Tailgate food and drink???

PM Gold

Varsity Lurker
Does any one have a favorite food and drink for tailgating? Or does anyone care to share recipes and or tricks for cooking in parking lots. I am thinking about bringing things up a notch at the tailgate and I am open to suggestions.
I usually keep thinks simple. Jack Daniels, Buffalo wings and a Maduro cigar. Yes, Usually in that order.

Price Memorial Gold

Just went out and bought the new 'Fire & Ice' grill/cooler for tailgating. I have been using a gas-powered hibachi in the past, but this has more cooking surface and generates more heat.

Tentative menu for Auburn:
Grilled Wings
Marinated Chicken
Corn on the Cob
Pasta Salad
Heineken
Black Jack

I am planning on buying a grill but I am a little worried about the hastle and clean up. Any advise?

Price Memorial Gold

Every game should be something different. Invite some good friends and die-hard Tech fans. Buffalo wings w/ranch, chips, salads, cheeses and fruit and LOTS of Heinekin! Hot and cold dishes are easy and no cooking needed at tailgating...this should be reserved so that we go to Yellow Jacket Alley, toast our good fortunes and loved ones and to another Jacket Victory!
drinking.gif

Been drinking so pardon my spelling.....

I like to prepare food the night before that can simply be warmed the morning of. Therefore it all depends on how long your commute is and the equipment you own.

I like a heavy starch w/ a good meat. Helps absorb the beer and gives you a real warm feeling inside.

We cook a heavily modified jamabalya style meal that we like to call Wreckbalya

All of this can be varied on personal preference:
1 lb of Hot Andouille (or Chorizo or Hot Italian)
1 box of Zatarain's (sp?) Yellow Rice or Jambalya mix
1 lb of chicken
2 lbs of fresh tomoatoes (Chopped and seeded)
1 huge sweet onion (Chopped)
1 red pepper (chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)
black pepper
white pepper
cayanne pepper
Olive oil
parsley
2 cloves of garlic (more garlic is always better)

In 1 pot saute the garlic, add the onion. add the peppers. Cook til softening peppers. Add tomatoes. Simmer.

Get rice to a decent boil. Let it boil for a few minutes. Add veggies. Simmer.

Cook the chicken. Add spices. When it gets mostly done...add to the pot. Simmer.

Cook sausage. Add spices. When it gets a bit brown slice it. Then cook a bit more. When it mostly done add to the pot.

Season w/ the above to taste. Simmer for a long time. Stir occassionally. Eyeball it.

Serves about 6-8 people.

Experiment w/ this to figure out do you want more or less or spices or ingredients. Can be cooked in any order. Makes no difference.

Refrige after cooking.

Sat morning warm slowly via simmer and lots of stirring. Add water to loosen up.

There are a million ways to keep food hot at tailgates. Use one.

If you need more detail by a cookbook. Recommended Joy of Cooking.

I'm hungry.

Originally posted by YodaBee:

We cook a heavily modified jamabalya style meal that we like to call Wreckbalya

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yoda, pardon my culinary ignorance but how does Wreckbalya differ from Jambalaya?

Originally posted by PM Gold:
Does any one have a favorite food and drink for tailgating? Or does anyone care to share recipes and or tricks for cooking in parking lots. I am thinking about bringing things up a notch at the tailgate and I am open to suggestions.
I usually keep thinks simple. Jack Daniels, Buffalo wings and a Maduro cigar. Yes, Usually in that order.

Price Memorial Gold
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Nothing beats BBQ (Ribs and/or pulled pork) and beer.

We bring our own cook who just happens
to be a caterer(sp?).

We usually have the following items for
our tailgate;

Bully's BBQ (just about as good as Fresh-Air)
Bully's BBQ sauce or Pop's BBQ sauce
Bully's home-made pork rinds
Mama Gigi's "World Famous" Pimento Cheese
Sandwiches
Chicken Wings
And last, but not least plenty of ice cold
beer and Bully's favorite Scotch.

Oh by the way I forgot to mention
we have a large variety of Carolina
Beach Music and also Bully's favorite
artists, Hank Willimas, Sr., Conway
Twitty, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline,
and Marty Robbins.

Oldgoldbee, right up my alley. I grew up with country and western music. My favorite is Blue Grass.

Father Time

Originally posted by oldgoldbee:
Oh by the way I forgot to mention
we have a large variety of Carolina
Beach Music and also Bully's favorite
artists, Hank Willimas, Sr., Conway
Twitty, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline,
and Marty Robbins.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bully seems to have a strong hand in the food and music choices at your tailgate.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
I believe we might be frying chicken at the AU
tailgate.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Should we get a few of those rubber chickens for the tailgate? If I'm going to be sleeping on the couch that week, I want to make sure that I earned it.
wink.gif

m2.jpg
WAR RUBBER CHICKEN, BABY!

CB, regarding Bully. He is an "old"
Tech fan from what back when. He use
to wear his Tech cap that had the Yellow
Jacket logo on it that looked like a
wasp instead of a Yellow Jacket. Do
any of y'all remember that logo?

I have to tell this story about Bully,
his real name is Walter. Back in the
50's there was a juke-joint in Crawford
County called Lake Henry. Every weekend
they would hold a dance with plenty of
guys and gals in attendance. Without fail
a fight would always break out between the
guys from Crawford, Peach and Monroe County.

Bully told me that this one particular night
a fight broke out, chairs and bottles were
being thrown. One of Bully's friends'
hollered out to Bully................"Bully,
we need your help, 'Bully's reply was.......
......Bully, Hell!! My name is Walter!!!

PM Gold,

I didn't see anyone offer any grill suggestions, so I'll offer mine. I've been using one of those green Sunbeam propane grill that you can get at any Wal-Mart or Target. Grilling surface is about 18"x10" and cools off quickly when finished.

In-Laws gave me a much larger Coleman grill for Christmas that will be on it's maiden voyage for the Aww-burn game.

For extra punch, make a pouch with aluminum foil, load it with hickory chips and lay it over the burner for a good smoky flavor.

Back