Stingtalk vs. "the hive"

Mark

Varsity Lurker
Is it me, or is this site FAR superior to the hive????

Get the word out, folks. Stingtalk is so much more user-friendly, it's not even funny!

FHstinger concurs.

There's something curious about the board software over there. The cascading thread listings within a thread don't work properly and replies within a thread sometimes end up in the wrong place in the hierarchy.

I used to like cascading thread discussion boards because I'm used to Usenet newsgroups, but I realized that I like cascading threads only when they're set up in a separate pane of a three pane window (as in a news client). Now I think threaded discussion boards require too much clicking.

And yes, I realize I just spoke over the heads of 98% of this forum.
tongue.gif

Hmmmm....new StingTalker, new "Hive sucks" post. Yeah, I guess this board is better if you like talking about how much the Hive (or anything else for that matter) sucks.

Stingtalk as a community could use a sense of humor - the Hive (even though it's less humorous now than 6 yrs ago when I started lurking) is still light years ahead of this board in that category.

If you mean the admins, that would be BeeStorm and gtfan.

I've been on StinGTalk for exactly one year now, and love it. My first post was a response to someone's question about their child's loyalty to mom's college or dad's (Auburn vs Tech). Something silly like that got me involved, and I'm now addicted.
My greatest claims to fame since joining have been that I am the creator of the term "FOCer", and being ylojk8's nemesis.
mad.gif

BOO

I think you've all hit on the major differences.

History: There
Freshness: Here

Strictness: There
Freedom: Here

Humor: There
No humor: Here (But give it time)

Irritable Format: There
Easy Registration: Here

The sites are different. I like and post on both. I don't understand some of the criticism leveled at the Hive over here though, I just don't see it. It is slower, and it is a little more difficult to navigate. There is now a pay site as well, but you don't miss much by not having access.

But the consensus here that no differing opinions are heard over there is bogus. There is just as much contentiousness on the Hive as here, the mods there just try to control the vitriol more than they do here. They really don't like personal attacks and still don't take it kindly if you criticize athletes. RR is still around, but he doesn't post as often.

Of course, I guess the bottom line is that if you don't like the Hive, don't go there.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
[QB]
But the consensus here that no differing opinions are heard over there is bogus. There is just as much contentiousness on the Hive as here, the mods there just try to control the vitriol more than they do here.
QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I would disagree with you on this NC, and have a very good example.. The topic I started, "A Word for chan"... Posted it here and on the hive... After several of the usual insults & threats were tossed my way on the hive Cracker immediately locked it, issued a "warning" and said it was bait.. What is interesting is.. Cracker himself posted on the topic a couple times this morning here on the stingtalk board... Ironic, huh?

I was in this bar last night when a guy walked in ... I was told it was a redneck bar but agreed to go anyway.

This guy turns and asks the bartender if he can tell a redneck joke.

The Bartender then says "well sir if you take a look to your right youll see 3 linemen from the University of Georgia they all weigh 350 lbs and are as mean as can be, then if you take a look to your left youll see 3 Linebackers from the same school. They're quick with their fist and meaner than the 3 linemen" so are you sure you want to still tell a redneck joke in this here bar?

The guy turns and looks at the 3 guys to his left and then turns and sees the 3 guys to his right then says to the bartender

"Hell no Not if I have to explain it six times"

As time goes on the hive is learning an expensive lesson in marketing & economics 101.. With the insertion of the new "marketing banners" at the top of the page there will be more pressure from the advertisers to increase traffic.. I see where Master B has a push-pinned thread at the top hawking the Insiders services.. Insiders is obviously starting to impose their will... Let's face it kids, we're in the middle of very challenging economic times... Where in the past the hive mods have rushed in to pull any thread that is deemed provocative, that practice will be evaporating very soon... Provocative posts draw huge number of hits = more $$$.. The other reason they will change is that StingTalk is now being quoted in the media more & more as the legitimate board of record for GT Fans.. Why would media go to the hive for real thoughts of Tech fans when it is overtly censored?

I concur. This board is less judgmental. One doesn't have the feeling that someone is looking over their shoulder every time he/she posts.

Also, the old, old format where we could see every post on one screen was more conducive to humor and running threads. There was more interaction. I liked it.

BeeBad, I did see your post on the Hive. And my view is that is wasn't the topic you chose to post on, but the language you used. I'm not defending anything they decided on, but they are much more concerned about the tone of discussion on the Hive. There still seems to be more traffic there, but you may be right in the marketing lesson they may eventually learn. In the meantime, if you don't like the Hive stay away. I'm sure it won't bother anybody.

I think StingTalk has more hardcore football fans. Coach O'Leary must have offended alot of the braintrust on the Hive. They are way too PC for my taste.

GATA JACKETS!!!

I use Webtv and, therefore, can no longer post on the Hive. I really liked being free of Chan bashing on the Hive. I never bash our players and don't like to see posts that could be used against us in recruiting. Now, I will bash our AD because he has gone public with statements that hurt his cause more than anything I could say. I also find the Hive to be slower than any web site that I have used and I go on most ACC school sites. The cascading responses just make a slow response system ten times slower. I wish they would redo their systems to be like other boards.

Back