Tech has commitments from 3 of Ga's Top 50

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech has commitments from 3 of Ga\'s Top 50

Ball (1 of 2 GT commits from Super Southern Top100), Roberson & Wrotto. Wheeler belongs on this list as a 2 time 1st team all-state in Class AAAA. It does not appear that GT will get any more from the Top50. There are many more in this group that could meet GT's academic requirements. I do hope we can pull, at least, 1 more from this group, but it's not looking good. It appears this will go down as GT's least amount from the Top50 & from the state in over a decade.
We haven't done bad in recruiting out of state, but we haven't done good either. We have a short list of good, solid players. Not the makeup to get us to a Gator Bowl, but they should get us to the Seattle Bowl &, perhaps, the Continental. That's just the way it is NOW. We need many more players this yr & next yr. Maybe some will be of the Championship variety.

Georgia's Top 50

Re: Tech has commitments from 3 of Ga\'s Top 50

Brad,
I wish I had the acumen to post that

Originally posted by GT Ace:

We haven't done bad in recruiting out of state, but we haven't done good either. We have a short list of good, solid players. Not the makeup to get us to a Gator Bowl, but they should get us to the Seattle Bowl &, perhaps, the Continental. That's just the way it is NOW. We need many more players this yr & next yr. Maybe some will be of the Championship variety.

[/URL]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">"That's just the way it is NOW" sounds like your opinion is down right fact when it's not. Realize you were talking about where we are in recruiting at this point with that statement. It's your opinion. The truth is we know very little about any of these players we're recruiting. That's the truth here and NOW. In all honesty we don't know how far this group can take us. You really truly believe that based on your knowledge of the recruits that have verbaled to GT you know what type of bowl game they can take us too?

Do believe you hit the nail on the head regarding we need more players. We're not done with recruiting this year.

What we need is to recruit high profile players like Hobie Holiday, Albert Poree, and Brandon Summers (SP?). Those are the types that win championships huh? If only we could have landed big time recruits like the young man Jasper Sanks that signed with UGA. Nothing against any of these young men. There is just so much more that goes into a great college football player than any top 50, top 100, or how many stars a recruiting service gives them.

I'm excited as anyone when we get a high profile player. Really am big time. It's guys like Keith Brooking that work their tails off that make Championship teams in my mind.

Go Jackets!

That's the whole point GTT, it's just an opinion. No better, no worse than yours. I feel the baseball team will compete for the national championship. Why? Because we brought in terrific 4 & 5 star players & have good coaching. Just my opinion. Yours may differ & that's fine.
I feel the basketball will compete for a championship soon. Why? Because we brought in terrific 4 & 5 star players & have good coaching. Just my opinion, yours may differ & that's fine.
I feel we have a good ways to go in football to compete for a championship. Why? Just my opinion & yours may differ & that's fine.
A couple of weeks ago I had an opinion that Brezina & Wrotto would play OL. Just a good opinion. MasterB & others really criticized this opinion. 2-3 days later MasterB publically apologized to me as my opinion now seemed most likely. Some opinions are right on, some miss by a mile.
There are NO facts when stating an opinion of what may happen in the future, not by anybody. I can't tell u for fact that I'll get to work tomorrow, but my opinion is that I'll be at my business by 8am.

I agree with you GT Ace, we all verbalize our opinions on what we see and feel about almost everything. That's why we have these boards, it's an outlet to do so. If you have concerns, you are entitled to those concerns.

It's funny, I subscribe to a recruiting site and have for the last 10 years. Is it the "tell all" as to how our team will do ... absolutely not, but it gives you a barometer as to the strides you as a football/basketball program has made when you read who has you on their list.

you are a broken record. Again, you continue to print wrong info, probably to further your arguement.

Grant and Ball are both Super Southern 100.

Why don't you wait until the recruiting season is over before you have a (knee jerk) reaction like you are. What's the point of griping over it? Are you looking for support to fry this coaching staff later? IS there NO chance for them to succeed?

No offense, but we went over this yesterday on the Hive ALL freaking day and now your back again moaning some more. Shut up already.

Edited part: by the way, did you ever consider that those players that got us to the Gator Bowl in 1998 and 1999 were hardly recognized in recruiting. Joe Hamilton had an offer from Nebraska and that's about it. No one thought much of him as a QB, and he wasn;t highly touted. Most of that team was a bunch of nobody's that were not highly regarded on any recruiting front with maybe the exception of a handful. YOU ARE PUTTING WAY TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON RECRUITING!!! Get over it.

BoR, why not talk about the facts TODAY? Why not discuss recruiting TODAY? What's wrong with it? These are the facts TODAY. They can go up, down or sideways tomorrow & would u be opposed to chatting about them tomorrow also?
Why are u griping about a simple post? Are u looking for support for this staff now? Is there NO chance they can fail?
No offense, but many here on this board have not had a chance to discuss this particular thread. If u don't want to add your intelligent additions, then don't.
Btw, I have a business to run, 1 kid in college, 2 more in college in Aug & a wife who likes to do things. Recruiting problems are WAY down my list of things to think about. That's why I may only post on Hive once a week(weekends) & more often here(mainly weekends). And I sure don't criticize any other poster who cares about GT, ever.

BOR: yes, there are unheralded recruits who become top players. And yes, there are 4 star recruits who never become top players. But to dismiss recruiting as a vital ingredient of success is irrational and irresponsible. Good coaching and raw talent are BOTH important.

Your posts here, and on the Hive, that are critical of others making premature judgements about recruiting are valid. I'm not making a judgement about our 2003 recruiting class until signing day, and even then it will be a preliminary judgement that can only be confirmed as the next several years evolve. But to state that "recruiting is overrated" is silly. If it is overrated, why do coaching staffs bust their a**es doing it? Why don't they just skip recruiting alltogether and hold open tryouts every Spring.

BOR, too much emphasis on recruiting? Maybe, especially considering the impact of coaching, but let's remain realistic about recruiting's importance...since in FACT, speed and height can not be coached.

IMO you are right on about "only a handful" from our previous classes being highly recruited, but it IS that handful that really made a difference. As for Joe, he was in fact highly recruited and could have gone to several D-1 programs. THWG

Until signing day, no one will know for sure, but all evidence points toward a complete bust in recruiting. I thought we would at least compete in state for those Georgia left over, but we aren't in the running for the top talent. There will be attempts to whitewash this with silence but in the end, on the field, is where all the arguments will be settled. I've moved on past Gailey, and feel bad that the next coach will have to completely start rebuilding from the ground up in 04.

which class is better than this years class?

We may have one of the best QB's, RB's and LB's to ever play at GT in this class.

now I would like to see warm bodies to fill out the numbers however this years quality looks on par to what we always have

y'all wait there are still some very highly rated players we are still in on. If we get Scott, Thompson, Hall, and Taylor why this would be a great class as opposed to what we usually do! Just wait and see although I have seen a few names banded about that would definately change my opinion.

Somebody remind me, how many of the Ga top 50 did we get in '99 or '00? I don't remember too many but it may just be my fading memory.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Somebody remind me, how many of the Ga top 50 did we get in '99 or '00? I don't remember too many but it may just be my fading memory.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">\

LOL! I'm trying to remember if recruiting season has EVER been fun! This is the time of year that dogs are so unbearable. We get our turn later. (Oops, sorry for the optimism, those of you who feel that you're getting "bashed' when the rest of us are not tossing dirt on our heads and wailing in the town square.)

Ncjacket, we don't ever sign too many top what ever by the so called gurus. What have been signing are those guys with the offers from the top 25 programs. Thats really the only criteria to go by. Say if a kid has an offer from Vandy, Duke, Valdosta St. Furman then thats not what we want. If a kid has 4 offers and one happens to be say Florida then thats okay. I would be proud of that commit. If a kid say has offers from Fl.,Fsu, GA. Auburn, Tenn., and we get him then I try to do my holoken boloken flip! If we get the that first kid i talked about above then we at least beat out those teams for him. By the way there is a tall thin tite end that has been mentioned with us. No one major is linked with him except his parents ect. I wasn't to thrilled that we may have to settle for giving him a ship., but then I think of Will Heller. The same kind of kid who lo and behold grew UP. It realls is what the coaches do with em once they're on campus, but the more with those top offers that you sign the better shape your program will be in. And that is a BIG FAT FACT!!!! The rec services are just entertainment!!!

You can'tmake chicken salad out of chicken @#$%. The larger problem is do we have the position coaches, OC, DC or HC to make these players better? Me thinks not!

Macdaddy, it looks like we will find out that aspect of it next year, but recruiting is THE LIFILINE of the program. We need to sign some players that a lot of tpo programs want then the coaching comes into play.

Great quote pulled from the HIVE by GirderBenderDawg:
"Look at who else has offered a kid and who else a kid has set up visits with. Some kids don't go to the Nike Combines before their SR years or don't make All-Star lists their JR years so the recruiting services may not find them til late. But the area collegiate recruiters generally find them.

A good example of that is Carlton Medder who is a UGA commit (on most days). He was offered by Miami, FSU, UF and UGA but wasn't even listed in the Rivals database (much less ranked) until after his UGA visit in mid December. That's when they found out about him.

There are always exceptions like Jonathan Smith, Tony Gilbert, Randy McMichael and Keith Brooking who weren't recruited by hardly anyone but turned out to be college studs. there are also Sterling Boyds, Patrick Passes and Hobie Holidays that don't pan out, but are highly ranked and highly recruited. But if you want a good snapshot into how your school is doing just look at who else is offering.

If you're going against Top 10 programs for kids that's a good sign. If you're REGULARLY going against teams like Baylor, SMU, Wake, Toledo, TCU, Vandy, Miami-OH and Ball State that's a bad sign.

One caveat....it doesn't matter if you're going against top 10 teams if you aren't beating them. Coming in 2nd in recruiting is useless.

Bottomline -- Ratings are meaningless anyway."...end of quote
BOO

no offense BDG, but this is the very same thing I just wrote right above. Just worded different. I have been saying the same thing for about 2 months now

techrod, thanks for the response. Your answer was what I remembered, that even when we had our "great" recruiting years under O'L it was more about the kids than the rankings. I agree that if we are taking kids who Ga, Fl, Tn, TX, etc. are after it says a lot. Even if a kid is a late bloomer who is getting interest from some of the big schools it means more than that they are ranked a 1-star or NR by rivals. And anyway, they will be re-ranking everybody sometime soon anyway so who really knows how our current guys will finish in the ratings sweepstakes?

Back