Tech Must Improve or Drop Sports

I think the set of individuals is larger than the subset you specify. The full umbrella can best be described as defeatists that think we can't compete, and within those you have scheme-specific fanatics along with the dropping to DIV2/FCS crowd. Collins has to rehabilitate the battered wife syndrome "It will never get better" defeatists, all of them.

Amen

I’d like to hear your long form expression of this argument. Because it sounds stupid the way you put it. We need all the fans we can get and these guys saw the glory of what we could be. No reason to get rid of them.

Sounds like he was joking, duuuuude

we should abolish all competitive sports and non-competitive sports. we are a world class research institute. who needs sports when you can do things like discover water on a distant planet, something something something who cares georgia lost bigly tonight and them dawgs can go to hell.

8B56600D-D162-49B9-8404-8DD54ED83AB4.jpeg

What the öööö is this öööö?

You obviously never took a class at GT nor ever stepped on an athletic field. Our guys could lose every game every year and I would still be there. Because I am a Georgia Tech fan.

Sidewalk fan here. Sorry, but this mentality is why mediocrity in the top sports continues to be tolerated. I completely see your point of not being a fair-weather fan, but that doesn’t equal putting up with mediocrity. Force your leaders to be better. So many terrible decisions have been made the last 10-15 years if not longer across the board. You can still show up AND demand they be much, much, much better.

I do get the feeling on the board that most would rather older Tech fans either go away or shut up. Perhaps we need to purge the fan base of everyone who is ever unhappy with the program and was alive when Bobby Dodd coached. It may be a necessary step to change the culture.
"older fans" are what's keeping us alive, financially

There are only about 6 schools with any sort of chance to win a national championship. The rest of us are competing for best loser.

Your post loses a lot of credibility when you say that you don't think we will recruit any better. That's obviously not true.

We are at a low point with respect to football we haven't seen since 1994. Jury is still out on Collins and we will see. It's hard not to see upside in a lot of different things unless you are really dug in the mud which it seems you are.

You also lose credibility trying to cherry-pick back into history. My "historical perspective" is that Georgia Tech Athletics was never more tanked and in the ööööter than it was in the 70s and 80s. Thanks to names like Rice, Ross, and Cremins, and the great luck of getting into the ACC, Tech overcame the disastrous reign of Dodd as AD. Curry loved Tech so much he went to Bama.

I think we are at an inflection point. It's not a popular opinion but one that I share with you is that the jury is still out on Stansbury for a lot of different reasons that go beyond the selection of coaches.
Curry was told by Dodd that he should take the Alabama job, since winning a MNC at Tech would never happen. Fast forward 3 years and boom goes the dynamite. Not sure why Dodd felt that way about Tech in many aspects he was in a position to influence - but you are exactly right - I was at GT in the 70's and it was going downhill fast.

Sidewalk fan here. Sorry, but this mentality is why mediocrity in the top sports continues to be tolerated. I completely see your point of not being a fair-weather fan, but that doesn’t equal putting up with mediocrity. Force your leaders to be better. So many terrible decisions have been made the last 10-15 years if not longer across the board. You can still show up AND demand they be much, much, much better.

We all want better, but most of us don’t think we should simply do away with sports altogether. That’s just dumbass thinking.

Yes, a school that has won an Orange Bowl in the past 5 years, played in the NC game in BB in the past 15 years, put icons like Calvin, Nomar, Bosh, Geiger, Kenny, Cink, Mize, Duval, Shaq Mason, Kevin Brown, etc in the pros should give up sports. Glad I dont wake up with piss in my Wheaties every morning.

In the time since Dodd has been gone from Tech:
1990 Football National Champions
1990 men’s Final Four
2004 men’s Final Four and played for championship
Women’s Tennis National Champions (Tech’s first and only NCAA national championship)
Numerous college World Series Appearances
Men’s and Women’s basketball have been in NCAA tourney

Uga hasn’t had a football national championship since we have.

Uga men’s basketball team has never made the final four or played for the championship
I think Hugh Durham took UGA to the final 4

Back