Tech and the 12-Team Playoff

Will Tech Make the CFP In the Next 15 Years?

• Total voters

EastboundJacket

Damn Good Rat
Considering that CBK has already crafted us into an absolute powerhouse now, what are your personal hopes and aspirations for the Jackets ending up in the 12-team playoff at some point in the next 15 years?

As a reminder, the playoff will include: "the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals. The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format." There's been talk of changing the model to include the top 5 top-ranked conference champions and the remaining 7 highest-ranked teams, but I don't believe that's been officially approved yet.

With either model, we would've obviously made the playoff in '09 when we won the ACC and again in 2014.

Can you see it happening in the years ahead?

As another reminder, the 12 team playoff and rules governing who goes in are only set for 2 years. After that we could go back to 4, go up to 16, or stay at 12 with it all committee selected.
Details, details...

way too many forthcoming changes in future to know. easiest path in would probably be to win the ACC. but if acc doesn't exist anymore, or loses auto qualifier status, harder sledding then.

The only way GT will get in is to get whatever automatic qualifier is there for us. We won’t get invited otherwise. Most if you will wake up to reality one day when your team gets left out. Then you’ll realize Sankey and the BIG control the whole thing. So, while you are having laughs at FSU you won’t be laughing when it happens to GT. Notice how 2 SEC teams and 2 BIG teams got in this year. It will be more of the same until it expands to 24 plus.

If ACC still exists in fifteen years, and we still play in it, and it still gets an autobid -- then yes. I do think we will win the ACC at some point in the next fifteen years.

My biggest question is who are we going to target on offense when Buster leaves (which will probably be next year)?

Just the way of things if you're running a successful program. If you hire anyone any good, you're going to have to replace them after a couple of years. I am sure Key has some ideas.

Why even bother following GT football if you voted no to this?

1705625103329.png

1705625103329.png
I’m gonna go a little deeper in my response:

People seem convinced GT will gain entry to the playoff by winning the ACC. Only 1 coach in the last 3 decades has won an outright ACC title at GT. He’s in the Hall of Fame and we had to vacate that title.

In addition: it’s highly likely the ACC sees drastic changes in the near future. When that happens playoff expansion is not likely but rather conference auto bids shrinking to the point that the non SEC and Big Ten schools have their own playoff system. The big conferences don’t want to share more money. It’ll be like an NIT NCAA tourney split. It may work out similarly where the Big Ten- SEC invitations becomes less popular than the NCAAT but at the point where they have both consumed 8-10 more large brands I doubt it.

So ultimately I see GT being relegated to the American or Sun Belt or Conference USA at which point we will not compete for the national title. Or at least the same playoff that’s being implied by this question.

1705625103329.png
What I want to know is how do fairly intelligent people vote yes. Can Tech make the playoff? Yes. Is there a no doubt, 100% certainty that Tech WILL make the playoff within the next 15 years? My analytical mind thinks it is doubtful. Would I be ecstatic if they made it? Hell Yeah Brother!

1705625103329.png

Because I am a glutton for punishment? :biggrin:

I hope that GT does make a future playoff. I just feel that it isn't likely. I don't see the structural setup at the school (admin, academics, etc.) changing much that would help athletics (even though Cabrera has made some moves to help) compete at the highest level. Even beyond that, I do not see GT alums/fans becoming suddenly generous with financial support that will put them on equal footing with the other teams near the top of the conference (assuming that the conference has the same member schools). Now that the players are essentially free agents to the highest bidder, I do not see GT being a participant in that to the level that the schools that exist to field a football team are and will continue to be.

Perhaps, the overall make up of college football will change from the current free-for-all approach. That may take several more years to shake out though.

1705625103329.png
The real question, and the motivation for the answer, is why bother following college football when everything seems so predetermined? To join crew in elaborating further, it's cause I think automatic in's are going to be gone after these 2 years and I see the odds of a bs committee putting us in to be minuscule.

I think the 12 team playoff will be good for college football because it will mean more teams have a chance. The one thing that I think needs work is the stupid strength of schedule calculation. I need to know more. It seems to me that it is a self perpetuating process that rates SEC and BigI teams highly in the preseason and as a result they get high ratings all season based on preseason ratings. This is not Pro football where you play 35% of the field during the season.

You cannot tell me the SOS calc does not favor the SEC and hurt the ACC. Prove to me it doesn't if you can. It needs to throw out preseason ratings somehow - there have to be some Tech quants or other quants that can figure this out. Hell, I can't but I could sure hire them when I was working. Just had to give them some direction as to what is important in the number crunching and preseason ratings should not be a factor.

Back