on hand to see Furman - Furman! - win in its last visit to Paulson.

I think it's cute that you proclaim to be some kind of Southern "fan."

Or at least, former fan. I suppose you must be one of the good ole boys.

Two of those losses were a direct result of Monken being a ööööface and trying to design his own offense instead of doing what works. Once he stopped being stupid, we won games.

Back