Spring Is Coming

joeye

Varsity Connoisseur
According to Collins...there were only three people in the organization who could do 20 reps of 225 pounds on the bench.
This really mystifies me. I was & am a huge fan of CPJ, but how does this happen? It seems like one of the few things you can control in a program is S&C. I know our OL were built differently, but many of your D & some of your O should be able to reach this level... I don't know if we had it prior & gradually tailed off or what since 2008.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
This really mystifies me. I was & am a huge fan of CPJ, but how does this happen? It seems like one of the few things you can control in a program is S&C. I know our OL were built differently, but many of your D & some of your O should be able to reach this level... I don't know if we had it prior & gradually tailed off or what since 2008.
If a 188 lb coach can hit 20 reps of 225 then every OL, DL, LB should be able to hit it, regardless of coaching staff

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
I liked Johnson for the most part too (I was ready for him to go at the end) but there were numerous things about high level football that seemed to be overlooked or more of an afterthought.

aeromech

Dodd-Like

Sisk, 42, takes an approach that adjusts training by position, individual and class. A quarterback should have a different workout than a linebacker. A fifth-year senior should train differently than a freshman. A veteran team may need different challenges than a young one. Further, Sisk said he's not one to "chase numbers," having players achieve measurable strength gains for their own sake.
"He doesn't make weight lifters," Bobby Johnson said. "He makes better football players."

To that end, Sisk places an emphasis on developing attributes such as grip strength, flexibility and explosion off one and two feet. Conditioning is paramount.
"It was his job, but you felt like everything was so personal," Williams said. "We were his kids. Everything was just about developing each guy to be the best player they could be and getting him to the next level."
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...isk-building-momentum/oLxSMfeafj6Su7WQsUYtuO/

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like

Tuck with a nice throw. This QB battle will be fun to watch.
All you have to do is watch film to see Gleason is solid. He had big name offers too. It's a good problem to have multiple good QBs. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he is named opening day starter.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
really awesome stat from Tori M column re first practice:

Getting stronger: It would not be the start of spring practice without Collins commending his strength and conditioning staff on the work it did with the team in the offseason. “Our team is built and forged in January and February," Collins said, and he came prepared with stats to back that up. According to Collins, when he and his staff first took over the team at the start of 2019, there were only three people in the organization who could do 20 reps of 225 pounds on the bench. "One of those was our 188-pound strength coach," Collins noted of Lewis Caralla. Now, Collins is happy to report there are six players who can bench press 225 pounds more than 30 times and that nearly half of the roster is able to bench the baseline 225 pounds 20 times that the staff started with last January. "The size, the strength, all of those things is starting to look the way we want to look around here,” Collins said.

<juice.gif>
So I am a big Collins fan but I think this might be a bit of marketing here. It seems like you can go to any FCS or FBS program and find more than 2 dudes who can put up 20+ reps on the bench.

CornerBlitz

To be the man you have to beat the man
So I am a big Collins fan but I think this might be a bit of marketing here. It seems like you can go to any FCS or FBS program and find more than 2 dudes who can put up 20+ reps on the bench.
As I recall, it was 20+ reps of 225. You have to really work to achieve this. It’s obtainable, but takes a focused effort regardless of size. That said if GGC stats are accurate, it’s very disturbing and indicative of how much our program had fallen off. Regardless of how you do it, every college program includes the four big lifts of bench, squat, clean and deadlift. These are the essential building blocks to football strength development.

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
All you have to do is watch film to see Gleason is solid. He had big name offers too. It's a good problem to have multiple good QBs. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he is named opening day starter.
I agree on the possibility of his starting, the kid is smart and picks things up immediately according to his HS coach. I've heard in this offense of ours the QB needs to have some really good smarts. There are all different kinds of smarts, so we shall see.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I wouldn't hesitate to believe it for one second. Our former S&C coach (Sisk) was very clear that he did not chase any kinds of numbers and focused each individual workout for a players size, position, body type, etc.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
I wouldn't hesitate to believe it for one second. Our former S&C coach (Sisk) was very clear that he did not chase any kinds of numbers and focused each individual workout for a players size, position, body type, etc.
Interesting philosophy by Sisk if this truly was his approach. I just found it hard to believe because if you are strong, you should be able to do a lot of reps @225. When I was at GT (early 90s), I would warm up my bench with 15 reps at 225. I'm sure I was over 20 reps back then if I had tested it and I was not a football player with their S&C program to benefit me. Based upon my own experience, I cant believe we didnt have 10+ linemen over this metric, needless to say only 2 players total.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I think this is the first interview I've seen with Antonneous Clayton. Very well spoken young man and got to love his attitude and mindset:

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
IF IF IF he could be as strong as we hope,it would make real difference on DEF.