Summers gone

Fair enough.

We tried both shotgun and pistol with at least 2 different QB's. Both were a miserable failure. We're really good at running the option because we practice it so much, so I'm guessing the reason we are not good at passing is because we don't practice it a lot.

We are currently trying no-huddle, so why are you not giving him credit for that?

I've not seen us run the no-huddle. I will take your word for it and admit that I was wrong to question why we aren't using it when we are. Looks like CPJ agrees with me!

I'm just quick to point out how foolish it is when people fixate on our OFFENSE as a point of criticism. Our offense is ridiculously good for the talent we have. The same been true for basically every year of PJ's career. He's really good at coaching offense.

Now if you want to criticize his ability to coach defense, hire a good DC, or recruit top shelf talent, I'm listening. We've been consistently mediocre in those categories and it has kept us from being an elite program.

Fair enough, John.

I agree that our D has been poor at times but there is a lot in the D stats that belie its efforts. Kickoff return TD vs Puke is not the fault of the D, nor are the offensive TOs on our side of the field that make life easier for opposing offenses. Several times this year (namely the Puke and UVA), the D generated possessions late that the O sputtered on. Yet here and on the Hive, alleged "GT fans" just heap mounds of criticism onto the D and completely ignore the shortcomings that the O has foisted upon them. I don't understand why it's OK to criticize our Defensive kids but the O must remain untouchable. I hope you see my point here, as I do not intend to offend.

I agree that the recruiting has been mediocre to date, though hopefully this past class will live up to its billing. And he's shown a willingness to change his outlook towards ST so we both know the guy has the capacity to make adjustments.

We should win tonight. VT is terrible. It'd be nice to send Beamer out of ATL with a Loss.

I know he's not 2-7.

He's 2 OF 7. As in, "We've beaten the mutts 2 of the 7 times we've played them with CPJ as HC."

Here's the thing - I'm not the AD so it's not my job to find replacement coaches....nor do I think it's worth discussing right now due to how fiscally stupid it'd be to get rid of CPJ now. We don't need to repeat the mistakes that killed our basketball program.

I'd just like to see the guy - an alleged Offensive Genius - make some changes to accommodate the team he has rather than the team he wishes he had. Why no shotgun for JT? Why no 2-min, no-huddle offense? Imagine the mind havoc he could wreak on DCs if he ran a hurry up?

For some reason, that has generated heaps of derision in this thread. The mere suggestion I initially made on page 6 - that the loss of Summers won't have an impact on this offense - hasn't actually been debated. Instead, just lots of playground name-calling and circle-jerking.

And for those who claim that "He deserves criticism for some things"...they're öööö quick to rush to his aid when anyone criticizes him for anything. It's comically hypocritical.

GT is not a Coaching Carousel school - that's a total myth. GOL was here almost a decade, Gailey was given too much time IMO, and Johnson's been here almost a decade too.
George O'Leary was an eyelash away from being at Georgia Tech for 20 years or more. He would have not left for anywhere other than Notre Dame. They called, he left. Had any other program expressed interest, I believe he would have stayed at Tech. Gailey was given way too much time. Some of that was owing to us having a real wimp at AD, the wimp that hired him. Gailey was an unemployed, pro has been that took the Tech job to have something to do until another pro opportunity came along.

I've not seen us run the no-huddle. I will take your word for it and admit that I was wrong to question why we aren't using it when we are. Looks like CPJ agrees with me!

We've gone no huddle some so that CPJ has enough time to send in audibles, since our QB and OL were apparently blowing it. We still don't go a whole lot faster, because that's just not how our offense works.

Fair enough, John.

I agree that our D has been poor at times but there is a lot in the D stats that belie its efforts. Kickoff return TD vs Puke is not the fault of the D, nor are the offensive TOs on our side of the field that make life easier for opposing offenses. Several times this year (namely the Puke and UVA), the D generated possessions late that the O sputtered on. Yet here and on the Hive, alleged "GT fans" just heap mounds of criticism onto the D and completely ignore the shortcomings that the O has foisted upon them. I don't understand why it's OK to criticize our Defensive kids but the O must remain untouchable. I hope you see my point here, as I do not intend to offend.
It's not that our offense is untouchable, it's just that we realize that this year is an outlier based on PJ's time at GT as well as his whole career. We also realize that our offensive roster is absolutely decimated with injuries this year. The only position that really has no excuse for poor performance is the OL, which is why you see people calling for Sewak to be fired.

Our D has been poor for so long that, as a whole, we watch the UVA game and conclude that our defense played relatively well. We gave up 27 points to probably the 2nd worst offense in the ACC. That is NOT good, and it just shows you how much we are used to being carried by the offense.

What's more is that our defensive talent has probably been, as a whole, better than our offensive talent, yet we have failed to match our successful offensive scheme with a good defensive scheme.

This, IMO, is where criticism should be focused. If we could replicate the D's FSU performance with our typical CPJ offense, we would be a playoff contender every year.

Sorry, but is this the Summers thread?

Good luck to the young man, but if he read threads that go as wild butt off target as this one, well, can you blame him for leaving? :-)

Man, if he transfers to ugag, holy crap ------ Chernobyl!

Back