Thankful for a win.....thoroughly disgusted otherwise.

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
There is nothing positive to preserve in defeating Vanderbilt in Nashville saturday night. It follows as the new week progresses that the supporters Coaches Gailey, Geis, and Nix will have some ammunition to use on us demanding changes. Anyone thinking Coach Gailey is seriously debating going to a no-huddle offense....no way will he deviate from his run and thud offense. Plus the no-huddle was run against the prevent-a-win defense. If you believe in good loses(F$U) and bad loses(Clemson 03, Georgia 02) then you have to believe in good wins (Virginia 02) and bad wins(Duke 02, Vanderbilt 03). Tech played at a level last night that would have beaten almost no one else. While this is my opinion, by midway of the 4th quarter no less than KIM KING I sensed from listening to him on the radio was as thoroughly disgusted as I am. At one point when Tech had gone more than 20 minutes without a first down it sounded as if he wanted to grab some headphones and give Chan Gailey some "friendly" advice. For the first 58 minutes of the game Tech had 217 yards in total offense. Numbers most Tech fans believed would be far surpassed last night. Expect more of the thud offense saturday because Coach Gailey will be scared of giving Philip Rivers and the Wolfpack the football instead of meeting the challenge head on by fighting fire with fire....that is assuming we have some fire in this offense.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
There is nothing positive to preserve in defeating Vanderbilt in Nashville saturday night. It follows as the new week progresses that the supporters Coaches Gailey, Geis, and Nix will have some ammunition to use on us demanding changes. Anyone thinking Coach Gailey is seriously debating going to a no-huddle offense....no way will he deviate from his run and thud offense. Plus the no-huddle was run against the prevent-a-win defense. If you believe in good loses(F$U) and bad loses(Clemson 03, Georgia 02) then you have to believe in good wins (Virginia 02) and bad wins(Duke 02, Vanderbilt 03). Tech played at a level last night that would have beaten almost no one else. While this is my opinion, by midway of the 4th quarter no less than KIM KING I sensed from listening to him on the radio was as thoroughly disgusted as I am. At one point when Tech had gone more than 20 minutes without a first down it sounded as if he wanted to grab some headphones and give Chan Gailey some "friendly" advice. For the first 58 minutes of the game Tech had 217 yards in total offense. Numbers most Tech fans believed would be far surpassed last night. Expect more of the thud offense saturday because Coach Gailey will be scared of giving Philip Rivers and the Wolfpack the football instead of meeting the challenge head on by fighting fire with fire....that is assuming we have some fire in this offense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Right. Because why else would Chan tell us he was going to do something unless he fully intended not to?

LOL ..

i'm sure part of the disgust must be due to the fact that you picked vandy to win in your little office pool.

i'm glad that someone won your money.

Jacket....When Chan Gailey follows through with stated intentions it is a surprise. No way will he attempt to race N.C.State up and down the field.

Ylojk8: It was blood money I am glad to do without....no joke. But can you deep down take something positive from this? Did you accept the performance of Tech in the Duke win last year in the same manner as you appear to be accepting this one? Then while I know you are a very vocal supporter of Georgia Tech football....you have a lot to learn about football.

Jacket....When Chan Gailey follows through with stated intentions it is a surprise. No way will he attempt to race N.C.State up and down the field.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He said the QB job would be open to all comers back in December, and it was.

He said they would find somewhere for Bilbo to play, and they did.

What is it exactly that he said he would do, and did not?

Originally posted by The Jacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He said the QB job would be open to all comers back in December, and it was.

He said they would find somewhere for Bilbo to play, and they did.

What is it exactly that he said he would do, and did not?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just how close
do you follow Tech football...no disrespect intended. Coach Gailey made statements concerning getting Damarius Bilbo playing time in August 2002 AND August 2003. The fact that Bilbo finally makes it to the field where he contributed right away shows what we may have been missing all this time. As for the statement on the quarterback situation Coach Gailey was back pedaling from earlier quotes that week stating which...if I correctly recall...was that the job belonged to AJ Suggs through spring practice and then was to be reevaluated afterwards.

Ylojk8: It was blood money I am glad to do without....no joke. But can you deep down take something positive from this? Did you accept the performance of Tech in the Duke win last year in the same manner as you appear to be accepting this one? Then while I know you are a very vocal supporter of Georgia Tech football....you have a lot to learn about football.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">hahahaha .. of course i have a lot to learn about football .. but this coming from someone who compares the first start of a true freshman in the first game of his true freshman season to a sophomore who has had playing experience before .. is a laugh and thank you for it. that's a knee slapper that one is.

you want positives? are you sure you want positives?

reggie ball matured more so. we made a comeback when we were down 7 points. bilbo contributed as a position player and we found a nice threat at WR. XMac caught a timing curl pass and fought hard for a first down.

i'm a rookie football fan. even i know that there are negatives and plenty of them.

our 3rd down conversion rate is piss poor. we got the ball twice off of turnovers in the vandy side and got 0 points off both those turnovers. our play calling was pretty poor in a few situations especially 3rd and very short and the 4th and 6?

you want the biggest positive?

our team played with heart. an intangible that i haven't seen displayed to such an extent since the longest while. when was the last time we executed a come from behind to tie the game in the final minutes and absolutely enthrall in overtime?

the last time this kind of showing happened was when kerry watkins made the catch to beat clemson in 2000.

since then, in 2001 our defense was the one giving up big plays and letting other teams have come from behind wins.

in 2002, we had opportunities to score come from behind wins/ties in many games but they always ended in interceptions and such.

finally, we made a huge come from behind win and yeah it was against vandy.

well bottomline is that we won and i'd rather be discussing the positives/negatives of a win rather than that of a loss.

yeah .. i do not understand football. i'm a rookie. take that as a given. also know that you are no football expert either.

ylojk8: I can see we are running right inline with our 99% disagreement rate. You bring up the "heart" that Tech showed. Winning by showing "heart" in my opinion is when a team has maximized its abilities during a game and then goes beyond that ability while performing. Do you believe the Yellow Jackets played anywhere near their abilities? Personally I don't because I believe Tech's players as individuals have considerable abilities all across the board. Certainly more than what we are seeing. On the other hand Vanderbilt....a team without Tech's overall athlectic abilities, a bunch of players whose size and speed with few execptions in the starting lineups did not compare....played Tech off their feet completely. Fact is they played as a team above their abilities. Though they lost they showed heart! Fact is Vanderbilt is a team that is much better coached than Georgia Tech. When we face teams such as N.C. State saturday who have equal athlectic skills AND far superior coaching...it could be another record setting day.

ylojk8: I can see we are running right inline with our 99% disagreement rate. You bring up the "heart" that Tech showed. Winning by showing "heart" in my opinion is when a team has maximized its abilities during a game and then goes beyond that ability while performing. Do you believe the Yellow Jackets played anywhere near their abilities? Personally I don't because I believe Tech's players as individuals have considerable abilities all across the board. Certainly more than what we are seeing. On the other hand Vanderbilt....a team without Tech's overall athlectic abilities, a bunch of players whose size and speed with few execptions in the starting lineups did not compare....played Tech off their feet completely. Fact is they played as a team above their abilities. Though they lost they showed heart! Fact is Vanderbilt is a team that is much better coached than Georgia Tech. When we face teams such as N.C. State saturday who have equal athlectic skills AND far superior coaching...it could be another record setting day.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL

statelinejacket, bless your heart.

yeah, Vandy played with heart and went ahead 17-10.

Tech came back to first tie it with a 90 yard drive with 2 odd minutes to go. then while letting vandy go down the field in the 30 some seconds blocked a possible go ahead FG attempt. then in OT we made two plays one in offense to score a touchdown and one in defense to get an interception.

obviously Tech didn't display any heart. LOL

oh and by the way, NC St with their superior coaching lost last year to us at their house when they were undefeated.

stateline, to me there are two positives from last night's game. First, we won. Ugly as it was it's better than a loss. Second, coming back with the tying TD and the OT win is a positive sign, even though we never should have been in that position.

You're memory seems a little off concerning Bilbo though. You do remember that he was injured last year right? Thumb problem ring a bell? Something requiring off season surgery? If he had trouble with direct snaps I don't think he would have made much impact as a WR last year. He's also been injured this year, or did you not hear about his split toe, I think it was? Kind of hard to get on the field if you can't run.

I'm not excited at all about what we've shown offensively so far this year. But to go from that disappointment to questioning Chan's integrity seems suspect to me.

Here's my thing. If you don't like the man that's fine with me. Why do you feel like you have to keep justifying it? You don't have to prove he's a liar or predict that he will back down from something he's said. Just say you don't like him and let it go.

ncjacket: First...why has there been no mention in any injury reports of a toe or foot injury? Why the story in last weeks papers with Damarius Bilbo talking about why isn't he in the lineup and maybe he should have transfered. Second....lots of players have "off season surgery". The biggest knock last year on Bilbo was his knowledge of the offensive system. Chan Gailey has never backed off his assertions that he was going to get Bilbo on the field....last year or this year....but they have been mostly empty promises except for yesterday and the Fresno State game. I have never stated a dislike for Coach Gailey....I would be happy if he just trusted the offense to a Rob Spence (Toledo Rockets Offensive Coordinator) or someone with the current collegiate credentials. Bye Bye or reassignments to Buddy Geis and Patrick Nix.

stateline: I challenge you to go post on The Hive... you would not last FIVE POSTS!
owned.gif

By Ylo:
hahahaha .. of course i have a lot to learn about football

Accurately stated. While there is nothing wrong with limited knowledge about any subject, its best to not try to overdo it.

Stateline has simply stated the truth about the "win" last night in Nashville.

Give it some time. After a while, you will come to understand what is important to improving the program.

A win is a win, though!

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
By Ylo:
hahahaha .. of course i have a lot to learn about football

Accurately stated. While there is nothing wrong with limited knowledge about any subject, its best to not try to overdo it.

Stateline has simply stated the truth about the "win" last night in Nashville.

Give it some time. After a while, you will come to understand what is important to improving the program.

A win is a win, though!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL .. glad that you can join the party LLCoolJ.

so are you telling me that we cannot see anything positives from the "win" last night? i mean nothing? if you can see anything positive from last night's "win" .. you have no understanding of football? LOL

statelinejacket is a "cynic" who can see gailey do no good. he is not an encyclopaedia of football knowledge and neither are you.

take a little time off and enjoy the win.

stateline, don't know why you didn't see anything about Bilbo's foot injury. I don't get the Atl papers but it was posted several places that I saw. As far as last year, it's pretty common knowledge that he had a thumb injury requiring off season surgery. It gave him trouble handling the ball (taking the snap and handing off).

My mistake on your feelings about Gailey. I guess it's just a natural assumption on my part from reading your posts.
smile.gif

Ylo,
the positive from last night is a win.
Its also positive that RBall took the game on himself bacause he hates losing.

Whats negative is the play callng in the crunch by coach.

Second positive: Joe Ham started his career the same way!

Go Jackets

LLCoolJ .. i agree with you. reggie ball in the last two minutes came alive and almost single handedly won that game. that's a positive. there are more positives but none bigger than that one.

now what you have done is come away with a positive from the "win" last night and if you can do that then according to mr. statelinejacket, you posess no understanding of football. doesn't that suck?

LOL

ylo writes:

now what you have done is come away with a positive from the "win" last night and if you can do that then according to mr. statelinejacket, you posess no understanding of football. doesn't that suck?

According to comments made by Gailey, maybe there really was a positive from Saturday night.
Evidently, we will now be spreading the field on offense to take advantage of what we have.

If our win in Nashvile had been accomplished with the plodding style, surely we would have stuck with it for State.

This is real good news!

Back