Talent level..

Patriot

Varsity Lurker
Here is how I see our talent matching up with that of our opponents.

1. BYU- we've got more
2. Auburn- they've got more
3. FSU- them
4. Clemson- them
5. Vandy- us
6. NCST- them
7. WF- us
8. Maryland- us (best coaching staff)
9. Duke- us
10. NC- us
11. UVA-them
12. UGA- them
On paper we should be 6-6 but we all know that games are not played on paper. UGA fans have been hoping for a paper national championship for 20 years!

Patriot - why does Clem and NC State have better talent?

Both of them have better QBs right now - definitely.

NC State lost a *ton* on D last year - they don't have the OL we have, esp the back 7 on D. I'm not even convinced about their front 4. And they don't have the WR corp we do, even with the kid from Miami finally factoring in.

NC State has a fine QB, a good offensive backfiled, and tons of hype.

I think this year GT will be a better team than last year (mainly due to having a full year with the staff under our belt), and I feel certain NC State will be worse than they were last year, and of course we beat them.

Clemson is closer to GT - I would probably argue we are about even, based on Whitehursts play at QB being above ours. Give us the edge at OL, them at DL, back 7 about the same (us at LB, them in Secondary). Receivers about even.

Not so sure that we have better talent than Maryland - but again I think very close to GT.

Otherwiser I agree with all you said

GTFish

Based on the fact that Smith and Fox have started for us for so long I give them the nod over Auburn's LB's. Add to the fact that Fox can play rush end and I think we have better overall talent.

Just my opinion
wink.gif

We have won with less talent than a lot of schools we play in the past. And I am not just talking about the occasional upset. But we had plenty of talent (not just starters but 2 deep as well) 2 years ago. I see a good pass blocking offensive line, not sure about runnung game-since our system under Friedgen was different. QB- Help. RB-Help. WR- First 4 decent, that's it.
DL- OK. DE-? LB-2 starters proven, 2 backups proven DB's- Best is Houston who should have started. With this group, I still think we have the talent to win 6-7 games. But Depth and Coaching will probably hurt. There is no way today we have better talent from 1-44 than NC State, Virginia, FSU, Maryland-16starters returning. CLemson and us are probably more equal with us ahead overall. UNC and Wake probably near, with Duke last. We do not have better overall talent than Auburn (just because we have Smith and Key Fox doesnt mean we have more talent than Auburn). We have more than Vandy, BYU, but no where near UGA. So we have the talent to win 6-7 games in my eyes. Will we?

Originally posted by Beesnut:
[QB]Here is how I see it:

Vandy - McEachern High School has more talent

Trivia Question:
Who is McEachern High School's current Quarterback?

Originally posted by TechFan101:
Originally posted by Beesnut:
[QB]Here is how I see it:

Trivia Question:
Who is McEachern High School's current Quarterback?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not AJ's little Brother? Isnt he a sophomore?

Actually think Gnome has it about right. The biggest question mark is whether we get any QB play. If we do I think we'll surprise a lot of people. If we don't, our other talent may be wasted. Whether you want to call that coaching or what to me it's the key to the season.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Actually think Gnome has it about right. The biggest question mark is whether we get any QB play. If we do I think we'll surprise a lot of people. If we don't, our other talent may be wasted. Whether you want to call that coaching or what to me it's the key to the season.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yep, that's how I see it. I do think the receivers can help our quarterback look good (little worried about the catches). Also, I'm worried about depth on the line. If we are hanging in there in the middle of the third quarter, will we still be there late in the fourth?

Originally posted by Patriot:
On paper we should be 6-6 but we all know that games are played on paper.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
wtf.gif

As someone said in a post a few days ago, the position coach does matter (by the way, I believe our offensive line coach D' whatever his name is has done a good job with the line) Nix is young. Bilbo's fundamentals are lacking and his decision making is suspect. Not sure if anyone can help that this quick but no more excuses. This is his 3rd year at GT. He either cuts it now or we go with the Freshman. Might as well by. We will know after 3rd game (FSU).

Gnome I'd agree with that as well. If Bilbo can't cut it let's see which freshman has the best grasp on things. I'd hate to see AJ back in there after last year. Maybe he can prove me wrong but guarantee I'll be real worried if I see him on the field.

Here is how I see it:

BYU - us
Auburn - them but barely. They have better RB's DL and Secondary. We have better QB's, WR's and LB's. OL is even
FSU - them
Clemson - US our defense is head and shoulders better than theirs even with the losses
NCSU - even
WF - us
MD- even they lost a lot of defense & our OL is much better
Duke - see Vandy
UNC - see Duke
UVA - them on offense us on defense
UGA - all except LB and OL

Beesnut, about the Auburn game. I brag to everyone about our LBs but we definately cant say that ours are better than Auburns. They have 2 deeps that could start anywhere in the country.

I think Auburn is a solid team, but im not sold they will be the NC contenders that everyone else is talking about. Big time offenses will beat you in the air and on the ground. Example Miami. Auburns QBs wouldnt even put up big #'s at a D2 school. Therefore WRs cant really be used to their ability. Running game will be great and win many games for them. I see them playing a lot of close games this year based on the fact their O will be on the field too long to run up a score.

Gnome I'd agree with that as well. If Bilbo can't cut it let's see which freshman has the best grasp on things. I'd hate to see AJ back in there after last year. Maybe he can prove me wrong but guarantee I'll be real worried if I see him on the field.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He would probably get in earlier in the season before the freshman if Bilbo struggles. But if Bilbo doesnt get it, which he has the tools to, then by midseason you got to go with the freshman, whichever one is better and redshirt the other. Although I dont think Bilbo can handle the reads, the double wing thing we had with Hamilton-Dez White-Watkins where we ran options from either side (Friedgen admitted we stole it from Navy the week before) would utilize Bilbos strength in the running game. I just dont see that happening in a Gailey Offense (Boring Offense).

See, that's where we disagree. I don't think Gailey's offense is anything in particular. Look at Dallas, Pitts, Miami and they all ran different styles of offense, at least as much as pro schemes are different. Gailey wants to run first, but that's not different from the vast majority of teams. Pitt was a run first team but with their line, the weather in Pitt and the Bus who wouldn't? Miami just didn't have many weapons and Dallas was wearing down. If you take a close look you will find that in terms of yards gained Gailey's teams are about as balanced as you can be. So I don't see Gailey as boring but as using the strengths he has and controlling the ball and clock. You can call it boring if you want, but if it works and we win I couldn't care less.

See, that's where we disagree. I don't think Gailey's offense is anything in particular. Look at Dallas, Pitts, Miami and they all ran different styles of offense, at least as much as pro schemes are different. Gailey wants to run first, but that's not different from the vast majority of teams. Pitt was a run first team but with their line, the weather in Pitt and the Bus who wouldn't? Miami just didn't have many weapons and Dallas was wearing down. If you take a close look you will find that in terms of yards gained Gailey's teams are about as balanced as you can be. So I don't see Gailey as boring but as using the strengths he has and controlling the ball and clock. You can call it boring if you want, but if it works and we win I couldn't care less.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You make good points. But you cant continue to make a good argument for his Offense not being boring. As Aikman said, "you have got to score points, and that is what this offense lacked." Miami was 20th in Offense his last year as O-coordinator but top 12 I believe in points. Their Defense was top 3 in turnover margin and scored points as well. You are right, they didnt have as many weapons as they do now (Ricky Williams helps). But as you said, he works with what he has. But whatever you have, you get paid to win and you got to score points to win. I hope he does utilize our strengths which is not Running between the tackles- and never will be at GT- unless you have a complimentary passing game to spread out the D. We will never have a smash mouth team like Pittsburgh. But Smith, Thomas, Bilbo, Grant, Curry, Daniels should have the ball at all times.

You actually made part of my point. He did win at all three places with vastly different types of players. As for Aikman, what I have heard from friends in Dallas who know football is the problem there was as much Troy as anything else. Chan was trying to change the kind of passing attack the Cowboys run. Troy was more comfortable with the timing patterns he had always used. Whether he couldn't do it, or didnt want to is a point to debate. But a big reason the Dallas offense wasn't what they wanted was Troy.

I also don't think the plan is to be a inside the tackle pound it out team. Actually I'm not sure anybody can be successful like that anymore. We did throw the ball last year, and, as I said above, Gailey's teams have ALWAYS been about 50/50. If you don't believe me look it up.

You actually made part of my point. He did win at all three places with vastly different types of players. As for Aikman, what I have heard from friends in Dallas who know football is the problem there was as much Troy as anything else. Chan was trying to change the kind of passing attack the Cowboys run. Troy was more comfortable with the timing patterns he had always used. Whether he couldn't do it, or didnt want to is a point to debate. But a big reason the Dallas offense wasn't what they wanted was Troy.

I also don't think the plan is to be a inside the tackle pound it out team. Actually I'm not sure anybody can be successful like that anymore. We did throw the ball last year, and, as I said above, Gailey's teams have ALWAYS been about 50/50. If you don't believe me look it up.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NC.. I've seen you post many times how important our QB play is this year.. Do you have stats in mind as far as QB rating, TD passes, INT %, completion %, rating within the ACC? I.E., what are your quantifications for this year?

Back