Tech and F$U to leave ACC? (link)

JoltinJacket

► Ģŏ ʝąҁʞεɫʂ ◄
Interesting report from today's Boston Herald. It talks about the no-vote and what might happen if the expansion idea gets completely derailed.

One unconfirmed report had both Georgia Tech and Florida State stepping forward during the call, which apparently lasted 2-3 hours, and saying they'd leave the ACC if this expansion doesn't take place. There was also a report that the ACC members are battling over divisional alignments.

http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/college/bc06112003.htm
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm to the point where, if Dook and Carowhina can't put their egos on the shelf for a while to do what's best for the conference, I think Tech would be much better off joining the SEC, the Big East, or perhaps forming a conference of their own. Warchant.com talked about rumors of a new conference consisting of Tech, F$U, Miami, Notre Dame, BC, Louisville, and up to two other teams.

I hope like heck if the NC mafia votes no along with UVA, Tech and FSU have the huevos to bolt and along with several others form a new conference to compete against the (whats left) ACC.

So since we've reportedly said we would leave if the situation was right, does that mean we're now in the clear if we have secret meetings with other schools? Don't want to get sued by the ACC you know.

In all seriousness, if we don't expand I think the ACC will be toast when the next TV deal comes up. FSU would likely leave and that would be significant. I'll go on record to say I would love to be back in the SEC if it made economic sense (and they want us back) but I'm not sure they are looking to expand. I would love to see FSU, Miami, Tech and Clemson make a pact to do something together whatever that might end up looking like.

I wouldn't mind a bit if the ACC and BE cooperate to come up with one all-sports (read football) 12 team conference and one basically basketball conference, but I suppose too many schools want to be in a 12 team football conference for that to work.

If the SEC was really alert right now they possibly could bring Tech, F$U, Miami, and Virginia Tech into the league! That would be an indisputable powerhouse conference in football and absolute goldmine moneywise for all the schools.

Here's my 2 coferences, with a little jiggling of CUSA and Big 10:

All-Sport

GT
FSU
Clem
Miami
NCSU
Syracuse
BC
VT
UVa
WVa
Pitt
Penn State

Mostly B-Ball but still Div I football:

Duke
UConn
Rutgers
UNC
WF
East Car
Cincy
Maryland
Army
Navy
Temple
Louisville

I would doubt the validity of the report. Clough has been on the conference calls lately. I doubt seriously that to speak up in front of everyone and take such a gutsy, pro-athletic stance that it happened. Here is a Pres who has avoided making private policy changes, much less public statements about athletics at Georgia Tech. As much as I'd like to see it if they vote it down, I don't see it in the man.

Belly, that would be a pretty neat football conference.

Georgia Tech and Penn State have a football legacy from way back in the past up to the present. Two of the most successful coaches ever and a great cumulative bowl history between the two. Both teams have been favorites of much of the nation over the years.

It is undeniable that FSU and Miami have been the cream of the crop in this era. They have huge appeal in today's market of TV football.

Clemson is a well-known football school and NCSU appears to be up and coming with Amato.

Syracuse may only be a coach away from being a good football school again. They had some good teams back in the past.

Boston College has already begun to climb up the ladder in the past few years.

Virginia Tech has rode Beamer to the top of the football rankings in this era. Virginia did very well with Welsh, but appears to be taking it to another level with Groh.

West Virginia and Pittsburgh have had their share of good teams in the past. With a conference such as this, they would be compelled to push it up a notch.

Big City media coverage, Atlanta, Syracuse, Miami, Pittsburgh, and Boston. This type of coverage assures more TV contracts.

Good line-up Belly.

blue.gif

GT leaving the ACC would be foolish. Remember, the biggest blunder in the history of GT Football was leaving the SEC in 1967. Tech football almost died (like Tulane's just has bellied up). Being an independent is no good. Joining the Big East or Metro Conf.USA would be a step down IMHO.

Now, with or without ACC expansion, I would endorse re-entering the SEC. I remember the sell-outs, SRO games vs. Auburn, Tenn., Alabama, Florida, and even South Carolina in the '80's.
drinking.gif

We should not be so hard on Duke & UNC and quick to judge. Remember, in 1979, the ACC saved GT Football from the brink of extinction by admitting us to their league.

I still say the whole expansion controvery would end if the ACC would take VT & WV along with Miami, BC & SU and go to 14 teams. Put the five Big East schools with VA & MD in the "North Division". The four NC schools, GT, F$U and Clemson could form the "South Division". The ACC would really be a Super Conference.
drinking.gif

I had the good fortune to speak to several coaches, granted round ball but still coaches back when Tech hired BC. They (the ACC) wanted us badly as Atlanta is the biggest market in the SE. They did not rescue us granted they did make it easier to get back into the spotlight. But, lets not start saying the ACC is our savior. The best thing the ACC did for Tech was in round ball.

Expansion or not, the BEST thing that could ever happen to GT would be to get back in the SEC. Natural rivals, they could use to benefit of a school with some academic integrity, we would benefit (down the road, granted) by the increased competition. There are enough S/A's with the grades that would love to play for a GT in the SEC. Peoples foolish pride may not want to admit this but we would sell more fb season tix WITHOUT a doubt and would eventually develop a better program. Our other sports are to a great degree on par with the SEC now. Golf, Beesball, Basketball (M & W), Track. If GT has so many smart people this plan should have been in the works from the beginning of the BCS, and we should do whatever is necessary to make it happen. And ugag people, with as many times as they have beat us since 64, should be our biggest supporters to encourage the change.

ESPN radio interviewing writer out of Pittsburgh saying that lawsuit has done what it was intended to do: scare borderline ACC schools. He said he does not think expansion as drawn up now will happen. However, he predicts Miami to SEC if expansion does not happen. SEC will drop perhaps ARK to get either FSU or Miami.

I can think of no worse a fate than to be left behind with the likes of the shortsighted Dukes and UNC's of this world. (and perhaps UVA).

He said the ACC has terrible PR now due to the fact that every move has been made so very public!

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! Swofford has gone about this all wrong, IMO.

The most disappointing thing is that in most of the scenario's we end up playing more northern teams. The SEC won't let us in - the SEC if they ever expanded, which they dont need to do, would make a run on FSU or Miami. The yankee teams, as we will see in the fuutre, bring no chance of rivalry. Too far away, cultures too different. VA Tech would have been a much better choice. UVa and Maryland are far enough north as is.

Ithink Virginia politics is the snag. The gov is scared of all the VT fans, and is raising so much hell, that UVA is backing off. FH stinger just had the best solution-14 teams-and I liked his divisional breakdown.

Frank Beamer has spent the last 15 years building VT into a national powerhouse. With VT in the heart of ACC country, it would be a crime and a sin to leave them out of the ACC, and, in effect, out of the BCS picture.

Why not go one up on the SEC & Big 12, and expand to 14 schools. The new ACC Super-Conference (and geographically correct):

North Division

Miami
Syracuse
Boston College
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Virginia
Maryland

South Division

FSU
GT
Clemson
Duke
UNC
NC State
WF

Note: I still don't think BC & Syracuse belong in the ACC, a southern conference.
drinking.gif

Originally posted by FHstinger:
GT leaving the ACC would be foolish. Remember, the biggest blunder in the history of GT Football was leaving the SEC in 1967. Tech football almost died (like Tulane's just has bellied up). Being an independent is no good. Joining the Big East or Metro Conf.USA would be a step down IMHO.

Now, with or without ACC expansion, I would endorse re-entering the SEC. I remember the sell-outs, SRO games vs. Auburn, Tenn., Alabama, Florida, and even South Carolina in the '80's.
drinking.gif

We should not be so hard on Duke & UNC and quick to judge. Remember, in 1979, the ACC saved GT Football from the brink of extinction by admitting us to their league.

I still say the whole expansion controvery would end if the ACC would take VT & WV along with Miami, BC & SU and go to 14 teams. Put the five Big East schools with VA & MD in the "North Division". The four NC schools, GT, F$U and Clemson could form the "South Division". The ACC would really be a Super Conference.
drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">A couple of thoughts:

Tech left the SEC in 1963, not 1967.

In the'80s we played SEC teams 32 times with a record of 7-24-1. Our home record was 5-10. Of the 15 home games, 7 were sell outs, GA in 81, 83, 85, 87 & 89, Alabama in 82 & 84.

We played SC in 88 at home (w-sell out) and 89 away (l).

The attendance at the 1986 game against UT (a win) was 28,000

So, maybe, the good old days weren't so good after all.

(source - 2002 GT Media Guide)

Your right IM, TECH did leave the SEC in '63.

But, the reason the '86 UT game was not a sell out was because it was raining that day, October 14, 1986. I know, 'cause I was there. TECH squeaked out a win, 14-13, when the UT kicker slipped on the wet astroturf on a chip shot, last second, field goal attempt. The '82(31-21 win) and '84 (21-24 loss) UT games were close to sell outs. I was at those games, too.

TECH had Auburn beat in 1985, was ahead 14-10 and leading almost the entire game. Then, in the final minutes, Bo Jackson broke loose for a 75 yard TD run around the right end, headin' to the north end zone. TECH lost 17-14, and I almost cried.
frown.gif

Those were the days. I remember them like yesterday.
drinking.gif

Originally posted by FHstinger:
Your right IM, TECH did leave the SEC in '63.

But, the reason the '86 UT game was not a sell out was because it was raining that day, October 14, 1986. I know, 'cause I was there. TECH squeaked out a win, 14-13, when the UT kicker slipped on the wet astroturf on a chip shot, last second, field goal attempt. The '82(31-21 win) and '84 (21-24 loss) UT games were close to sell outs. I was at those games, too.

TECH had Auburn beat in 1985, was ahead 14-10 and leading almost the entire game. Then, in the final minutes, Bo Jackson broke loose for a 75 yard TD run around the right end, headin' to the north end zone. TECH lost 17-14, and I almost cried.
frown.gif

Those were the days. I remember them like yesterday.
drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Back to the books:

Until 1985 BDS capacity was more or less 59,000 with a reported capacity of 58,121. The largest home crowds were UGA 83 and 85 (who can forget Ted Roof and Gary Lee in that game?). Attendance for the 82 UT game was 43,182 and for the 84 UT game 45,167, or an average of 76% of reported capacity. The UT game in 80 drew 50,127, 86% of reported capacity. Auburn 81 drew about the same amount, and Clemson 84 drew more than either (57,704).

Over the years, it appears that our most frequent opponents are UGA, Auburn, Duke, Clemson, Alabama, UT, Florida, and UNC. Against those teams we have winning records with Duke Clemson, UNC, & Florida, or all of our most frequent ACC opponents, but only one of our most frequent SEC opponents. And that one is a team that, if we had played in the past 10 (or more) years, we would have most likely lost to every time. While I agree, that, on the average, attendance is better with the SEC teams, record is much worse. And record is all important in determining BCS bids, bowl positions, etc. Thats why UGA looks for weak OOC opponents. A loss to a strong OOC opponent, even in a close game, does much more harm than a win over a "sisters of the poor" OOC patsy that comes to their house to get whipped.

Right now we are in a conference that we have a reasonable chance of winning, if we can get past FSU, and avoid games like BC 98, WFU 99, Clemson 01, Maryland 01, etc, etc, etc. Win 8 ACC games, and 2 OCC games against the likes of UCONN, UCF, Navy, etc, and we are in the BCS. What could be easier? Based on past records, we have little or no chance in an SEC division with UT, UF, and UGA. It took UGA 20+ years and 4 Head Coaches to solve the SEC East puzzle, even without the special limitations that GT, by its nature, imposes on our Athletic department.

My point is that, except for UGA, the 80's show that simply putting an SEC game on the schedule does not produce an automatic sell out, unless it is the visiting team that is buying up the tickets. This is espically true if the SEC team comes in highly favored. (Only South Carolina fans - bless them - show up in full strength no matter what the odds against them are).

As for the 86 UT game, I believe that the attendance figures reported by Tech are based on tickets sold, not fannies in the seats. If that is the case, then, certainly we were not hoping to sell half the tickets on game day, were we?

Please don't take this as a "sharp shooting" attack. We are both GT grads and fans, and no doubt, show up and support our Jackets, win or lose. However, I am convinced that, both short and long term, winning is in our best interest, and our best opportunity to win is to remain in the ACC.

I'd rather lose to Alabama, Auburn and UT than beat Duke, NC, and Wake. But really, who is to say that our program would not significantly improve with SEC affiliation? If we were still in the SEC today maybe we would be expanding BDS to 85,000. Maybe the blue chippers would have come here instead of Florida and UGA. Play mediocre teams and expect to get top notch recruits? I know we have a top notch academic program. Bringing the Crimson Tide, Gators and Volunteers in here every 2 years, win or lose, as opposed to DOOK, NC and Wake would be awesome. Plus we would get to play the Gators in Georgia, even UGAg doesn't get to do that.

Originally posted by JJacket:
I'd rather lose to Alabama, Auburn and UT than beat Duke, NC, and Wake. But really, who is to say that our program would not significantly improve with SEC affiliation? If we were still in the SEC today maybe we would be expanding BDS to 85,000. Maybe the blue chippers would have come here instead of Florida and UGA. Play mediocre teams and expect to get top notch recruits? I know we have a top notch academic program. Bringing the Crimson Tide, Gators and Volunteers in here every 2 years, win or lose, as opposed to DOOK, NC and Wake would be awesome. Plus we would get to play the Gators in Georgia, even UGAg doesn't get to do that.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hopefully you meant to say you would rather play Bama, Auburn, and Tennessee and take our chances than Duke, North Carolina, and Wake Forest which are teams nowhere near the strength or as rich in tradition and are schools we should have no problem with. And usually don't. I know that is my perspective. I agree with everything else in your post. If expansion falls apart and Tech and Florida State start exploring options I dearly hope the SEC will open up. Tech and Florida State bring a lot to the table. I would wager that in 1963 the SEC hated seeing Tech pull out and maybe an admittance that this has was an error on our part would help heal any animosity toward us from long time supporters of other schools with long memories.

Back