Still offsides

lol

Overreact much?

It was an awful no call, but if they suspended refs without pay for one awful call, they wouldn't have any refs left.

Agreed, but they should have to be punched in the face and have their necks twisted by that Michigan State player.

Could it have been challenged if we still had a challenge? Any rules gurus around?

(Just noticed someone else asked the same question.)

It was worse than shown in that screenshot. He was a full yard off-sides.

The only way he could have been more offsides is if he lined up in Tech's backfield next to the b-back.

GTFan covered the review. As for the challange, we used it earlier in the game.

Could it have been challenged if we still had a challenge? Any rules gurus around?

(Just noticed someone else asked the same question.)

No. Something like that isn't reviewable. And challenges in CFB are worthless anyway, because they already review every play anyway and aren't shy about buzzing down to stop play for closer review.

No. Something like that isn't reviewable. And challenges in CFB are worthless anyway, because they already review every play anyway and aren't shy about buzzing down to stop play for closer review.

I think it should be reviewable--why not?

It was worse than shown in that screenshot. He was a full yard off-sides.

The only way he could have been more offsides is if he lined up in Tech's backfield next to the b-back.

I was trying to get the shot of how bad he was off before the ball even moved.

I don't know about suspending them, but when the line judges miss a call THAT bad, there should be some sort of fine/punishment dolled out - there is no excuse for missing a call like that. The situation really doesn't matter, that bad of a no-call is inexcusable and should not be tolerated. The zebras are on the field for ONE reason, and that's to enforce these rules. Even the clemson fans sitting around us were flabbergasted that not a single ref threw a flag on that. Just pathetic.

gtKevin posted this on the hive:

clemsonoffsides.jpg

There may be others, but the only penalties that I know are reviewable are illegal forward pass, too many men on field, and pass interference (to see if the ball was tipped).

The refs are paid per game, so suspending them is the same as not paying them. The linesmen should both be punished and have to apologize publicly for being inept. With all the other mistakes they made, the whole crew could use some time reviewing their mess.

You can't review penalties in college I dont' believe, except maybe whether the QB is over the line on a pass.

It's my understanding that the review process is for yes or no answers (i.e. someone is in bounds or out of bounds), not a judgement call such as pass interference, etc.

Under that defition, I would think being offsides would be considered a yes or no answer and therefore should be reviewable. Offsides isn't really a judgement call.

Back