Tech Must Improve or Drop Sports

The worst decision ever made was to leave the SEC.
I’d argue the stadium expansion was the worst. The debt load has hamstrung the GTAA for the past 20-ish years, and the coach they were trying to woo ended up leaving / being fired for fraud regardless.

I do get the feeling on the board that most would rather older Tech fans either go away or shut up. Perhaps we need to purge the fan base of everyone who is ever unhappy with the program and was alive when Bobby Dodd coached. It may be a necessary step to change the culture.
It's all in how you frame it. Grand, sweeping statements and radical solutions to boring-but-serious problems are not new or exclusively wielded by the infirm. When you use your age in an attempt to give your opinions more credibility than my own or anyone else's, your chances of being taken seriously are not good.

I’d argue the stadium expansion was the worst. The debt load has hamstrung the GTAA for the past 20-ish years, and the coach they were trying to woo ended up leaving / being fired for fraud regardless.
We probably only ended up in the crap situation with our stadium as a long-term result of leaving the SEC.

In the time since Dodd has been gone from Tech:
1990 Football National Champions
1990 men’s Final Four
2004 men’s Final Four and played for championship
Women’s Tennis National Champions (Tech’s first and only NCAA national championship)
Numerous college World Series Appearances
Men’s and Women’s basketball have been in NCAA tourney

Uga hasn’t had a football national championship since we have.

Uga men’s basketball team has never made the final four or played for the championship

tenor.gif

Stadium expansion? You are aware that Bobby Dodd Stadium at one time seated about 80,000 when it was a horseshoe.

My Daddy started taking me to Tech games in 1957, when I was 7 years old. I have been a Tech fan all my life. I do not find any joy in writing this. I am very invested in this program.

Specifically, I do not mean this as a personal criticism of any administrator, coach or anybody else.

However, in my life, I have seen Tech go from a time when people could not buy tickets to a time when you cannot give tickets away. I have seen Tech go from being one of the most respected programs in the nation to being nothing short of a total joke.

We do not have any leadership that has accomplished anything to give me hope. I think our football coach is in way over his head. I do not believe he will recruit much better than past coaches, and I do not think he is a competent head coach. In short, with him running the football program, I think Tech is doomed.

I think our basketball coach is worse than incompetent. The things that have happened under his "watch" should never be tolerated. We would be better off with a student coach with a strong sense of right and wrong than with our present coach. I wish him the best, but I hope it will happen somewhere else. Maybe he was just not paying attention, but that is itself enough reason for him to be fired.

I feel better about baseball and some other sports, but with dismal, hopeless football and basketball regimes, the other sports will not survive.

None of this speaks well of our Athletic Director. He seems like a good man, but his decisions on coaches have been catastrophic. I don't have any confidence in him, either.

So, to keep from continuing to make a mockery of Tech's proud athletic history, we need to either make a ton of changes to rescue our sports program or we need to drop sports. The people in charge of the Institute must make the decision: Fully support this proud program or put it out of its misery. I hate that it has come to this, but it has.

I know the people on this board will ridicule my views and make fun of me for being an old man living in the past. Well, I have about the same level of respect for them and their views as they have for me and mine. I don't think they know what they're talking about. Maybe, if they had more historical perspective, they would at least tolerate and respect my feelings. But, of course, they don't.

By the way, we don't need Paul Johnson. He couldn't get it done. We need people like Bobby Dodd, Bobby Ross, Whack Hyder, Bobby Cremins, Homer Rice, and Bill Curry. We need integrity, leadership and excellence. We need the "A Team."

Delete this right now, fam

Fake news. Averaged well over 50k attendance for many years after 2003. Bowl game every year. 4 ACC Championship games, one championship. It was absolutely the right decision to be made at the time. Should have been implemented differently but it was the right call. Our attendance slide was only significantly pronounced the last 3 years.

Is Hewitt still cashing checks from Tech?

I feel your pain Ciraldo. But don't despair too much. I really believe college football itself is about to undergo a major change and its time. We need to separate the pros from the student athletes and that will determine the best course forward for Tech. You are absolutely correct about the mediocrity of the Institutes administration, both athletically and in total. This will not change without better leadership from the top. But don't give up the fight quite yet.

I do get the feeling on the board that most would rather older Tech fans either go away or shut up. Perhaps we need to purge the fan base of everyone who is ever unhappy with the program and was alive when Bobby Dodd coached. It may be a necessary step to change the culture.

I don't get that feeling at all. The only fans that need to shut up for the good of the program are the johnsonians and scheme only fans. Of course, we know those fans will only bitch and moan instead of donating.

The worst decision ever made was to leave the SEC. That was the beginning of this downward trend and the football program hasn’t been the same since. But, we are in the perfect region to be successful. If you really pay attention to our recruiting under Collins, we are competing against almost all of the major colleges in the south East for recruits. Collins has already proved, he can get better talent then has been here in the past 25 years. Now he just has to prove that he can coach....and if that happens it could take years. Don’t over react. I have faith

While never being on one of his teams, I've been around a lot of guys coached up by him. They were all very well coached, fundamental guys.

In the time since Dodd has been gone from Tech:
1990 Football National Champions
1990 men’s Final Four
2004 men’s Final Four and played for championship
Women’s Tennis National Champions (Tech’s first and only NCAA national championship)
Numerous college World Series Appearances
Men’s and Women’s basketball have been in NCAA tourney

Uga hasn’t had a football national championship since we have.

Uga men’s basketball team has never made the final four or played for the championship
UGA made the final four basketball in the early 80s. They won the college world series in the late eighties.

I don't get that feeling at all. The only fans that need to shut up for the good of the program are the johnsonians and scheme only fans. Of course, we know those fans will only bitch and moan instead of donating.

The fans that need to shut up are the fans that bring up Johnson, good or bad.

We are in the state we are in because our fans want to throw in the towel rather than open the pocketbooks.

No. We are in the state we are in because we don’t have enough fans.

Generally bad to mediocre performance over the past 50 years coupled with terrible marketing and PR has cost us generations of fans.

Back