Still think Suggs is a good QB?

AJ Suggs is an average quarterback in the Rick Strom/Darrel Gast mode. He will be good for 5-7 win a year, but will never beat UGA, FSU, Clemson, MD, and Auburn

belly,
To say that the frustrations of today with Suggs in a matter of a lack of instant gratification is, IMHO, wrong. Many, myself included, have quietly tolerated sub-par performances in the interest of "waiting for gratification." I use the word "toleration" loosely because there is nothing we can do to directly affect the decisions of CCG and staff.

An attitude of instant gratification implies an attitude of one who is complacent when erratically winning games. It implies emotional ups and downs.

What I want is consistancy. I want consistant play and coaching. I want for GT to be a top team year in and year out. I know there will be letdowns and "bad" games and even bad coaching decisions. However, there is a confidence that those moments are simply inevitable "errors"--mental or physical--and that the next play, series, or game--the next opportunity--the player, coach, or team will deliver. That is the attitued of winners.

I do not question any coaches' or players' heart. I sincerely believe that each wants to win. But I have to question, particularly after a game we should have won, abilities.

I really think anyone who is an seeker of instant gratification is feeling o.k, after this game. I would also be that there are many who, like me, have been basically silent and supportive (for lack of a better word) of Suggs, Gailey and staff until today.

I still love the Jackets, will yell and root and pull for them every down. I'm not convinced that CCG is the wrong man for the job. But I am in the camp of those who are hurt to see GT below standard.

amen wg!!

Yellowjacket, I disagree. Our receivers ARE getting open but AJ just doesn't seem to be quick enough to get them the ball. It's like he's waiting for them to finish their route so he can THEN throw the ball to where he thinks they should be. Receivers aren't gonna stay open forever. It's halftime of the Ugag game and I've been watching Eli. Damn he's got some talent!

Another terrible game from A.J. 1 TD, 3 picks, way too many off-target passes. Did a good job running the option, and there were a couple of throws that should have been caught, including one for a TD that was negated by a blown interference call. But the bottom line is that he was misfiring most of the night, especially on longer throws, and in key situations.

Well, I stated last week I would not comment on last week's game until after the FSU game. I further stated I might not comment if we beat FSU.

I stayed true to my promise, so now I am free to state my opinions. Since I never criticize an athlete, but always aim my remarks at the coaches, I will try to do the same, and at the same time, give my assessment of the present problem.

It is a coach's fault if he has the wrong players in the game. All athletes want to start and play as much as they can, so I cannot fault a player for his performance. However, I am not blind, and, at my age, still have pretty good eyesight.

It has been obvious to me ever since the Clemson game, that Suggs reacts too slowly. His hand-eye (muscle) coordination does not seem to be acute. He appears to make the reads on his receivers too slowly. He constantly over-throws his receivers, and delivers the ball too late many times. I can sum it up in one sentence, he appears to be a little slow in his actions.

Maybe, he is the best we have and that is the reason he is playing. From the little playing time (mostly the first two games and a couple of spot plays in other games), Bilbo appeared to be much quicker in his decisions, more accurate, have a quicker release on the pass, and a sharper pass to the receivers.

I think it is time for the coaches to give Bilbo or Camp a chance to play a whole game and see what they can do. Again, in order to assess the problem, there is no other way to do so than to name the quarterback, since I think that is the biggest problem at this time.

And, again, the assessment is not intended to criticize the athlete, but to criticize the coach for not giving other QBs a shot at the job when that position appears to be a major problem at this time.

I started to make this statement last week, but decided to hold off, even though we won. The problems existed last week as well, but a few plays overcame the deficit, and we won the game. I did not want to dampen any enthusiasm last week with the FSU game coming up.

If the coach does not make a change, we will struggle against Duke, lose the Georgia game, and most likely the bowl game.

A faster reacting QB will increase the speed of all the running plays and the passes. The receivers can turn it on and know the QB will react accordingly. The slow motion will go by the wayside, and the speed of all plays will increase.

In some degree it might improve the reaction time of our defensive backs, if the reaction speed of the offense is quicker in practice.

I have admiration for any athlete participating in the sports, but could not think of another way to describe my observations without pointing out the position. It is ultimately the coach who is responsible for having the right athletes in the game at the right time.

Since this season is a wash for all practical purposes, how could it hurt to get Bilbo and Camp into the games. If Suggs were to get hurt, Bilbo or Camp would have to come in raw, so it could only help the team to play them some in these latter games.

It is not fair to the team to neglect any talent that might, overall, enhance the chances of the team. The team deserves the best chance afforded them for winning. We cannot deny the team a better chance for winning at the expense of a coach's determination to possibly be hardheaded on one aspect of the team.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Fellows, we played hard. We showed some creative offensive thinking. I wish we had run Clinkscale more. We have an average 1-A QB: he makes some good plays, and some bad ones. It's a game. Some you win, some you lose. This one we came within a TD of winning against a team with terrific athletes in a long established program which has lost, what, three conference games ever. I hate losing as much as any of you, but today was no disgrace, just a loss. If after a game we can say we played hard and never backed up, that ought to be plenty gratifying. It isn't a time to jump on a player who played a heck of a game one week ago, and who has the burden of responsibility in this offense.

TechsaMillion, I have always appreciated your posts, too. Don't get your dauber down too far on this one disappointing game.

Nicely worded post. I too think it is time to sit Suggs and let Bilbo play a whole game. Suggs is adequate but I doubt he has the tools to carry a team himself. Let's see if Bilbo can.

Respectfully, belly, in your opinion was everything in place to give us the best possible chance to win?

bellyseried, thank you for the kind words. In my
hasty yelling I no doubt have lost proper perspective. I am in such a qauandry that I don't have time to look up what it means to "let your dauber down". That's just like you, trim somone and make them think you were nice to them.HA, Ha,.I really like you even though you are a Dem. (teasing)

Ahsoisee,

Very astute post. It is the little things like speed of Qb in reads and delivery that make all the difference. Joe Hamilton did not have the throwing ability of Suggs but he was mobile and he definetley picked up reads alot quicker. Joe would throw it before the receiver even looked.

Coaching can only bring us to the chance to win. We have had that in three of the four losses. Those three were lost by poor reads and poor delivery. Experience alone can say whether he can change in time. I would feel lots different if he were a feshman with three more years to get these out of his system while learning.

For those who think so much of the previous staff, they are the ones who played Hammy every down of every game, without giving Godsey or anyone else a chance to gain experience. This staff must learn from that and not repeat the same. Put Bilbo in the game. He will have poor reads. He will fail occasionally to deliver. But the difference is that he has three years to get it right.

Let's see now, FSU needed to switch to their backup QB and boy isn't he a bll of fire. Take away 2 passes today and he had nothing. Zip. I have to believe Rix would have done a better job for them and I believe our coaches know that musical QBs is not the answer. The guy on the bench always looks better than the starter until he has to face the game day situation.

The guy on the bench always looks better than the starter until he has to face the game day situation.....Dave

Absolutely correct Dave with one exception: The starter looks just fine when he wins.

Originally posted by spellingbee:
Respectfully, belly, in your opinion was everything in place to give us the best possible chance to win?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think so, from the rather limited perspective of the fan.

I was calling for more of DBo earlier in the season, and I understand where AhSo is coming from, but there must be some reason the coaches aren't playing him, and I'll defer to their knowledge of the team. Like I said, I would have liked to see more of Clinkscale, but we could have won the game on this game plan. The first INT killed a really good drive, and was a 10 to 14 point swing. You can't do that against FSU and expect to win, but that's an error that every QB who ever played has made. Manning made the same ridiculous-looking mistake tonight at UGAg. Even with that egregious flub we were still in it at the end. And the D was just great.

Am I answering your question, spellingbee?

TechsA Million, getting your "dauber down" refers to all creatures, such as Yellow Jackets, which have bodies like dirtdaubers. You know, with stingers in their back parts. People used to say that all the time to mean something like, "Keep your pecker up! Don't get discouraged!" I'm almost as old as Big Buck, you know, so still say that stuff.

Good observation, Thomsom. Probably true of most fickle fans. Personally, I have always loved him (but not as a QB and certainly I do not now hate him. I think we really ought to get over this notion that just because we thing a player did not perform well that we hate him. It is much more complicated than that. It involves week long practice, coaches plans and decions, game day situations, and much more. You are correct: we certainly are a fickle bunch. But some of us feel the same today as we did in september. We love him, but feel he is not up to the job; plus, we want to see if anybody else is.

belly, Oh, you mean like a dirt dauber. I like to think that we should ever be learning. Thanks for the word. But, yes, my p.....r, is hanging mighty low tonight. Shoot, I hated to lose tha game to an inferior team. Those pompous a..es are so reprehensible. They so need a shot of truth serum in their backside. Maybe then they will know that they got where they are by CHEATING. Yes, I said it. And I d..mn well mean it.

Seems that makes Suggs 0 for 3 in fourth quarter comebacks. Joe and Goose seemed to bring us back 5 times a year, this guy isnt cutting it.

Originally posted by yellowjacket:
Suggs isn't being helped by the routes the receivers run...he is forced to throw into coverage because they cannot get open...I don't think Suggs is more than barely adequate but he isn't getting a lot of help. we need to CAN the receivers coach.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">from what i saw the recievers ran the correct routes but the QB didn't put the ball in the right place (will glover ran his route right for the first down but had to come back because the ball was under thrown!WE NEED TO CAN YOUR QUOTE!!

suggs is not 0 for 3 in comebacks.
suggs is 1 and 4 .. everyone forgot the NC State game already? it was played slightly over a week ago.

we were trailing 10-9 when the 4th quarter began. we trailed 17-9 after they scored early.

get SOME perspective.

here's my point .. sometimes he looks good .. sometimes he looks decent .. sometimes he looks bad .. will the real AJ please stand up, please stand up, please stand up

Back