Takeaways from today's game

Except for the punter kicking game is bad. Don’t see any improvement from last year.

QB play- still is not reading correctly. Saw several miss reads. Passing game is maybe 10 percent better but will hold out judgement for a good team.

If team plays the same next week we will loose. And it it continues we will loose a lot.

O- line was slow and sluggish. Missed blocks and assignments all over the place.

Center QB exchange was terrible. Saw multiple almost fumbles because of that. We need cooper back.

Defense did better but still needs to work on tackling. Saw Curry try and tackle with his shoulder only with no wrap-up. Got to wrap-up.

DBs still giving to much cushion.
Agree. If we don’t improve, going to be a long year.

There were 2 D timeouts. I'm not sure why we took them.
The 2nd was called by Johnson, when we lined up in some weird prevent defense. I have never seen anything look like they in lined up in.

There were 2 D timeouts. I'm not sure why we took them.
And we always seem to do that. Not that it mattered yesterday, but there have been games where we needed timeouts in the 4th with time running out, but had spent them in the 3rd

CPJ said it was bc of ten men on the field I’m pretty sure.

It was.
Defensively, there was a lot of good. Guys running to the ball, closing down holes. Still didn't get a ton of pressure on the QB, but maybe we held back some stuff for later. Tackling was OK - missed a few out there, though, too.
Offensively, it was about as vanilla a game plan as I've seen PJ call. Very little triple. Couple of speed options and next to no rocket toss for the first team O. Lot of zone and belly it seemed like, especially with the first team.
Sure, TaQuon struggled mightily passing early. There were two times either he threw the wrong route or somebody ran the wrong route (the incompletion in the end zone and the near pick 6 for Alcorn). Plus, most of our throws were off straight drops instead of play action. A lot of our big plays from passing game are predicated on play action. We got away with a lineman down field on Marshall's TD to Stewart. Somebody (Quinney?) was a good five yards past the line of scrimmage.
Kicking game was OK. Not great but not abysmal. Coverage on kickoffs when they returned them was good. King showed a strong leg on the field goal try. So he's got the range. If the other team is going to fair catch the kickoffs, let em.
Some good, some disconcerting stuff but nothing that can't be fixed.

I never noticed a time when our defense was lined up wrong.

So that's already an improvement.

We still need improvement on disguising blitzes. I just don’t understand how this can be so hard.

I liked the way Tobias ran the offense. I know we did not score, but the one ninety yard march was a death march that was ruled inches short of a score, which on replay looked like a TD. I liked his decision making, ball handling and vision.

I liked the way Tobias ran the offense. I know we did not score, but the one ninety yard march was a death march that was ruled inches short of a score, which on replay looked like a TD. I liked his decision making, ball handling and vision.
Wished we could have seen him throw the ball. If he can do that then we are in good hands in the future.

Back