Tech and F$U to leave ACC? (link)

To each his own. I have made the long drive home after losing to Auburn and beating Duke. The latter was, and always will be, more enjoyable than the former. No doubt, the best ride is one after beating a UGA, Auburn, UT, etc. Even the trip home from Knoxville after the 85 game when UT lucked out and tied us at their house was great. But such rides have been too few and too far between in the past 40 years. (Only 7 - plus 1 for the UT tie - times in the entire 1980's and 3 times against SEC opponents in the 90's) No, I would rather see a win than a loss any day, espically when that win means we need only 7 more to get into a BCS Bowl. BTW, Duke, at 69 games through 2002 is our third most frequent opponent, behind only UGA (96 games) and Auburn (90 games).

Originally posted by JacketIM:
To each his own. I have made the long drive home after losing to Auburn and beating Duke. The latter was, and always will be, more enjoyable than the former. No doubt, the best ride is one after beating a UGA, Auburn, UT, etc. Even the trip home from Knoxville after the 85 game when UT lucked out and tied us at their house was great. But such rides have been too few and too far between in the past 40 years. (Only 7 - plus 1 for the UT tie - times in the entire 1980's and 3 times against SEC opponents in the 90's) No, I would rather see a win than a loss any day, espically when that win means we need only 7 more to get into a BCS Bowl. BTW, Duke, at 69 games through 2002 is our third most frequent opponent, behind only UGA (96 games) and Auburn (90 games).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If you want to win so bad, petition to start scheduling The Citadel and Furman (not 1A, I know) and add Navy to the schedule again. That's it, drop Auburn again for Navy and make sure we get to keep UConn on the schedule. Instead of improving our team, we can just play teams worse than us.
I would rather earn a BCS bid than try to sneak into one with creative scheduling. I used to attend Tech games with my grandad in all through the 60's and 70's up until the time he passed in 1980. I personally had more fun at the games we lost against the quality opposition than the wins against the Citadel and William and Mary (we played a girl?). I have also been to an Auburn/Tech games home and away and Duke games home/away (as well as others) and was in attendance when we beat Notre Dame in the mid 70's and Alabama in 1981. Still have the AJC sports section from the 1981 Alabama victory, even though we went 1-10. Still have it because playing competively against 'Bama and beating them is an accomplishment. The silence is deafening at Duke. At Duke, did they wake you after the game to tell you it was over? As for Auburn, Jordan Hare rocks.
Maybe that's what separates us from Auburn and Alabama. Auburn has USC coming to town this year and 'Bama has Oklahoma waiting. I bet both of them expect to win. We want to schedule patsys in hope of a BCS bid. I would hate to run into the Sooners in a BCS game after tuning up on the Wake and Duke. Might be embarrassing.
Believe it or not, I'm not to be rude here, but the path of least resistance is not always the best path to take.

Originally posted by FHstinger:
TECH had Auburn beat in 1985, was ahead 14-10 and leading almost the entire game. Then, in the final minutes, Bo Jackson broke loose for a 75 yard TD run around the right end, headin' to the north end zone.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I thought that Bo ran South down the east (visitor) sidelines?

You may, of course, be as rude as you want to be, and have as much fun watching a loss as you want to have. Neither makes a bit of difference to me. You may pine for Tech returning to the SEC if you wish to do so. Like you, I have been going to home and away games since the early 60's as a Tech student and grad, with my wife, my wife and children, and now that they are grown, its my wife and me again. I have fun at all the games, and would enjoy being there if I was the only fan in the stadium. Sorry, but the 33-7 win against W&M was a lot more fun (for me) than the 38-14 thrashing at the hands of Auburn (not a sell out, but a lot more people there than against W&M). Not to rude, but if you don't mind, I'll enjoy football my way and you enjoy it your way. But don't worry, when you get to be Athletic Director and set up the schedule your way, I'll still come to the games. I just won't be happy with the losses like you will be. Until that happens, we are both along for the ride. Let's wait until after the Auburn game and talk about how much fun we had. After all, right now the game is a tie.

Originally posted by JacketIM:
You may, of course, be as rude as you want to be, and have as much fun watching a loss as you want to have. Neither makes a bit of difference to me. You may pine for Tech returning to the SEC if you wish to do so. Like you, I have been going to home and away games since the early 60's as a Tech student and grad, with my wife, my wife and children, and now that they are grown, its my wife and me again. I have fun at all the games, and would enjoy being there if I was the only fan in the stadium. Sorry, but the 33-7 win against W&M was a lot more fun (for me) than the 38-14 thrashing at the hands of Auburn (not a sell out, but a lot more people there than against W&M). Not to rude, but if you don't mind, I'll enjoy football my way and you enjoy it your way. But don't worry, when you get to be Athletic Director and set up the schedule your way, I'll still come to the games. I just won't be happy with the losses like you will be. Until that happens, we are both along for the ride. Let's wait until after the Auburn game and talk about how much fun we had. After all, right now the game is a tie.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think my point is that as Tech fans, we now EXPECT to lose the big games so let's avoid them all together. Our program has lost a lot over the years. We are just now getting to the point of building it back. Having fun with Citadel while big games are being played around the country is pointless and as long as we have that attitude we will continue to have a 3/4 full stadium and give blue chippers no reason to attend our school. Maybe you could explain to the recruits how much fun it is to beat William and Mary in front of 30,000 polite, but fun-loving fans. I will continue to believe that we can join the Alabamas, Oklahomas, Notre Dames and Nebraskas of the world by scheduling them, taking our licks if necessary, and eventually beating them. Standing pat gets us nowhere.

Actually, I see nothing wrong with playing a mixed schedule.

I like to win all games. I am a poor loser. I had much rather beat an equal or weaker team than lose to a better team. I don't want to lose period.

It is not realistic to expect a good record every year if you play a slate of 12 games against the top 12 teams in the country.

The smart coach and AD will set up the schedule to have good teams and good rivalries on the schedule sprinkled with a few softies in between some of the major opponents.

A team can not be up in its emotions every week. Scheduling has a lot to do with winning records around the country. However, it is still a no-brainer that you have to have good players and good coaches.

drinking.gif

Ahso, I agree completely. A win is a win. I feel so much better after a victory then I do an loss. For example, the 26-21 loss to FSU in 2000, I think we were 40 point dogs. They were #1 in the nation and had just killed BYU. We barely escaped Central Florida 21-17. To whoever said they had rather lose to a great team than beat a sorry one, tell me this. Did u feel better about the FSU loss or the UCF win. I'll take the win anyday. The effort was there against State as we led 15-12 in the 4th. But again, A WIN IS A WIN!

Originally posted by gtfan1147:
Ahso, I agree completely. A win is a win. I feel so much better after a victory then I do an loss. For example, the 26-21 loss to FSU in 2000, I think we were 40 point dogs. They were #1 in the nation and had just killed BYU. We barely escaped Central Florida 21-17. To whoever said they had rather lose to a great team than beat a sorry one, tell me this. Did u feel better about the FSU loss or the UCF win. I'll take the win anyday. The effort was there against State as we led 15-12 in the 4th. But again, A WIN IS A WIN!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Fine, Drop Auburn and Drop UGA (since we'd feel bad about losing) and pick up and beat UCF and UConn every year. That way everyone feels good and our program can continue to draw few fans and make even fewer new fans. We can then tear down the new north stands and put a building to kick extra points into just like at the south end since we won't be needing the seats (Citadel doesn't travel many).

I have been to every home FSU game since they joined the ACC and went to one away game with an FSU buddy. Had a blast every time. I don't like to lose either, but I am mature enough to get over it. I did not attend the UCF game, but I had a great time at FSU. I like quality opposition, not pushovers.

JJacket, why should you jump on your high horse and say things like drop Auburn and UGA. Did you see me say anything like that?

Maybe, you should read my post again. Auburn and UGA are good rivalries and teams we should play. Did I say we should play all patsies? Come down off your high horse and read the post for what it really said.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Actually, JJacket, read all of the posts in this thread. None of us who like winning more than losing have suggested we drop UGA. Playing UGA is as much of what GT is about sports-wise as is the Wreck, Buzz, etc. And I don't mind playing Auburn home and home or UT home and home occasionally. But until we can consistantly win the 8 conference games we play every year, and thus earn our way into the BCS, I see no reason to wish that we played all three of them, and Alabama, and Florida, etc, every year. Perhaps you should read Dodd's Luck again, espically the part about why we didn't play LSU. As I recall he said that you would be crazy to go into that situation unless you had to. The old fox realized that scheduling who you play is every bit as important as how you play. VD also realized that, and has scheduled UGA's OOC games for maximum benefit with minimum risk.

In 1999, with perhaps the best player and the coaching staff we will ever see, a BCS bid all but assured, and a Heisman Trouphy in the bag, we lost to Wake Forest. And we lost to them again last year. So don't knock Wake, and please don't try and replace them with Alabama. This year we will face 4 ACC teams with potential to be in the top 10 (FSU, NCSU, UVA, UM - remember them, they killed UT in the Peach Bowl)- as you say, "Quailty opposition - not pushovers" - as well as an improved Duke team, a very well coached WFU team, and a dangerous Clemson team. UNC may be the only team we face that isn't better than it was last year. Will we be better than we were last year? If we win those 8 games, we are in a BCS bowl. Until we get there, consistantly, lets not worry about who we are not playing. If you can't live with that, and if you are not happy because you think that we are trying to get to the BCS by way of scheduling tricks rather than by playing winning football, then perhaps you should look around for a team that better fits your view of the way things should be. For example, UK or Vandy. Both play that SEC East schedule that you so crave, and have done so for a long time. I wonder why they don't have the a team full of 5 star recruits and the 85 k plus sold out crowds? Or you could try USC. As I said before, they bring in 85 k even for Vandy, win or lose. Williams-Brice rocks, tail gateing is great, and they hate UGA. But, even with all of their great facilities, their large offering of majors for SA's, their large number of beautiful co-eds, and their hall of fame coach, thay haven't come near a BCS bid. Good luck.

Y = Joy during football season
X1 = # wins over good team
X2 = # wins over poor team
X3 = # losses to good team
X4 = # losses to poor team
C = amount of alcohol consumed prior to game in oz

Y = 5*X1 + 2*X2 - 1*X3 - 7*X4 + C

R^2 = .91

I don't think I quoted your post, but if it would get schools like Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee back onto our schedule I would prefer to stay on my high horse. I also don't assume we would lose to these schools. I think playing them would add prestige to our program and help attract the recruits necessary to consistantly play at their level. I am, of course, not a big donor, nor am I qualified to be AD. But, you probably guessed that.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:

R^2 = .91
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Shouldn't C be squared in this equation?

JJacket, I would love to play UGA, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Alabama like we did "way back when". I would also like to play Tulane, Clemson, Duke, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky just like we did "way back when" as fill in games between the back breakers.

I don't think any D1 team can play 12 high ranked D1 teams every Saturday during the year and expect to have good records every year.

The few breathers during the year gives your team a chance to regroup before huge games, and gives your subs a chance to play and gain experience. Not the least, is the chance to fatten your record and go to a big bowl.

I bet no team could play 12 games during the season against 12 of the top 25 teams in the nation without losing some of the games.

wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by FHstinger:
TECH had Auburn beat in 1985, was ahead 14-10 and leading almost the entire game. Then, in the final minutes, Bo Jackson broke loose for a 75 yard TD run around the right end, headin' to the north end zone.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I thought that Bo ran South down the east (visitor) sidelines?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hd did and Jim Anderson was clipped on the play.

I remember that game - we had actually contained Bo all day, and you just had the feeling that he'd break one...Once he turned the corner it was all over...I think it was at least 70 yards as I recall, maybe 80 (?)

What a heartbreaker. I also believe the game ended with us unable to convert a cruicial 4th and 1 deep in Auburn territory.

Here are my 8 divisions (8 teams each)

PACIFIC
California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington State

MOUNTAIN
Air Force
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Colorado
Colorado State
New Mexico
Utah

GULF COAST
Arkansas
Baylor
LSU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

GREAT PLAINS
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas State
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Wisconsin

GREAT LAKES
Indiana
Kentucky
Michigan
Michigan State
ND
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

SOUTHERN
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
South Carolina
Tennessee

ATLANTIC
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
N.C. State
North Carolina
Virginia
Wake Forest

EASTERN
Boston College
Connecticut
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

Let each division winner qualify for the playoffs.

R^2 = .91
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ramblewise.. I owe you a beer for this post !!

Sports should be about competition. I would much rather us try to compete against UF than FU. Maybe our "high" academic standing is also because we set the bar so low.

Back