Thacker still DC

BuzzinWreck78

Helluva Engineer
I'll give the same questions I'll give to everybody else who wants Stansbury gone:

1) What reason do you have that Angel Cabrera, a Spaniard, is going to make a quality AD hire including a top flight football coaching talent evaluator?

2) What assurances do we have that some booster won't screw everything up royally? IIRC, per Bradley at the AJC, we got Mike Bobinski because Zelnak was allowed to hand pick the next AD by Bud Peterson after writing an especially large check. I'd call that AD the worst GT has had in my lifetime possibly ever. That AD left the GTAA in new all time lows across all sports. And with most of the talent and long timers driven away.

3) What exactly is your axe to grind with Stansbury beyond Collins got a 7-year deal? Given COVID and ditching the spread option, 7 years seems pretty reasonable if you ask me, all things considered. Even today in hindsight. Stansbury has the GTAA back operating at high water marks as a whole, though annoyingly football and MBB have been laggards. I waited actual DECADES for Danny Hall to make meaningful staff changes. Stansbury rolled the entire assistant baseball staff in just two seasons. WBB is at an all time high. VB is at all time high. Golf is still competing for titles. And while I don't like the on the field results with Collins, he brought in the modern recruiting operation that was desperately needed. If anything, the real scathing criticism of Collins' hire has been letting him keep his budget coordinators from Temple instead of digging deeper into the pockets of the GTAA.
1)Can't get worse than 130th so it's worth the risk.
2)Can't get worse than 130th so it's worth the risk.
3) As long as the AD is standing in the way of replacing this 117th to 130th most elite mastermind of mayhem,
then we can't get rid of him fast enough.

1)Can't get worse than 130th so it's worth the risk.
2)Can't get worse than 130th so it's worth the risk.
3) As long as the AD is standing in the way of replacing this 117th to 130th most elite mastermind of mayhem,
then we can't get rid of him fast enough.
So because the football team is 130 out of 130 in passing defense you want to fire the AD? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....... Speaking of Homer Rice, since GTLEE brought up the same thing I was thinking regarding his Lewis hire, you know Homer Rice is approving of all this and a facilitator behind the scenes right? And who is your genius hire for AD anyway?

Last edited:

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
I'll give the same questions I'll give to everybody else who wants Stansbury gone:

1) What reason do you have that Angel Cabrera, a Spaniard, is going to make a quality AD hire including a top flight football coaching talent evaluator?

2) What assurances do we have that some booster won't screw everything up royally? IIRC, per Bradley at the AJC, we got Mike Bobinski because Zelnak was allowed to hand pick the next AD by Bud Peterson after writing an especially large check. I'd call that AD the worst GT has had in my lifetime possibly ever. That AD left the GTAA in new all time lows across all sports. And with most of the talent and long timers driven away.

3) What exactly is your axe to grind with Stansbury beyond Collins got a 7-year deal? Given COVID and ditching the spread option, 7 years seems pretty reasonable if you ask me, all things considered. Even today in hindsight. Stansbury has the GTAA back operating at high water marks as a whole, though annoyingly football and MBB have been laggards. I waited actual DECADES for Danny Hall to make meaningful staff changes. Stansbury rolled the entire assistant baseball staff in just two seasons. WBB is at an all time high. VB is at all time high. Golf is still competing for titles. And while I don't like the on the field results with Collins, he brought in the modern recruiting operation that was desperately needed. If anything, the real scathing criticism of Collins' hire has been letting him keep his budget coordinators from Temple instead of digging deeper into the pockets of the GTAA.
Ultimately it doesn't matter in terms of wants. If next year is a bad football year Stansbury will be gone. Even if deep down no one really wants him gone, he's tied himself to Collins. What it comes down to is judging between the future possibility of Cabrera or a booster screwing up royally in a selection and (in the event of another bad season) the already royally screwed up decisions of Stansbury in managing the football program.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Ultimately it doesn't matter in terms of wants. If next year is a bad football year Stansbury will be gone. Even if deep down no one really wants him gone, he's tied himself to Collins. What it comes down to is judging between the future possibility of Cabrera or a booster screwing up royally in a selection and (in the event of another bad season) the already royally screwed up decisions of Stansbury in managing the football program.
Remember Stansbury's justification for keeping Geoff was basically "look at what saying the course has done for our MBB program". How's that working out so far this year?

cicada

Varsity Lurker
Just to remind everyone wanting the AD fired over Collins, Homer hired Bill Lewis, then got it right afterwards. Why wouldn’t Todd be able to do the same?
Homer Rice pretty much saved Georgia Tech athletics. Tech recently unveiled a statue of the man. Stansbury spent time trying to figure out the proper shade of gold we should be displaying. :naughty:
Seriously, I hope Stansbury is the guy that can right the ship, bring in more revenue and fans, and have a long career at Tech. Besides needing quality athletes and coaches, Tech needs money and more donors. I don't know what his relationship is with the major donors, but I hope it's good.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
I looked at the head coaches Stansbury had at his previous stops. O'Leary and Mike Riley are the best of the lot.
East Tennessee State shut down their football program in 2003 when he left for Oregon State and restarted in 2015. I hope that is not an omen. The list of AD's who shut down a football program is fairly short.

clapper

Dodd-Like
I looked at the head coaches Stansbury had at his previous stops. O'Leary and Mike Riley are the best of the lot.
East Tennessee State shut down their football program in 2003 when he left for Oregon State and restarted in 2015. I hope that is not an omen. The list of AD's who shut down a football program is fairly short.
Damn. I was just about to post the same thing. Great minds and all.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
When you are coming off the worst 4-year performance in school history (an assumption if Collins is fired in the next year) you don’t hire from within (Key) to continue any momentum. You hire outside the org.
In this day and age of coaches and their power, you have to think any new coach will get to pick and choose who he wants on staff.
Next guy probably won't keep any of Collins' assistants. Or at least, he shouldn't be asked to. He should have the leeway to determine keeping anybody if he wants to do that.