Thacker still DC

Here's my positive spin on Thacker. He likes aggressive attacking defense; but to date we haven't had the DL to pull it off. Next season will be crucially dependent on the DL. If the DL can challenge most OL's then the defense can have a decent year.

(Of course the DL is crucial every year regardless of DC and I am stating the obvious)

Im honestly at a loss with Thacker. Felt like he mostly ran a 3 down linemen 3 linebacker nickel package as his base defense even against run heavy teams. He got predictably gashed in the run game but somehow his pas defense was even worse even in a base nickel. Insanity to keep him on payroll.

Im honestly at a loss with Thacker. Felt like he mostly ran a 3 down linemen 3 linebacker nickel package as his base defense even against run heavy teams. He got predictably gashed in the run game but somehow his pas defense was even worse even in a base nickel. Insanity to keep him on payroll.

This. The positive of Thacker retention is it makes this season a true all in make or break season.

He is a young coach and seems pretty bright. Who knows? Maybe it really was Burton and his guys who were the problem. Collins is willing to bet his job that is the case, so I will wait and see.
Makes me wonder whose idea it was to split the DB room to S and CBs. I have no idea if that’s a common strategy elsewhere but it seems you need the back end in particular playing as a unit and putting them in positional silos to do film review and game breakdowns and strategy is a bad idea.

I'm glad some of you can see more outcomes than just "break". I guess I just don't want to see it because I'm a fan that already got my answer.

There are of course outcomes other than break. That doesn't necessarily mean they are highly plausible outcomes. The real shame is that it will probably separate GT football from several successful past alumni who we have no reason to doubt based on their career and track record (Key, Coleman, Tillman, Choice, etc). It wasn't exactly thrilling Burton already had to be deep sixed, but the performance of the secondary given its assets means some combination of Collins, Thacker, and/or Burton is horrendously awful at coaching the secondary. Only the first of those three has a pedigree of producing corners in college, and it is the first one. Apparently Thacker is untouchable so there you go on Burton.

If I'm the AD, I probably hand the keys to Deuce Deuce next. He probably also knows who does and does not carry water on the current staff, and half the battle is getting a fully fleshed out staff of quality coaches.

There are of course outcomes other than break. That doesn't necessarily mean they are highly plausible outcomes. The real shame is that it will probably separate GT football from several successful past alumni who we have no reason to doubt based on their career and track record (Key, Coleman, Tillman, Choice, etc). It wasn't exactly thrilling Burton already had to be deep sixed, but the performance of the secondary given its assets means some combination of Collins, Thacker, and/or Burton is horrendously awful at coaching the secondary. Only the first of those three has a pedigree of producing corners in college, and it is the first one. Apparently Thacker is untouchable so there you go on Burton.

If I'm the AD, I probably hand the keys to Deuce Deuce next. He probably also knows who does and does not carry water on the current staff, and half the battle is getting a fully fleshed out staff of quality coaches.
After next season Choice will have approximately the same level of experience as Dabo before Clemson promoted him. I think this is a good idea.

So Collins is doubling down on turning his dream job into a nightmare. Not a good look. But remember we fans just don't appreciate the progress. Where are the bodies?

I don't think I've ever liked an asst coach more behind the podium and less on the field. He's got a future in something, just not sure it's as a DC.

This. The positive of Thacker retention is it makes this season a true all in make or break season.
No. CGC's contract says he gets 2022 and 2023. Nightmare scenario is they start like 0-5 in 2023, then finish 6-1 with a close loss to ugag at the end of the year, they go to the Cereal Bowl, and he gets a two year extension.

Someone said they had nine months to prepare their body. Best preparation is bourbon - and lots of it.

No. CGC's contract says he gets 2022 and 2023. Nightmare scenario is they start like 0-5 in 2023, then finish 6-1 with a close loss to ugag at the end of the year, they go to the Cereal Bowl, and he gets a two year extension.

Someone said they had nine months to prepare their body. Best preparation is bourbon - and lots of it.
If 2022 is a 3-4 win season CGC won’t be here for 2023.

Here’s the rub. It’s hard to repeat in sports. We often see that in regards to winning but the same can be said for losing. It’s gonna be hard for us to be THAT bad again. I believe we’ll be better next year simply by showing up regardless of the coaches. Other teams have lost a lot. We haven’t. The only player we lost who was a net positive is Gibbs. All the others are easily replaceable. I know I’ll get heat for that statement but I’m just looking at it objectively. Whoever plays LB will make tackles like Jackson. We have a lot of young WR’s who can give us the numbers that McGowan gave. And I won’t even discuss the OLinemen or DB’s who are gone. All are easily replaceable and I expect the next group to be an improvement. Our QB play can’t get any worse. It was abysmal.

What I see happening is we win 5-7 games and Collins smiles at getting another year. I believe we are simply stuck in a lost decade where we’ll bounce around mid pack in a bad conference.
It’s hard to repeat in sports? We literally had the same record 3 years in a row.

Nightmare scenario is TStan signs us up to pay CGC's buyout with three weeks to go before it would be cheaper, then pulls a Radakovich before we can fire him with cause.

Nightmare scenario is TStan signs us up to pay CGC's buyout with three weeks to go before it would be cheaper, then pulls a Radakovich before we can fire him with cause.
If he pulls that what school would hire him? If he did that here he could do it anywhere.

You'd hire the guy that most likely convinced our best player to leave? Or are you basing your hire on the fact that our "best" position coach also happen to have the best talent of any position group? The kind of talent that doesn't even hurt you in the greatest transition in modern football.

So Collins is doubling down on turning his dream job into a nightmare. Not a good look. But remember we fans just don't appreciate the progress. Where are the bodies?
You believe the "dream job" BS? Please. It's all about the Benjamins for Coach Clown.

Remember CGC’s nickname before he arrived at the Flats: “Minister of Mayhem”. I believe that so far he has lived up to this definition when it comes to our FB program & its on-field performance.

1641248994481.png

Last edited:
Back