Talk on Hive regarding coaching changes.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Here is the link: Lunchbunch Info on Coaches

RAMBLERTECH posted this. Believe you can pretty much mark it down although there is no official word yet.

Here is what he posted:

"Gailey has said he is going to call the plays this fall. What I believe is taking place is a team approach, similar to the Falcons, with the offensive coaches. I believe Nix will work with the qbs as well as Gailey, Tenuta will coach the dbs as well as coordinate, Modkins will move to rb coach, Robinson to tight end coach, new coach Buddy Guiss, spelling ? x Cowboy coach with Gailey,will coach recievers, Dave Wilson will be Special Teams Coach and Recruiting Coord, and Butch Brooks will be promoted to Director Football Operations. This seems to be what I believe is true after you hear all the rumors. It gets coaches coaching the positions they played. Spencer, Haley and D'Alessandris stay with their present positions. Nothing has been announced, but this is my best analysis."

FWIW the x Dallas coach is Geis as RAMBLERTECH questions the spelling in his post. Seems we've all pulled different spellings out for his name today including me.
wink.gif

GTTerrific,

Thanks for the info. Unless I'm missing something, no Offensive Coordinator, wonder why?

Thanks GTT:
I'd like an OC as well. Maybe that approach will be just for this season as we are late in the process before spring practice to find a good one.

I'm not for an HC calling plays. I think the HC has too many other things to be involved in and worry about especially in the college ranks. Just my opinion.

I share your feelingsMrs. Tech. I haven't seen too many HC's that were too successful trying to do both. I know about Steve Spurrier. But I think this bodes bad for us idiot Tech supporters who will be forced to sit and sweat out more games like the second halves of the Duke, Va, and Conn. Games
in which we went in the tank. Oh well.

I think Steve Spurrier was the HC, OC, and signal caller. Don't feel that's what Coach Gailey wants to do. Believe the CO will be a group effort, while he'll call the plays.

Buck,
You need to learn Chan-speak.

When he says....Bilbo is too talented to stand by me on the sideline.....it means....Bilbo has to stand somewhere else.

When he says....that he is not going to change an already successful offense....it means that the already successful offense will mysteriously become unrecognizable, the OC will be banished to the press box, and will resign at the end of the season.

When he says that he has been preparing for an entire year for the the most important game of the year against our hated rival....it means 51-7.

If he says he is going to call the plays this year...just like he did last year......well, I guess you already know what that means.

There are many more examples of this language.

beeware. If that's your take on "Chan-speak". Lord help us with "beeware-speak."

It's real easy to be critical of others. Real easy especially when they're not present.

Questions: Do we have to pay O'Brien for any future years, or was he on a standard one year contract? How is our athletic budget at this time?

Do we know there will not be an OC, or is this an assumption?

confused.gif

My concerns with the Geis fellow is that he hasn't coached on the college level since 1994 when he was at Duke and for the most part he has coached pro and semi-pro teams since. Isn't Chan concerned about hiring good recruiters who have established contacts? We are in a critical situation where we need instant producers that can hit the recruiting trail with vigor and that can sell our school to high school recruits. But
this man is 56 years old and has limited college experience and the question naturally arises, can he recruit at the 1-a level? It seems that Chan is intent on gathering a collection of his buddies
to fill his staff.
I remember when Steve Spurrier hired Coach Stoops
as his DC a few years ago he made the comment to the press that he didn't know Stoops personally but he got reports that he was the best coach in the business and that was what he wanted. I wish we had a coach that had a burning desire to win as Steve did.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
[QB I wish we had a coach that had a burning desire to win as Steve did.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I have lost count of idiotic remarks from you, Buck (poor math skills), but this one is up close to your "jokes" and your comments on Suggs based on what you read in the AJC.

Big Buck, you have a legitimate point regarding his age and ability to recruit the young players. It does appear to be a strange hire. Another item on the "wait and see" agenda.

I guess Gailey's Geis gets grilled greatly for Joining GT's group of gifted gentlemen gurus.

Huh!

confused.gif

Originally posted by bellyseries:
I have lost count of idiotic remarks from you, Buck ...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">belly,
It appears to me that Buck's questions and comments are very valid concerns that many of us share.

beeware since you're joining in belly and buck I will as well.

Nothing wrong in my opinion with Buck's concerns. No sense in my opinion making the statement that he feels Coach Gailey doesn't have a burning desire like Steve to win because Coach Gailey didn't hire as Buck wanted him too.

Now you can continue on your Coach Gailey bashing beeware. You made the statement that MANY have the concern. I see a few on this board that do, with you being one of them. I'll wait and see myself. Have spoken to a number of GT fans regarding Geis coming to GT today. They didn't have the same feelings as the few of you on this board that do. In fact I will say that this board isn't a good population of how GT fans feel in general. There are great fans here, yes, although you've run off a number of them.

If Buck would spend any amount of time with Coach Gailey he wouldn't make the remark he just did about his fire to win. He might not have that opportunity, and that's understandable.

Ahsoisee, No we don't know that one of these coaches won't be the OC.

Some people are complaining that Geis is too old
and has been away from college ball for too long.

Am I the only one who thinks, "Hey, it might be
a good idea to get a pro-style WR coach in here
along with some more of those tall speedy pro-style
WRs Gailey obviously likes!"?

Jeez guys...Is it possible that these kids might
want to play for someone with an NFL or
pro pedigree? Is it possible that this guy might
be a good judge of WR talent?

So how come its bad for Geis to be a pro style coach with no college experience since '94. But Jimmy Robinson, who has exactly 3 years college coaching experience is so good many wanted him as HC? We're worried that Geis can't recruit? Has anybody here met him? Do you know what he's like? Will kids take to him? Maybe the combination of his experience and Nix's youth and enthusiasm will be the best coaching team in the SE.

Let's face it, we're all just speculating on something we know absolutely nothing about. And some of you are so negative that noone would have made you happy.

I like it! Top D1 WR talent being attracted to TECH by the opportunity to play for and school under Gailey & Geis (G&G).

Heck, Chan and Buddy'll probably be recruiting buddies as well.

I love the idea of having someone with pro WR coaching experience. That's a huge plus. I really like the fact that they've worked together before as well. Some people want to make this "buddy" thing a negative.

We don't know what kind of recruiter he's going to be. That's the wait and see. I do feel that Coach Gailey has some insight to what kind of recruiter he will be, or he hasn't or won't hire him.

Maybe we should put an age restriction on fans as well in our thinking?
wink.gif
Just kidding of course.

If Buck would spend any amount of time with coach Gailey he wouldn't make the remark he just did about his fire to win-BY GTTerrific

GTTerrific, let me clarify for you that I don't just shoot from the hip without any ammo. I have met Chan on more than one occasion and you have never heard me criticize his principles or desire.
However, I have on many occasions questioned his methods, fire, Judgments, and preparation of our team to compete. That doesn't mean that I am right and you are wrong it simply means that we have taken a set of facts and came to different conclusions.
While we are discussing Chan let me say that I also know for a fact what several High School coaches think of him and it is not good. I know three high school coaches that say he will never sign a kid as long as they are the coach at their school. I shared this with NCJacket earlier in the football season after I was told this. These
coaches have a personal dislike for the man. This all came about because they had stud FB players that was recruited by the Stanfords and other academic schools and the head coach said that no one from Tech had contacted anyone at his school about these kids although they all made the top 75 in the south and signed with big time programs.
This is not AJC BS but real hard facts. It is true that I am an old man and have some difficulty getting around but I am still active in TD Clubs as well as having a pulse on what is going on in the high school ranks. I don't make it to as many functions in atlanta as I used to{with the exception of the games}but I do know most of the people in the AA. My thinking is that if winning is as important to Chan as it is to Steve Spurrier he would go outside his circle of friends and hire the very best man that was available. But then again he may have done that but it doesn't APPEAR TO ME THAT HE HAS. By the way I want to compliment you on the civil way you expressed yourself. I don't respond to people that I disrespect, but two can disagree without being disagreeable. And you did that.

Originally posted by beeware:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
I have lost count of idiotic remarks from you, Buck ...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">belly,
It appears to me that Buck's questions and comments are very valid concerns that many of us share.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Seriously....Buck and Beeware, do either of you believe anyone that are the big decision makers, Braine, Clough, big money contributors, season ticket holders, anyone who supports Georgia Tech Football read about these rumored hires and shouted out loud in sheer happiness?

Big Buck, Thanks for clarifying. Coach Gailey is a very competitive guy. He hurts bad when we/he loses, and he is here to win. Not at all cost, and this isn't a similar situation to Steve at FL. This is GT. I want him to go out and get the best man for the job as well. This place isn't like OK, FSU, FL, and so on. This is Georgia Tech. Just a completely different situation. I do understand your point though.

I do better understand what you meant by fire now. I just look at it in a different way. Like you said there is nothing wrong with that.

Do know of a great number of coaches that do like him and respect him a great deal. Do know we've had problems in past. Do know we recruited at HS this year where we have had big time trouble in past. Do know that they could care less about any top 100 or so list from AJC.

Back