Super League

I'm of the opinion now that all the power will eventually shift to the players. Look for a future lawsuit against CFB and the NFL over restraint of trade. There is absolutely no reason for the NFL to disallow an 18 year old from being drafted into the league. Personally, I'd enjoy watching all of CFB being relegated as all of the best players would likely be one and dones on the college level.

As of right now, they're not legally allowed to. Otherwise I'm sure they would be already.

???

The play some games now on Saturdays in December. Is there a legal agreement?

There is absolutely no reason for the NFL to disallow an 18 year old from being drafted into the league

they don’t have to. No NFL team is going to draft an 18 year old that isn’t physically ready to play against professional athletes (grown men). They don’t have the time to let the kid mature physically nor do they need to spend the resources to do so when the colleges already do that.

they don’t have to. No NFL team is going to draft an 18 year old that isn’t physically ready to play against professional athletes (grown men). They don’t have the time to let the kid mature physically nor do they need to spend the resources to do so when the colleges already do that.
This. A 22-year old can compete with 25 year olds in football. A typical 18 year old can’t.

You can say that, but you'd be wrong. There would be a slew of QB's evaluated and taken to develop. The whole "grown men" thing is bullshit. At the very least, you'd have a lot of one and dones, similar to college basketball.

This. A 22-year old can compete with 25 year olds in football. A typical 18 year old can’t.
A typical 18 year old can go to war as a marine and kill people. He can play football. Calvin Johnson was good enough to be drafted in the first two rounds out of HS. I'd bet Terrell Owens was too. Bo Jackson. Barry Sanders. John Elway.

You can say that, but you'd be wrong. There would be a slew of QB's evaluated and taken to develop. The whole "grown men" thing is bullshit. At the very least, you'd have a lot of one and dones, similar to college basketball.

No way. 18 year isn’t physically ready and would get crushed out there. The NFL team doesn’t have time to draft a HS kid and try develop him on the practice squad for a few years. No need for them to do so when colleges do it for them.

Not a valid comparison with the NBA (contact sport) versus a collision sport like the NFL.

A typical 18 year old can go to war as a marine and kill people. He can play football. Calvin Johnson was good enough to be drafted in the first two rounds out of HS. I'd bet Terrell Owens was too. Bo Jackson. Barry Sanders. John Elway.
No.

Chances are you are on the wrong side of this. The NFL is in the business of making money. If having access to the best 18 year olds would help them achieve that, they would have been doing it twenty years ago. Your suggestion of taking the best QBs and developing them makes sense to me in a total vacuum, but not with the current rookie contract structure.

No way. 18 year isn’t physically ready and would get crushed out there. The NFL team doesn’t have time to draft a HS kid and try develop him on the practice squad for a few years. No need for them to do so when colleges do it for them.

Not a valid comparison with the NBA (contact sport) versus a collision sport like the NFL.
Well I suppose that will be up to NFL scouts, not you. If I had a chance to grab a Herschel Walker in the 3rd round out of HS, I'd be all over it, but you're the expert here.

There is 0% chance any NFL team will draft a HS so called 5*. Teams have enough issues with 1st round pick failures. Why would they take an even bigger risk?

Just like people who honestly want to argue the NFL could squash CFB and create a minor league system. They have no reason to do that, when CFB is the minor league system and it costs the NFL next to nothing. Bama, Michigan, tOSU, etc already outdraw the NFL by a lot. To put a “minor league” team in B-ham for example, would look exactly like they do now in the UFL.

Well I suppose that will be up to NFL scouts, not you. If I had a chance to grab a Herschel Walker in the 3rd round out of HS, I'd be all over it, but you're the expert here.

And you wouldn’t have a job as a GM or coach very long taking a HS kid in an NFL draft, much less a Day 2 pick. True, you named some exceptional talents to had great college and pro careers earlier in the thread—none of them were ready right out of HS.

As @Dirty Jacket posted, NFL teams might take a talent at QB to develop, but with the rookie contracts slotted since the 2011 CBA there isn’t a need to when he can develop for 3 or 4 years in college.

I think that you are heavily discounting or ignoring the huge difference between a pro athlete in his 20s versus an 18 HS kid.

???

The play some games now on Saturdays in December. Is there a legal agreement?

Yeah, Saturdays are legally protected for CFB through the CFB regular season as part of an antitrust agreement.

There is 0% chance any NFL team will draft a HS so called 5*. Teams have enough issues with 1st round pick failures. Why would they take an even bigger risk?

Just like people who honestly want to argue the NFL could squash CFB and create a minor league system. They have no reason to do that, when CFB is the minor league system and it costs the NFL next to nothing. Bama, Michigan, tOSU, etc already outdraw the NFL by a lot. To put a “minor league” team in B-ham for example, would look exactly like they do now in the UFL.
0%?

That is ööööing stupid.

Even I knew who Herschel Walker was while he played as a senior. He ABSOLUTELY would have been drafted

Calvin Johnson would have been drafted.

To say 0% is ööööing stupid.

Bo was a HUGE Bama fan, and Bama did not offer. So he is another example of a player who was not as highly recruited as you think, but turned into one of the best players ever before injury.
That is not at all how I remember Bo getting recruited. Auburn had better running backs in that era than Bama did.

Back