"Team" catching on ...

There is a difference between being suited for a position and actually living up to it. 41 was well suited for OLB, he just ran himself out of the play every time and didn't accomplish much. The OL probably had the biggest discrepancy, though the in-season injuries really screwed stuff up.

Really disagree here.

41 was pretty stiff in his hips and couldn't run and turn well. I think he was best suited at running straight lines, which is not what the OLB is asked to do in Groh's 3-4.

Splitting hairs here (as always).

Last year was like Rocky Balboa fighting Clubber Lang for the first time. We were over confident and subsequently got our asses beat by Kansas and lost our mojo (unfortunately we didn't have Apollo Creed to give us the eye of the tiger during the season). It looks like we're more focused and taking less for granted this year, and will hopefully show Clubber that no one talks about having relations with Adrienne and gets away with it.

I don't need an archived AJCrap article to tell me that.

Splitting hairs here (as always).

Last year was like Rocky Balboa fighting Clubber Lang for the first time. We were over confident and subsequently got our asses beat. It looks like we're more focused and taking less for granted this year, and will hopefully show Clubber that no one talks about having relations with Adrienne and gets away with it.

I don't need an archived AJCrap article to tell me that.

Adriennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne!

Even CPJ alluded to that something was not quite right about this team with his phrase "this may be a better team, but may have a worst a record." Name another head coach who say like this?

This.

Folks are forgetting how concerned he was about not being able to get these guys going in practice, saying folks were just going through the motion. I recall this from last spring and fall. Yes there was fluff pieces about who was going to be great, this and that, but it doesn't dismiss the concerns expressed by CPJ and others last spring and fall.

Even CPJ alluded to that something was not quite right about this team with his phrase "this may be a better team, but may have a worst a record." Name another head coach who say like this?

I remember these quotes well. I have to admit that I always assumed that he was just trying to manage expectations like his generic "you've got to earn it; they aint gonna give you anything" which he's been saying since he got here.

A couple points....

Last year we heard a lot more about the offseason being about the team rather than the individuals, clearly in reference to losing big playmakers like Dwyer and Bebe. CPJ said that we might be a better "team" with a worse record. This was basically because we had a tougher schedule versus an improved ACC and fewer leaders on the team....which brings me to my other point....

Last year a lot of the chatter in the press and on the forums was about who would step up and be a leader....
Nesbitt was "lead by example", Jefferson was the "vocal leader on defense." In the final summation, neither of these provided us the type of leadership that we needed to create a special season. Our lack of leaders apparently hurt us in the locker room. It apparently hurt us on the field. And it looks like the lack of it was significant enough that it has become a focal point of the off-season (leadership seminars for the whole team). CPJ can manage the team as well as anyone, but without leaders executing and motivating on the field, the team will not reach maximum potential.

Last year was last year
This year will be different
Talk is cheap, go Tech!

ps. Also, get a life. Nearly 5,000 posts in less than 8 months. WTF?

haters-1.gif

Since we're bringing up last year, I hear that we are practicing the shotgun now.

Pretty sure this was the type of "talk" I read last year too. Frankly, I won't get excited about this type of talk anymore. As CPJ likes to say: "show me".

It's the same talk you find anywhere every year. I think uga the last 5 years has talked about how they have new leadership, they are stoked to play, looking better, yada yada yada.

The big difference to me is Richt sugar coats that garbage every year and CPJ tells it how it is.

Look at his comments throughout August last year - he talked about how he wanted us to practice with more energy and he thought practices were dragging some. Low and behold, the team doesn't play with fire at all.

So far CPJ's picked on the OL as struggling. I think that's expected given the turnover, though I think it will probably continue into the season as well.

Some good things though, Johnson has noted how the team attitude has been good and has particularly pointed out how athletic our secondary is.

The big difference to me is Richt sugar coats that garbage every year and CPJ tells it how it is.

I sort of agree. I get that CPJ likes to straight talk... although I believe that he sometimes doesn't for the benefit of his team/staff/etc. Or it sounds like straight talk when it's really a "typical" CPJ response to a stupid question.

But the OP was referring to what a player said. The players are not likely to straight talk especially when things are not going as well as they expect. They will either go the humble "we're working hard" route or paint a rosier picture. These are not ugag players that can't tell the difference between what you're supposed to say and what you're not supposed to say when you're on the record.

I like reading articles like this (especially now where we're not getting much info with the closed practices) and knowing what the staff/team/players are focused on. Just doesn't mean it will work any better than last year.

Talk is cheap. Just like discussions like this. :wink:

Back