Srephen Hill = Calvin Johnson

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ball actually got worse during his career. I think he was ACC freshman of the year, IIRC. He had no businesses at QB in any pro style offense.

Georgia likely would have had a NC title in CJ would have gone there.

I think he got marginally better during his career. He quit making mistakes like taking deep sacks that took us out of field goal range, and quit trying to force the ball into double and triple coverage; but his delivery wasn't much better and I'm not sure he got any better reading the defense. His stats probably didn't improve much if at all; but I thought he played better. Still hard to believe he started at quarterback for 4 years though; he should have started at another position.

Also, CJ probably would have developed a chemical dependence that limited his NFL career had he gone to UGA.

Yet, Tevin Washington completes passes much more often and for longer yardages. Probably a good reason that Chan was fired, keep passing the ball when you are below 45%.

This: I remember many games where we would all but abandon the running game and try to put the game on the shoulders of Ball and Bennett. It was frustrating to see us averaging probably 4-5 yds a carry only to go back to throwing it on 3 straight downs and forced to punt...

Reggie ran one option play during his 4 years under Chan. It gained 3 yards.

I think he got marginally better during his career. He quit making mistakes like taking deep sacks that took us out of field goal range, and quit trying to force the ball into double and triple coverage; but his delivery wasn't much better and I'm not sure he got any better reading the defense. His stats probably didn't improve much if at all; but I thought he played better. Still hard to believe he started at quarterback for 4 years though; he should have started at another position.

Also, CJ probably would have developed a chemical dependence that limited his NFL career had he gone to UGA.

He got worse, then got marginally better as a senior. But he still peaked as a freshman.

Poor decision making led to draconian rules on passing that limited us in order to cut down on critical errors in critical situations. He stopped taking deep sacks scrambling and stopped the really bad interceptions but also held the ball when he should have thrown it. He never could find that balance in decision making of when a risk was acceptable.

He got worse, then got marginally better as a senior. But he still peaked as a freshman.

Poor decision making led to draconian rules on passing that limited us in order to cut down on critical errors in critical situations. He stopped taking deep sacks scrambling and stopped the really bad interceptions but also held the ball when he should have thrown it. He never could find that balance in decision making of when a risk was acceptable.

like on 4th down vs. the mutts

“I feel great, especially now that I’m in an offense where I can catch the ball a little bit more,” Hill said. “Catching the ball from Mark Sanchez will be great. I’m going to make sure I get with him as soon as possible.”

http://www.accsports.com/wires/2012042812695/jets-trade-up-to-take-georgia-tech-wr-stephen-hill.php

So he only dropped all of those passes the last two years because our run-oriented offense left him too wide open to catch passes that hit his hands?

Besides, we all know that your footwork is really important to the Jet's coaching staff.

I wish Stephen well, but I hate it when people try to pretend that the offense is to blame when it developed his blocking skills and gave him an opportunity to make some highlight-reel plays that he wouldn't have seen in a pro-offense where he would be double teamed.

I like how they compare Hill to Johnson after saying he is 6'4"-215 lbs. Johnson is 6'5"-236 lbs. Those 20+ lbs. keep him from being bottled up by a corner at the line. If the Jets think they got Calvin, they have another thing coming.

I wish Stephen well, but I hate it when people try to pretend that the offense is to blame when it developed his blocking skills and gave him an opportunity to make some highlight-reel plays that he wouldn't have seen in a pro-offense where he would be double teamed.

Huh? So, if we threw the ball 35 times a game instead of 12, he wouldn't have had opportunities to make plays? Yeah...that makes a lot of sense. Don't disillusion yourself that a) Hill would have been double-covered every play in a pro-style offense or b) he might not have made the plays anyway.

Yes, he did drop some balls and some where he was wide open. But a dropped ball is a much bigger issue when you only throw the ball 10 - 15 times per game. When you drop one ball out of the six or seven that are thrown your way in a game in a more pass-oriented offense, it's amazing how much less people talk about how many passes you drop.

Quite. The Jets have a few other things coming.

Actually Stephen Hill will already know the plays in the Wildcat offense when Tebow takes over. Then they'll have 15 passes per game and his drops will suddenly be an issue.

Actually, they're already talking about running the ball more, so Hill could have found the ideal situation where his blocking becomes the focus.

[/B]

Huh? So, if we threw the ball 35 times a game instead of 12, he wouldn't have had opportunities to make plays? Yeah...that makes a lot of sense. Don't disillusion yourself that a) Hill would have been double-covered every play in a pro-style offense or b) he might not have made the plays anyway.

Yes, he did drop some balls and some where he was wide open. But a dropped ball is a much bigger issue when you only throw the ball 10 - 15 times per game. When you drop one ball out of the six or seven that are thrown your way in a game in a more pass-oriented offense, it's amazing how much less people talk about how many passes you drop.

I don't think he had the route running skills to do that. All I saw was long-strides. In the pros, he'll improve that.

As for the conventional offense, those opportunities wouldn't have been long-yardage plays. Most modern offenses that pass 35+ times a game, as you suggest, rely on very short passes. Skinny recievers who get jammed up and cant run short routes or consistently catch the ball on third down aren't the best. So yeah, the drops do matter there too.

Our offense gave him the opportunity to develop into a decent blocker, notwithstanding the four big plays that his downfield blocking penalties negated, and put up big numbers.

6-7 opportunities a game in a conventional offense would not have given him more yards---because he wouldn't be averaging over 20 yards a catch.

He might get the opportunity to catch more balls in a pro-style offense. That doesn't mean more yards or that the drops are going to be acceptable.

I don't think he had the route running skills to do that. All I saw was long-strides. In the pros, he'll improve that.

As for the conventional offense, those opportunities wouldn't have been long-yardage plays. Most modern offenses that pass 35+ times a game, as you suggest, rely on very short passes. Skinny recievers who get jammed up and cant run short routes or consistently catch the ball on third down aren't the best. So yeah, the drops do matter there too.

Our offense gave him the opportunity to develop into a decent blocker, notwithstanding the four big plays that his downfield blocking penalties negated, and put up big numbers.

6-7 opportunities a game in a conventional offense would not have given him more yards---because he wouldn't be averaging over 20 yards a catch.

He might get the opportunity to catch more balls in a pro-style offense. That doesn't mean more yards or that the drops are going to be acceptable.

All this rhetoric sound like sour grapes

Back