Srephen Hill = Calvin Johnson

I don't think he had the route running skills to do that. All I saw was long-strides. In the pros, he'll improve that.

As for the conventional offense, those opportunities wouldn't have been long-yardage plays. Most modern offenses that pass 35+ times a game, as you suggest, rely on very short passes. Skinny recievers who get jammed up and cant run short routes or consistently catch the ball on third down aren't the best. So yeah, the drops do matter there too.

Our offense gave him the opportunity to develop into a decent blocker, notwithstanding the four big plays that his downfield blocking penalties negated, and put up big numbers.

6-7 opportunities a game in a conventional offense would not have given him more yards---because he wouldn't be averaging over 20 yards a catch.

He might get the opportunity to catch more balls in a pro-style offense. That doesn't mean more yards or that the drops are going to be acceptable.

I had a reply to your earlier post, but got tied up in some work. Basically, I don't think that Hill saying he is looking forward to playing in a pass oriented offense is any knock against GT's offense. He's just a football player saying he is looking forward to having more opportunities at touching the ball.

I had a reply to your earlier post, but got tied up in some work. Basically, I don't think that Hill saying he is looking forward to playing in a pass oriented offense is any knock against GT's offense. He's just a football player saying he is looking forward to having more opportunities at touching the ball.

+1.

Colin Cowherd ‏ @ESPN_Colin
most intriguing draft pick--Stephen Hill--wr Jets. In two yrs we could be saying 'how did he slide to second round.' size,speed, but drops

Colin Cowherd ‏ @ESPN_Colin
most intriguing draft pick--Stephen Hill--wr Jets. In two yrs we could be saying 'how did he slide to second round.' size,speed, but drops

He's actually right on this. If Hill can learn to concentrate, he could be very productive. His size is over-estimated. He weighs 215, not 230. He made some incredible catches, but lost focus on many easy ones. He could be another Randy Moss or another Renaldo Nehemiah. Boom or bust. I just don't see him being a run of the mill wide receiver because he either gets it or is useless.

Haven't read all the Hill stuff but did y'all catch this gem:
“I feel great, especially now that I’m in an offense where I can catch the ball a little bit more,” Hill said.

Haven't read all the Hill stuff but did y'all catch this gem:
“I feel great, especially now that I’m in an offense where I can catch the ball a little bit more,” Hill said.

Yeah, he's gonna be scratching his head when Tebow runs out and starts up the read option and throwing grenades at Hill's back...

Back