Thacker still DC

My guess is Key will become the Head Coach and rebuild the defensive structure if things fail again.

I think that's a possibility; depends on who the AD is in that scenario. If it's a new guy, all bets would be off. Hopefully, the staffing changes work out, though.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it if it comes to that. He'd be well positioned to keep the recruiting infrastructure intact and maintain that momentum. I think he'd recruit a good staff, as well. I realize I am usually against Tech Man hires for Head Coach, but there's decent logic to this one. Of course, there is also some logic to moving on from the O'Leary tree. We'll see.

Last edited:
I think that's a possibility; depends on who the AD is in that scenario. If it's a new guy, all bets would be off. Hopefully, the staffing changes work out, though.

If Collins is fired (especially midseason), then TDope won't be making the next hire.

I am hoping that new staff changes and a change in attitude get things going in the right direction

If Collins is fired (especially midseason), then TDope won't be making the next hire.

I am hoping that new staff changes and a change in attitude get things going in the right direction

I think we are going to perform a lot better. The schedule is the elephant in the room and Collins will have to win 1 or 2 that he shouldn't. Hopeful but not confident, I guess. I believe these changes should have happened last year.

Last edited:
You'd hire the guy that most likely convinced our best player to leave? Or are you basing your hire on the fact that our "best" position coach also happen to have the best talent of any position group? The kind of talent that doesn't even hurt you in the greatest transition in modern football.

I'd hire the guy who clearly did the best work in getting elite athletes to come to GT and take the field wearing white and gold. The guy that USC-West and Texas just got into a bidding war over. Do you see Texas and Southern Cal showing up with bags of money for other members of staff? I think Key is the only other one who has had poach attempts.

If Collins gets fired by mid-season, then Key who has the title of Assistant Head Coach, would be the acting HC until the end of the season. I'm actually hoping that doesn't happen because that would mean we are having a good season. I think if we wind up having an adverse season and the wheels fall off again, we probably need to find a new AD too.

Here’s the rub. It’s hard to repeat in sports. We often see that in regards to winning but the same can be said for losing. It’s gonna be hard for us to be THAT bad again. I believe we’ll be better next year simply by showing up regardless of the coaches. Other teams have lost a lot. We haven’t. The only player we lost who was a net positive is Gibbs. All the others are easily replaceable. I know I’ll get heat for that statement but I’m just looking at it objectively. Whoever plays LB will make tackles like Jackson. We have a lot of young WR’s who can give us the numbers that McGowan gave. And I won’t even discuss the OLinemen or DB’s who are gone. All are easily replaceable and I expect the next group to be an improvement. Our QB play can’t get any worse. It was abysmal.

What I see happening is we win 5-7 games and Collins smiles at getting another year. I believe we are simply stuck in a lost decade where we’ll bounce around mid pack in a bad conference.
What are you talking about.... The Bill Lewis era was bad and Geoff Collins is just as bad maybe worse...We just repeated a historic losing on the Flats twice in the Modern Era...The hope that Collins could recruit his tail off was false....(outside of J. Gibbs)

I guess some could say Geoff Collins is losing on the Flats at an elite level [2021 defenseive stat: Passing Yards / Attempt: 130/130 (to be 130 out of 130 in a category is an accomplishment]....SMH

I'd hire the guy who clearly did the best work in getting elite athletes to come to GT and take the field wearing white and gold. The guy that USC-West and Texas just got into a bidding war over. Do you see Texas and Southern Cal showing up with bags of money for other members of staff? I think Key is the only other one who has had poach attempts.

The debate over Johnson, Hailey, and c****** is on the importance of recruiting va coaching. Not to say that recruiting isn't important, but it's not the first priority.

What are you talking about.... The Bill Lewis era was bad and Geoff Collins is just as bad maybe worse...We just repeated a historic losing on the Flats twice in the Modern Era...The hope that Collins could recruit his tail off was false....(outside of J. Gibbs)

I guess some could say Geoff Collins is losing on the Flats at an elite level [2021 defenseive stat: Passing Yards / Attempt: 130/130 (to be 130 out of 130 in a category is an accomplishment]....SMH
This is definitely worse than the B*** L**** era.

Anyone think Thacker was retained to be a potential fall-guy after next season if things go south again? Especially if the offense makes a significant improvement but defense is still bad.

Listening to the “insiders” at the GoJackets podcast. They seem to think that Thacker is still going to be replaced or will be moved into a new role.

With as much time has passed it seems unlikely to me but what do I know…

Listening to the “insiders” at the GoJackets podcast. They seem to think that Thacker is still going to be replaced or will be moved into a new role.

With as much time has passed it seems unlikely to me but what do I know…

Interesting. There aren't really any roles left for him, I don't think. I guess Collins could take over DC and Thacker could be a dedicated Special Teams coach, but I don't see that. I suppose Collins could bring in someone from the pros after the NFL season is over, but I seriously doubt it. I think Thacker keeps the title and Collins is very hands-on.

My guess is Key will become the Head Coach and rebuild the defensive structure if things fail again.
This is an interesting scenario. I think the odds are low because if we are hiring a new coach we will have a new AD to make the selection. Key might be selected in an open selection process but it is not likely. The more likely way I see this happening is where TStan saves his job by negotiating an early departure by Collins during the season after we reach 6 or 7 losses with Key succeeding Collins mid-season.

If Collins gets fired by mid-season, then Key who has the title of Assistant Head Coach, would be the acting HC until the end of the season. I'm actually hoping that doesn't happen because that would mean we are having a good season. I think if we wind up having an adverse season and the wheels fall off again, we probably need to find a new AD too.

I'll give the same questions I'll give to everybody else who wants Stansbury gone:

1) What reason do you have that Angel Cabrera, a Spaniard, is going to make a quality AD hire including a top flight football coaching talent evaluator?

2) What assurances do we have that some booster won't screw everything up royally? IIRC, per Bradley at the AJC, we got Mike Bobinski because Zelnak was allowed to hand pick the next AD by Bud Peterson after writing an especially large check. I'd call that AD the worst GT has had in my lifetime possibly ever. That AD left the GTAA in new all time lows across all sports. And with most of the talent and long timers driven away.

3) What exactly is your axe to grind with Stansbury beyond Collins got a 7-year deal? Given COVID and ditching the spread option, 7 years seems pretty reasonable if you ask me, all things considered. Even today in hindsight. Stansbury has the GTAA back operating at high water marks as a whole, though annoyingly football and MBB have been laggards. I waited actual DECADES for Danny Hall to make meaningful staff changes. Stansbury rolled the entire assistant baseball staff in just two seasons. WBB is at an all time high. VB is at all time high. Golf is still competing for titles. And while I don't like the on the field results with Collins, he brought in the modern recruiting operation that was desperately needed. If anything, the real scathing criticism of Collins' hire has been letting him keep his budget coordinators from Temple instead of digging deeper into the pockets of the GTAA.

I'll give the same questions I'll give to everybody else who wants Stansbury gone:

1) What reason do you have that Angel Cabrera, a Spaniard, is going to make a quality AD hire including a top flight football coaching talent evaluator?

2) What assurances do we have that some booster won't screw everything up royally? IIRC, per Bradley at the AJC, we got Mike Bobinski because Zelnak was allowed to hand pick the next AD by Bud Peterson after writing an especially large check. I'd call that AD the worst GT has had in my lifetime possibly ever. That AD left the GTAA in new all time lows across all sports. And with most of the talent and long timers driven away.

3) What exactly is your axe to grind with Stansbury beyond Collins got a 7-year deal? Given COVID and ditching the spread option, 7 years seems pretty reasonable if you ask me, all things considered. Even today in hindsight. Stansbury has the GTAA back operating at high water marks as a whole, though annoyingly football and MBB have been laggards. I waited actual DECADES for Danny Hall to make meaningful staff changes. Stansbury rolled the entire assistant baseball staff in just two seasons. WBB is at an all time high. VB is at all time high. Golf is still competing for titles. And while I don't like the on the field results with Collins, he brought in the modern recruiting operation that was desperately needed. If anything, the real scathing criticism of Collins' hire has been letting him keep his budget coordinators from Temple instead of digging deeper into the pockets of the GTAA.
Football is the engine that runs all of those programs and you probably have seen the results in the stands. Loss revenue and the inability to draw new fans. Stansbury hired the current coach and waited too long to make changes. I could make a whole list of my concerns, but that would lead to long debates that won't go anywhere. The only credit I would give him now is the IA2020. I am no fan of Bobinski, but Purdue is playing good football and basketball.

Modern recruiting operation? Aren't we still bottom half of the acc on recruiting budgets?

Otherwise, I agree with most of that post. I think 7 heads was too long for Collins reaume, but that's more hindsight. I think not firing him at the end of the season is a big issue

This is an interesting scenario. I think the odds are low because if we are hiring a new coach we will have a new AD to make the selection. Key might be selected in an open selection process but it is not likely. The more likely way I see this happening is where TStan saves his job by negotiating an early departure by Collins during the season after we reach 6 or 7 losses with Key succeeding Collins mid-season.

When you are coming off the worst 4-year performance in school history (an assumption if Collins is fired in the next year) you don’t hire from within (Key) to continue any momentum. You hire outside the org.

Just to remind everyone wanting the AD fired over Collins, Homer hired Bill Lewis, then got it right afterwards. Why wouldn’t Todd be able to do the same?

Back