Tech and the 12-Team Playoff

Will Tech Make the CFP In the Next 15 Years?

• Total voters
What I want to know is how do fairly intelligent people vote yes. Can Tech make the playoff? Yes. Is there a no doubt, 100% certainty that Tech WILL make the playoff within the next 15 years? My analytical mind thinks it is doubtful. Would I be ecstatic if they made it? Hell Yeah Brother!

So you don't understand how fairly intelligent people can vote "yes" because there is no a no doubt, 100% certainty that it will happen.

But you yourself acknowledge that there is a chance that it happens -- which means that there isn't a no doubt, 100% certainty that "no" will happen either. So how could a fairly intelligent person vote no?

Thus we an arrive at the conclusion that anyone voting in a StingTalk pole must be an idiot.

In 15 years, maybe 10, maybe 5, college football will bear very little resemblance to what it is today. I don’t know what it will look like, but it will be difference. Maybe GT will be in the group playing for championships, maybe not.

The playoff does not favor Tech. The top teams recruit or purchase four and five star players across the board, two deep. Winning three or four games by us is so improbable now. The sad thing is PJ’S offense was built for these playoffs.
As a Tech fan, I was stoked with the hope for that special season where we could win it all. I don’t see it ever happening for the rest of my lifetime.
However I love what Key is doing and one day I hope I am wrong.

The real question, and the motivation for the answer, is why bother following college football when everything seems so predetermined? To join crew in elaborating further, it's cause I think automatic in's are going to be gone after these 2 years and I see the odds of a bs committee putting us in to be minuscule.
Ok, I gotta respond. The entire sport has been pre-determined since it started. College football is WAY better today than at any point in its history because the champion actually has to win it on the field. Are you saying having journalism majors pick the Natty wasn‘t pre-determined? The bowl games were predetermined every year for 80 years. Remember 1990 when #1 Colorado was matched up with ND because the Orange Bowl locked in ND in freaking October! These predetermined matchups gave us New Years Day games of pure garbage #1 vs. #6, #2 vs. #5, etc. Does no one remember those days? Those days sucked and nostalgia for the old days doesn’t change that those games blew.

The BCS and the 4 team playoff gets 4 top tier teams playing each other. Let’s face it, if this were 40 years ago the champion would have been determined by how many arms Bama and Michigan could twist in news rooms. Washington and Texas would have had no shot due to votes in the south and Midwest being way more plentiful. The 12 team will be fun even though we agree that it will be BIG vs. SEC. Once it goes to 24 plus then the GT’s will get an invite when we have our magical years. The portal and NIL will work itself out over time and become the norm. I still don’t understand the amount of hand wringing going on about them. The big boys have been buying players for decades and no one cared so I don’t know why folks are freaking out now. UGa bought Herschel decades ago, Auburn bought Cam a while back, and Miami bought Ward this year. What’s the big deal now? As for the portal, go where you want. We took Choice in decades ago as a transfer and took King in last year and more this year. What’s the issue?

Ok, I gotta respond. The entire sport has been pre-determined since it started. College football is WAY better today than at any point in its history because the champion actually has to win it on the field. Are you saying having journalism majors pick the Natty wasn‘t pre-determined? The bowl games were predetermined every year for 80 years. Remember 1990 when #1 Colorado was matched up with ND because the Orange Bowl locked in ND in freaking October! These predetermined matchups gave us New Years Day games of pure garbage #1 vs. #6, #2 vs. #5, etc. Does no one remember those days? Those days sucked and nostalgia for the old days doesn’t change that those games blew.

The BCS and the 4 team playoff gets 4 top tier teams playing each other. Let’s face it, if this were 40 years ago the champion would have been determined by how many arms Bama and Michigan could twist in news rooms. Washington and Texas would have had no shot due to votes in the south and Midwest being way more plentiful. The 12 team will be fun even though we agree that it will be BIG vs. SEC. Once it goes to 24 plus then the GT’s will get an invite when we have our magical years. The portal and NIL will work itself out over time and become the norm. I still don’t understand the amount of hand wringing going on about them. The big boys have been buying players for decades and no one cared so I don’t know why folks are freaking out now. UGa bought Herschel decades ago, Auburn bought Cam a while back, and Miami bought Ward this year. What’s the big deal now? As for the portal, go where you want. We took Choice in decades ago as a transfer and took King in last year and more this year. What’s the issue?
Hey man, hand wringing is what we do. We did it in grade school, we did it in high school, we did it at GT and we will do it for the rest of our lives. You have some nerve coming here and talking about our hand wringing.

The playoff does not favor Tech.

Nothing favors Tech.

This isn't anything new. However, I never thought 1990 would happen, yet I was fortunate enough to be there for it, and that was more far fetched at the time than things are now.

I mean it’s kind of inevitable right? Had that 2014 team won the ACC in this format, they would’ve made the playoffs. 2009 the same.

Odds are no. We can't be top 12 in pay-for-play college football.

However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some megadonor buying us a top team.

Odds are no. We can't be top 12 in pay-for-play college football.

However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some megadonor buying us a top team.

Could you explain why? What would you place the odds at? Honest questions.

Could you explain why? What would you place the odds at? Honest questions.
Here's my argument based on rough estimates floating around in my mind. Football teams need about 20-30 great players to win championships. There are probably 30 or so universities that have an order of magnitude more resources than us. So multiplying the numbers, those teams can afford to buy almost the top 1,000 football players. There will be exceptions--we get a guy because he wants to be close to home, or we overpay and get a great player at a specific position, or we scout talent well and get someone who is undervalued--but there won't be 30 exceptions, more like 5 or 6. Worse, there are like 50+ universities with similar financials to us that we have to compete with. So we'll be at a chronic, large personnel disadvantage. Maybe 90% of our players will be mediocre.

15 years, maybe some years we overperform, but to be top 12 we have to outperform like 70% of teams with better players than us (again since ~30 are way more resourced than us) and then like 90% of the teams with similar resources. That seems highly unlikely to me.

Paul Johnson managed to make the cut twice in 11 years. But that is (a) in a college-football environment that is like 10x more competitive for us, (b) with a talent-equalizing offense, and (c) with great players he inherited in one of the two years.

So I'd guess the odds we hit the top 12 once in 15 years, maybe 20-25%. But that is only because we get 15 shots.

Nothing favors Tech.

This isn't anything new. However, I never thought 1990 would happen, yet I was fortunate enough to be there for it, and that was more far fetched at the time than things are now.
Most folks have no idea what unbelievable circumstances and behind the scenes negotiating it took for GT to be a Co-Champ that year. Someday I may write a book on it. This is why I’m so perplexed that modern day GT fans just go along with the company line put forth by the SEC, ESPN, and NCAA. I guess it simply comes down to no one looks at history and truly understands how today came about. The most important person in GT’s 1990 Natty is Homer Rice. The work he put in between the clock hitting :00 in Orlando and the coaches poll being released was amazing but should have never been needed. But the corrupt system so badly wanted to anoint a western team and the clergyman McCarthy but thankfully Rice knew enough arms to twist and Ross was viewed kindly by the coaching fraternity. And it still came down to 1 vote. 1 vote and we would be hearing “1952” every freaking day. It had nothing to do with the play on the field. GT was clearly better than Colorado but there was no way the media was going to let an unranked team crash their party. Once the playoffs expand again and we can actually get an invite then we’ll have a fair shot without having to worry about media members or polls.

Here's my argument based on rough estimates floating around in my mind. Football teams need about 20-30 great players to win championships. There are probably 30 or so universities that have an order of magnitude more resources than us. So multiplying the numbers, those teams can afford to buy almost the top 1,000 football players. There will be exceptions--we get a guy because he wants to be close to home, or we overpay and get a great player at a specific position, or we scout talent well and get someone who is undervalued--but there won't be 30 exceptions, more like 5 or 6. Worse, there are like 50+ universities with similar financials to us that we have to compete with. So we'll be at a chronic, large personnel disadvantage. Maybe 90% of our players will be mediocre.

15 years, maybe some years we overperform, but to be top 12 we have to outperform like 70% of teams with better players than us (again since ~30 are way more resourced than us) and then like 90% of the teams with similar resources. That seems highly unlikely to me.

Paul Johnson managed to make the cut twice in 11 years. But that is (a) in a college-football environment that is like 10x more competitive for us, (b) with a talent-equalizing offense, and (c) with great players he inherited in one of the two years.

So I'd guess the odds we hit the top 12 once in 15 years, maybe 20-25%. But that is only because we get 15 shots.

Thanks for the reply. Don't disagree with the logic. I like the stronger schedule as I feel it will ultimately make a 'good team great, and I think we now have a good team and coach, and will continue to be more and more competitive with each challenge. In due time, there is no reason why we should not be in the top 12 in next 15 years. Hell, I'd take about 50 teams in the next 15 years, so 25% seems a little low imo

As inevitable as an undefeated ACC team making the playoff over 1 loss teams?
Sure, but that’s the 4 team playoff where nothing is guaranteed. The 12 team playoff, the 5 highest ranking conference champs will make it.

I think we will, if the 12 team playoffs still exist. I don't think they will. CFB is imploding

Sure, but that’s the 4 team playoff where nothing is guaranteed. The 12 team playoff, the 5 highest ranking conference champs will make it.
1705805502969.gif

So you don't understand how fairly intelligent people can vote "yes" because there is no a no doubt, 100% certainty that it will happen.

But you yourself acknowledge that there is a chance that it happens -- which means that there isn't a no doubt, 100% certainty that "no" will happen either. So how could a fairly intelligent person vote no?

Thus we an arrive at the conclusion that anyone voting in a StingTalk pole must be an idiot.
But will the Mets make the playoffs in the next 15 years? Be honest. No. No they won’t. :lol2:

As for GT, we finally have leadership that wants to win. Hopefully we can make that happen.

Back