"Tech Football loses at least 4 more scollys" AJC

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
\"Tech Football loses at least 4 more scollys\" AJC

Saturday's AJC has Tech admitting that the violations were "major" and officials are offering to increase the number of scholarship cuts from 4 to 6 per year "at least".

If Braine survives this we are all idiots with a "kick me" sign on our backs.

BOO

Re: \"Tech Football loses at least 4 more scollys\" AJC

This is extremely poor negotiating imo. A program as clean and productive as ours...and with tight academic restrictions...should have been able to keep the restrictions much softer.

extremely poor negotiating.

It's time that someone pay the price, be it Clough, Brainless, or CCG. If you are going to dance it's time to pay the fiddler. We pay mega bucks for this type of guidance, I still believe that Brainless and Clough are still gobblers in there heart and have no allegiance to the real Tech in this conference.

This has zero to do with CCG in case you are not familiar with the details.

This is about academic counselors not knowing what classes to put athletes in across multiple sports.

The pathetic negotiating falls on the AD's office.

it\'s not just 4 more ...

we initially proposed 8 scholarship cuts.

we've already taken care of half of those with last year's class by not signing more than 21.

we were supposed to lose only 4 more and we would have covered it by not signing more than 21 this year.

now, we're saying we won't sign more than 19 this year and not more than 19 next year also!

that means we lose at least 8 more scholarships, technically speaking.

only positive sign is that we don't lose any from the 85 total scholarships.

at this point, we don't need to sign more than 19 in both this year and next year's class .. but there is not much breathing room for academic losses, early departures to the NFL or people just plain quitting and leaving the team.

oh .. all this is supposing that the NCAA agrees to our penalties. if they want, they could increase these penalties. worst case, they could lower the 85 number and that would really hurt.

Re: it\'s not just 4 more ...

As is usually the case with Braine, not all the facts have, or will, be released to the alumni and general public. I smell smoke in all these tidbits of info and quotes coming out of the GTAA. This could end up being an even bigger mess than it already is. Braine should resign. If he chooses to stay....then he should be released of his duties.
This has become a series of mistakes that could have, and should have been noticed and corrected long ago, and Braine is supposed to be the man in charge.

And while Braine is squarely in the middle of this, Gailey and his casual way of managing his players and their academic requirements, also allowed it to go on under his sleeping nose without ever asking the questions that needed to be asked as head coach. The next coach will suffer from this more than Gailey.

BOO

Re: it\'s not just 4 more ...

BDG...as usual you do not know what you are talking about...and want to try anything to connect to CG. Firstly, is it not obvious to you that this was across multiple sports?

This was a case of players taking classes recommended by an academic counselor...even during the O'Leary era...that this person thought would count towards academic progress towards a degree. It was discovered much later...after the fact...and across multiple sports...that these classes did not count. When they were backed out of the equation that meant the athlete did not pass enough hours to be eligible in particular years. This DOES NOT mean the kid would have flunked out....they would have just taken other classes to remain eligible.

This is simply poor academic counseling across all of the GT sports by Carole Moore's dept. under the leadership of Dave Braine. Changes have been made now and I bet this will not be a problem...but these infractions stem back to incidents as far back as the late 90's.

HiverT, since you know it all, then lets discuss what a HC should do. He should be looking at all his players, grades, course management, class attendance, progress to a degree etc. So pray tell how on gods green earth do you get the statement that CCG has 0 to do with this? He may have had little, alot or none to do with this fiasco, but you don't know that nor do I. Why is he not looking or having an assistant look into the previously mentioned statement. On this you do not need to try to protect CCG. He will either be innocent, partially, or guilty. At worst he should be looking at grades etc.

you\'re the know it all oldfoggy

you're the real know it all here.

ok .. let's say you're right in this instance. this whole infractions thing is the Head Coach's fault.

the only problem is that it happened *before* Gailey was HC here. that is why people are saying that this has ZERO to do with Gailey.

so if you do need to fault the head coach in these infractions due to which we will shortly be put on probation, please fault O'Leary.

thanks

Re: you\'re the know it all oldfoggy

How on earth did you get through Tech? I never said it was CCG's fault. LEARN to READ YLO!!!! I stated that CCG or he should have had an assistant checking on his players, I also said that it may not be his fault, partially, or guilty. I also stated that I don't know but of course you do since you are such a BMOC. I'm beginning to think you did not graduate from Tech nor can you read. I get pretty tired of your BS. You twist, you turn and then if that does not suit you then you lie. Now get back in the hole you crawled out of.

sorry oldfoggy ..

you asked someone how could he state that Gailey had zero to do with this infractions issue.

the answer is because he wasn't here when this crap happened.

that's the bottomline.

i got through Tech because it has become easier than what it was in the 50s .. yeah, that must be the answer.

Re: sorry oldfoggy ..

YLO, I do not know if the Huntsville Times is correct nor do I know if the AUC is correct but if either or both are correct this mess started in 2001 and continued until 2004, by golly I do believe CCG was here part of no make that the majority of the time. If those dates are not correct then how about you posting the correct dates of the infraction.

it started in 2001

it started in 2001.
it was found out in summer 2003.
the tipster reported it in jan 2004.
there were athletes ineligible even then but their eligibility was restored.

this crap had been going on well before Gailey got here. this has zero to do with him. this is not O'Leary's fault either.

this has to do with improper training of the ex-registrar and the academic advising staff.

Tech and the NCAA have both agreed that this was inadvertent.

Re: it started in 2001

Then my statement was correct 2001 to and maybe through 2004. Also that makes my statement about CCG correct. He should have been monitoring his SAs! I am not blaming CCG or GOL at all, but until ALL the facts are known then no one, that includes CCG, Hall etc, can be excluded.

umm .. i made a mistake

Knobler is right, it is at least 4 more.

we signed only 19 in the class of 2005. that's 6 less in 2005.

we've proposed the penalty to be able to sign only 19 in the class of 2006. the class of 2006 is this year's recruiting class, which will sign their LOIs in Feb 2006.

we don't need more than 19 this year, unless we lose more folks to academics.

oldfoggy, i respectfully disagree that Gailey or any other head coach had anything to do with the eligibility issue. i understand that you want to hold it to his head. that's your prerogative.

OF...you are not thinking big picture here. Yes...the players that were on the team (football, track, tennis, etc.) between those years were TECHNICALLY ineligible because of coursework taken earlier in their career (early as the late 90's). The counselors instructed that they were on the right path...but they were not. If they had enrolled in another class and passed they would have been fine.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out where this breakdown is...and that area has been addressed. As far as how Braine handled/handles the overall situation is still subject to debate.

The coaches job is to help ensure the players behave properly off the field, ensure they attend the classes they are enrolled in, ensure they study for those classes, ensure they hit the weightroom and stay conditioned in the offseason, ensure they hit the training table, handle practices, handle games, handle game preparation, recruiting/suck up to high school kids year round, handle the media, handle good alumni, handle whiney alumni, etc. I think that is enough to deal with.

Thanks hiveredtech, ylojk8, and others for......

making the situation clearer (in my mind) and I am sure to others.
OldFoggy, I know your heart is pointed in the right direction. In my oft misdirected opinion, you stand ready (from our prior, several talks) to see something ugly on Chan. I have never held this against you, because I know that your ultimate desire is Georgia Tech Success!!!! That too, is the desire of most all of us. Ghost, if you want Tech to succeed in f.b., then you have camofalaged it well. I decided long ago, not to respond to you, but here it is: I am slipping again. If there is anyway to say this in a respectful manner I would, but in all honesty, you remind me of the "hounds of hell". They are "sicced" upon anyone/anything that is of a good and rightous nature. My brother, I am convinced that neither of us will ever change. Doggone, I just wish I were as persistly for the Georgia Tech football program (as it is) as you are against it. I am so thankful the entire thing is not in any of our hands.
OldFoggy knows from where I come. Personally, he cannot get over the way I think Bud Carson was given a raw deal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. We have hashed this out and remain (even grow as) friends. It should be so with all on this board, but my spirit is troubled almost every time I come to visit.
I am so greatful for those faithful intelligent, football knowledgeable posters who keep the brush fires contained. You all are to be given great accolades!!!

HT, Unfortunately I am looking at the big picture. As I stated until the facts are known then no one Clough, Brain(less) or CCG or other unknown person(s) can be excluded. At this moment in time no one knows the entire truth, neither, you, I or even out local know it all YLO! So until the total facts come out I have no opinion as to the real problem. I get snipets from the local rag, the AUC and the Telegraph. You probably get the same maybe a little more but I bet not much. Do I hold CCG responsible at this point no. Do I hold Braine(less) my feelings are 90% that he and/or one of his cohorts are the responsible parties. Is Clough also responsible, you betya, he is after all the head man.

Who ever is doing or has done the lying concerning this situtation should never be allowed even on campus at Tech be it Braine or other unidentified person or persons

OF in this case you are wrong. It has been debated endlessley on these boards, and admitted to be Clough and Braine that Gailey was not allowed access to player academic records when he started. O'Leary was allowed to be involved but when he left that was changed. For a coach to look at player records when he is explicitly prohibited by school policy and without the consent of the players is illegal. BTW, the things that are evidently at play here are the kinds of things coaches wouldn't know about anyway more than likely. If we need our coaches to understand all the in's and out's of academic scheduling, how to change majors, what courses a player has to petition to have credit applied for, etc., we need way more coaches than the NCAAs allows. Be upset with Clough, Moore, Braine, whoever the registrar was, etc., but this one wasn't Gailey. Or if it was he really screwed the track team too since they were also involved.

Back