State of College Football

This past weekend was one of the best TV Weekends in the History of the Sport, and that's with COFH being a Dud, the Bourbon Brawl being a dud, and Clemson v south carolina not moving the needle.

Imagine if more ACC Teams didn't have down years, those Rivalry Weekend Games would've meant a lot more

Agreed. I'm not saying CFB is necessarily better now than it was X years ago, or that I'm not worried about the effects NIL or the portal will have, but Saturday was one of the best days of CFB I've ever seen. Basically non-stop great games with major consequences from 12pm through midnight.

From The Game to the Iron Bowl to Bedlam with a bunch of less-meaningful-yet-still-close games along the way, it was awesome.

Last edited:
I totally disagree. I think college football is fine. The under the table stuff is finally coming into the open via NIL. That’s a positive. The days of wondering about the Camaro in the driveway are over. The NCAA is losing power so the days of them stripping GT of a title while ignoring the real cheaters are over. That’s a positive. The portal is fine too. Mid level programs like GT benefit way more from the portal than we don’t. Sure, we lost Gibbs. But we’ve gained more 4 stars from the big boys than we can recruit on our own. As the playoffs expand you’ll see the talent start to spread out. Those of you who are against playoff expansion are the reason every stud wants to go to a handful of teams. Because those are the only teams who get a shot at a Natty. Once the Playoffs expand to 12 and then into the 20’s the players will have many more options to get to the playoffs than just the 5-6 teams they have now.

Right now, our fan base is depressed and our future looks bleak. But if you take the long view, Collins will be gone within 24 months (hopefully sooner). Then the new guy should have a functioning squad within a year or two after that. By then the playoff will be expanded to 12. Within another decade it will be expanded into the 20’s so a team like GT who gets to 9-10 wins once a decade will have a chance. That’s all I want is a chance. Use Wake as an example. They are 10-2 with no shot at a 4 team playoff. Expand it and they probably get in and that fanbase and recruits get energized big time. College football is far from dying. And Riley going to USC is huge to keep the west coast in the sport. He’ll have them back quickly which is good for everyone.

College football is controlled by the factories and no surprise they are benefitting the most from the recent rule changes. There are about 10-12 factories and most are in the SEC. Just for definition, I'd consider a factory as any school with lots of money and the ability to put athletes into programs with zero to little academic requirements. Lots of players don't even have to take courses on campus, they can do them online and hang out at the athletic building all day.

Two recent rules are going to forever distance the factories from the rest
  • NIL: Dirty money has always been a thing in recruiting/retaining players. Not only is it legal now but there is still no transparency. How much are the top players making? What's the team total? How many guys on the team are getting paid? What is the average NIL income for a player? No one knows because its all still shady. No need to try hide anything from the NCAA anymore. This is a huge advantage for the factories.
  • Transfer portal/no sitting out: As we are seeing at GT this is a killer for players leaving a bad program but it also allows the factories to shore up some needs. Need a few Oline guys to plug some gaps from injury/draft/recruiting miss? Just put some feelers out there with an NIL offer and have them enter the portal! Having good players on bad teams go to the greener pastures of the factories is terrible for any hope of parity.
The money situation is bad too. LSU just paid their old coach $17 million to go away and spent $100+ million on the new one. GT is stuck with Collins because it will be $5 million cheaper to let him go next year. Not to mention the chasm in payroll for coordinators, asst coaches, analysts, etc... between the factories and the rest.

If you think its going fine or going to get better for the non-factory schools, I'd like a round of what you're drinking.

College football is controlled by the factories and no surprise they are benefitting the most from the recent rule changes. There are about 10-12 factories and most are in the SEC. Just for definition, I'd consider a factory as any school with lots of money and the ability to put athletes into programs with zero to little academic requirements. Lots of players don't even have to take courses on campus, they can do them online and hang out at the athletic building all day.

Two recent rules are going to forever distance the factories from the rest
  • NIL: Dirty money has always been a thing in recruiting/retaining players. Not only is it legal now but there is still no transparency. How much are the top players making? What's the team total? How many guys on the team are getting paid? What is the average NIL income for a player? No one knows because its all still shady. No need to try hide anything from the NCAA anymore. This is a huge advantage for the factories.
  • Transfer portal/no sitting out: As we are seeing at GT this is a killer for players leaving a bad program but it also allows the factories to shore up some needs. Need a few Oline guys to plug some gaps from injury/draft/recruiting miss? Just put some feelers out there with an NIL offer and have them enter the portal! Having good players on bad teams go to the greener pastures of the factories is terrible for any hope of parity.
The money situation is bad too. LSU just paid their old coach $17 million to go away and spent $100+ million on the new one. GT is stuck with Collins because it will be $5 million cheaper to let him go next year. Not to mention the chasm in payroll for coordinators, asst coaches, analysts, etc... between the factories and the rest.

If you think its going fine or going to get better for the non-factory schools, I'd like a round of what you're drinking.
Sorry, but obviously I disagree. The factories were already cheating. NIL helps those who didn’t want to cheat. Sure, the factories can do it legally now but they were already doing it. As for the portal you are wrong. Name me any substantial stud who a factory picked up thru the portal? I can think of 1 - Justin Fields. I’d argue that Gibbs is the best player to use the portal this year. The 5 star tight end who portaled to UGA hasn’t seen the field. Its a myth that factories are taking the best players from lower teams. It’s not happening. Gibbs is leaving because we suck not because a factory offered him money. Haselwood is leaving a factory to go to a lower team with his coach. If anything, the portal is taking depth from the factories because everyone wants to start. Fields left a factory to go to another factory. It’s a total myth that players are leaving lower teams for factories.

With the Player Portal in full effect, now having the NIL in play, and constant coaching carousel, the sport is not very armature anymore. This whole notion of being a student is a complete joke and just needs to stop being a requirement at this point.
I agree. But I don’t know how it would work. Personally I would not follow pro football associated with the university. I follow GT students playing sports for GT.

Sorry, but obviously I disagree. The factories were already cheating. NIL helps those who didn’t want to cheat. Sure, the factories can do it legally now but they were already doing it. As for the portal you are wrong. Name me any substantial stud who a factory picked up thru the portal? I can think of 1 - Justin Fields. I’d argue that Gibbs is the best player to use the portal this year. The 5 star tight end who portaled to UGA hasn’t seen the field. Its a myth that factories are taking the best players from lower teams. It’s not happening. Gibbs is leaving because we suck not because a factory offered him money. Haselwood is leaving a factory to go to a lower team with his coach. If anything, the portal is taking depth from the factories because everyone wants to start. Fields left a factory to go to another factory. It’s a total myth that players are leaving lower teams for factories.
It's just started. Give it time.

Personally, I enjoy watching good, hard nosed well played CFB, no matter what the Conference is

Remember we used to be a Part of the SEC and then we blew that, can't blame the natural evolution of the Game for our self inflicted mistakes.

I'm curious, why complain about bigger Stadiums, bigger, faster, better players, better facilities, better coaching

The Game is better than it has ever been, and nipping at the heels of the most popular Sport in America, The NFL.

I watch the SEC frequently, just to see what the competition looks like and to see where "the bar" has been reset, you should try it, you would probably enjoy it.
You could not be anymore wrong. The game is not better than it has ever been. Only the SEC is better than it ever has been. If you think they have simply raised a bar that everyone else just has to rise up and meet, youve missed the whole reason CFB is broken in the first place. If it were as easy as just getting SEC recruits then it would have been done already. I'm glad you are enjoying the SEC because that's all youre going to see featured on TV eventually. CFB has always been a regional sport and blue chips were distributed to a much wider breadth of conferences than the SEC plus a couple other schools like it is now. This year 15 of 16 SEC schools (counting UT and OU) will have top 25 recruiting classes. Think about that for a minute and how historically ridiculous this is.

If you enjoy watching the SEC go 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2 in bowls then youre in a good place. If you will love half of the 12-team playoff coming from the SEC, with an all SEC final four, then you're happy. I'm here to tell you though most of non-SEC school fans hate this.

Agree 100% We only have ourselves to blame for the problems we have now. If Dodd hadn't been such a dumbass in 1964, we would still be in the SEC reaping the financial windfall every year with SEC revenue money and our facilities would be top notch.
Not just that , but every home Game would be a sellout due to all the SEC Alums that now live in Metro ATL

You could not be anymore wrong. The game is not better than it has ever been. Only the SEC is better than it ever has been. If you think they have simply raised a bar that everyone else just has to rise up and meet, youve missed the whole reason CFB is broken in the first place. If it were as easy as just getting SEC recruits then it would have been done already. I'm glad you are enjoying the SEC because that's all youre going to see featured on TV eventually. CFB has always been a regional sport and blue chips were distributed to a much wider breadth of conferences than the SEC plus a couple other schools like it is now. This year 15 of 16 SEC schools (counting UT and OU) will have top 25 recruiting classes. Think about that for a minute and how historically ridiculous this is.

If you enjoy watching the SEC go 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2 in bowls then youre in a good place. If you will love half of the 12-team playoff coming from the SEC, with an all SEC final four, then you're happy. I'm here to tell you though most of non-SEC school fans hate this.
Those 15 of 16 SEC Colleges with Top Recruiting Classes Deserve those Recruiting Classes because they are doing the things that are necessary to attract those Recruits, while also improving Academics for all students on Campus.

When I went to GT 30 plus years ago , USN & WR Ranked GT somewhere in the mid 30s while uga was ranked in the high 90s , fast forward to 2021 GT is still ranked in the Mid 30s , while uga in now ranked in the high 40s to low 50s

Imagine that, while growing their FB Program exponentially, uga has found a way for their university (sic) to now be considered as a Top50 National University by the original outfit that started Ranking Colleges - US News & World Report, the university of florida has also done something similar, Bama has also raised their Academic Profile while having improved Athletics, though not as much as uga has.

You're mad because all those other Colleges that you poked fun at found a way to do what GT hasn't done, they didn't "talk a good game" like us, they made intelligent plans and worked hard at their intelligent plans and what we have in 2021 is the culmination of all that hard work.

After all the major errors over the last 60 by GT's own internal leadership, instead of you patting those SEC schools on the back for out-working GT and out-smarting GT, instead you want the NCAA to step in and "re-rig The Game" to minimize our past errors and poorly calculated missteps.

Anyone that complains about the state of CFB after all the internal errors by our own Internal Leaders over the last 60 years is simply displaying the characteristics of a "sore loser".

The SEC and the Fans that follow good CFB no matter where it is have earned the great game we saw this past weekend, OSU vs Michigan and Okie State vs OU weren't SEC Games and the product was just as good or better than any SEC Game I saw this past season.

Just an FYI, ND was projected to have a Top5 Recruiting Class going into last Weekend's Game before the Coaching Carousel started, amazing what hard work will do.

Maybe GT and all of our fans like you should stop whining and start working to "close the gap" and overcome whatever barriers that you perceive are in the way of GT FB.

The only thing that should be done now is have the NCAA set a "League Calendar" like the NFL does, that way when Coaches change Jobs it won't interrupt an active season of competition, that and pay the players larger stipends to create a more fair distribution of the money generated, those Coaches with Contracts upwards of $75 million don't generate the entertainment on the field by themselves, they do it in conjunction with 85 guys on scholarship, fairly distributing the Revenues is the next step of Modern College Athletics.

At this point, job #1 for GT Fans like you is stop being a whiner.

Some things I cannot let slide, and that passage above is one of them.

CFB is light years different Academically than is was back in the 50s thru the 80s.

Graduation Rates are at an all time High mainly because there is so much money in the Sport.

So many Players are worried about going to the NFL and the Money in the Sport, that they graduate HS "early" and enroll in January and have at least 2 semesters of College Credits before they ever see the Field in a Game.

There is so much money in the Sport, that CFB Players work out year round to prep for the NFL and no longer work summer Jobs, those year round workouts are to prep for putting up Stats in College to showcase themselves for the NFL, while doing this they attend Summer School and pick up extra credits towards Graduation.

There's so much money in the game due to Coaching opportunities that gives players another incentive to graduate and stay on track academically, so they can Coach in HS or have Grad Asst opportunities in College

There's also so much money in the Game due to TV-Radio-Podcast-Social Media-YouTube, that players learn better communication skills and or graduate in Communications so they can have ancillary opportunities associated with CFB.

Back when msg boards were on dial up, every College Fanbase would sweat bullets worrying about 6-10 guys each summer and whether or not they would pass enough classes in summer school to stay eligible, this hasn't happened in a decade at GT and has disappeared around the FBS , except for maybe 1 guy here or there.

I can't remember the last time that anyone complained about anyone being "academically ineligible" at GT, so are we a factory now?

Another thing has also taken place at the HS Level, back when I was in HS, the best HS FB Players and the best Teams came from very poor rural school systems, or from very poor inner city schools.

Now the best HS FB Programs come from HSs in middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods, and Private Schools -- those HSs (the public ones) now "illegally recruit" Players from outside their attendance zones to play there, what that does is give modern day CFB Recruits a better education than the typical CFB Recruit from the late 70s or early 80s.

IMHO too many of our Fans go straight to the Academics Issues without paying closer attention to subtle trends and subtle changes in the Sport.

Blaming successful FB Programs for academic shenanigans isn't a good look, it wouldn't be as bad if we played sound smart FB in Games, but it is a bad look given the huge numbers of mental mistakes that we make every week.

When the other Guy does something well we have to learn to pat them on the back and say, " next time we'll beat you and you'll be patting us on the back" , don't go sour grapes and start with the academics accusations, that's a bad look for GT.

Some things I cannot let slide, and that passage above is one of them.

CFB is light years different Academically than is was back in the 50s thru the 80s.

Graduation Rates are at an all time High mainly because there is so much money in the Sport.

So many Players are worried about going to the NFL and the Money in the Sport, that they graduate HS "early" and enroll in January and have at least 2 semesters of College Credits before they ever see the Field in a Game.

There is so much money in the Sport, that CFB Players work out year round to prep for the NFL and no longer work summer Jobs, those year round workouts are to prep for putting up Stats in College to showcase themselves for the NFL, while doing this they attend Summer School and pick up extra credits towards Graduation.

There's so much money in the game due to Coaching opportunities that gives players another incentive to graduate and stay on track academically, so they can Coach in HS or have Grad Asst opportunities in College

There's also so much money in the Game due to TV-Radio-Podcast-Social Media-YouTube, that players learn better communication skills and or graduate in Communications so they can have ancillary opportunities associated with CFB.

Back when msg boards were on dial up, every College Fanbase would sweat bullets worrying about 6-10 guys each summer and whether or not they would pass enough classes in summer school to stay eligible, this hasn't happened in a decade at GT and has disappeared around the FBS , except for maybe 1 guy here or there.

I can't remember the last time that anyone complained about anyone being "academically ineligible" at GT, so are we a factory now?

Another thing has also taken place at the HS Level, back when I was in HS, the best HS FB Players and the best Teams came from very poor rural school systems, or from very poor inner city schools.

Now the best HS FB Programs come from HSs in middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods, and Private Schools -- those HSs (the public ones) now "illegally recruit" Players from outside their attendance zones to play there, what that does is give modern day CFB Recruits a better education than the typical CFB Recruit from the late 70s or early 80s.

IMHO too many of our Fans go straight to the Academics Issues without paying closer attention to subtle trends and subtle changes in the Sport.

Blaming successful FB Programs for academic shenanigans isn't a good look, it wouldn't be as bad if we played sound smart FB in Games, but it is a bad look given the huge numbers of mental mistakes that we make every week.

When the other Guy does something well we have to learn to pat them on the back and say, " next time we'll beat you and you'll be patting us on the back" , don't go sour grapes and start with the academics accusations, that's a bad look for GT.
I’ve been pointing this out a long time. The ACC has no one to blame but themselves. They let the Tobacco Road mafia get fat and happy with Coach K, Dean, and Roy while the other conferences, particularly the SEC in our geographic domain, took football over with TV deals and smart business moves. And GT definitely made terrible decisions over the years and then allowed the ACC office run roughshod over us with no push back. Has anyone ever seen the ACC office stand up for a school? Meanwhile, the SEC just told the whole country to shove it last year and led us to a football season. That’s leadership for your conference. We should be begging the Big 10 to take us if the SEC won’t.

We would be Vanderbilt.
You should apologize for having a loser's mentality!

We would have more money and more credibility among Recruits had we stayed in the SEC all this time, what ND looks like now, that's what we'd look like had we stayed in the SEC, PLUS the added bonus is that a certain percentage of in State Recruits would play in the SEC while attending classes in the ATL at GT, weakening our hated Rivals by default.

Removing us from the SEC was such a bad move someone should commission "a study" to see if we should change the name of the Stadium back to just Grant Field

Agree 100% We only have ourselves to blame for the problems we have now. If Dodd hadn't been such a dumbass in 1964, we would still be in the SEC reaping the financial windfall every year with SEC revenue money and our facilities would be top notch.
And, we would have had many many more 3 win seasons. How would that help things? No TIAR and no Orange Bowls, but we would have that sec patch on our jerseys, so there is that.

There’s no way whatsoever that GT can compete in today’s college football landscape.
The coaches are getting paid crazy money, homes, jets, you name it. The steady decline is now hitting home. We’re broke period.
IIWII

Back